COMPLETE: GTECH Center

I certainly don't think that a building must be Modernist in style to be useful or relevent in modern times (I didn't choose my avatar for no reason :D ). There are certainly many examples in Providence of traditionally-styled buildings, both new and old, that contribute greatly to the city's vibrancy and beauty. However, I don't see any reason to limit the city's architectural palette to those styles. Many of Providence's most beloved buildings were quite daring in their day, so why not continue that by allowing today's most daring architecture as well? Traditional architecture should certainly be allowed, but it shouldn't be the only option. Modern-style buildings should be respectful of surrounding architecture, but shouldn't be forced to imitate it. Gtech does this well, making its own statement without overshadowing those of its neighbors. I believe the other Modernist proposals we have seen for Providence will do likewise, and should be just as welcome as the Courtyard or Westin hotels.

And all of the cities you cited do have a large of their fabric as existing traditional architecture. They can afford experimentation. New towns and neighborhoods might not have that luxury. Should they be all modernist - i.e. 'of our time'? If traditional architecture is being produced, isn't it also of our time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is also important to note that, with the exception of the "Modernist" styles, virtually all of architectural history has consisted of expanding upon ideas and motifs taken from earlier periods. In that sense, for example, the Westin is just as legitimate as the Biltmore. Both hotels took motifs from past periods and applied them to a building form that didn't exist in those periods. I would argue that the Westin is "of our time" as much as the Biltmore was of its.

Yes! Exactly! But I spend a lot of time with architects, review boards, competitions who exclude traditional architecture because they say 'that was then, this is now'. It's frustrating, because I think that both 'traditions' (pun intennded) can be developed and can inform each other, but if I am not allowed to use one because it is restricted (and in my experience it is usually the traditional that is excluded) then we don't have the possibility of a full-bodied architecture of our time.

BTW, I can do both styles, tho I find traditional styles to be both more challenging and more creative.

While we're on the topic of modern archectiture, check this out!!!

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25641

North Korea trying to build the world's tallest hotel and its' been unfinished for over a decade. They built this behomoth while their people starve and they build a nuclear weapon. Man, what a country...

I guess the GTECH workers moved in today, the Journal had a story about where they could find coffee.

Get your morning jolt [ProJo.com]

I think it is interesting that Dunkin Donuts is feeling the need to get into Capital Center, would that indicate that Capital Center has 'arrived' as a neighborhood?

I guess the GTECH workers moved in today, the Journal had a story about where they could find coffee.

Get your morning jolt [ProJo.com]

I think it is interesting that Dunkin Donuts is feeling the need to get into Capital Center, would that indicate that Capital Center has 'arrived' as a neighborhood?

Well, it is far when you're stepping out of your office for a quick cuppa. I'm about halfway between the Thayer Street and Dorrance Street Dunkin Donuts and would actually welcome one in Capital Center. All the DDs Downcity are out of that quick walk from Capital Center, even the one in the mall is out of the way since you have to make your way all the way to the 3rd floor. Though I usually go to Cafe Chocolad on North Main for my afternoon fix. Sometimes I head to DD for a bagel sandwich as a cheap lunch, and it helps when I'm low on cash and have some money left in my DD Card.

Well, it is far when you're stepping out of your office for a quick cuppa. I'm about halfway between the Thayer Street and Dorrance Street Dunkin Donuts and would actually welcome one in Capital Center. All the DDs Downcity are out of that quick walk from Capital Center, even the one in the mall is out of the way since you have to make your way all the way to the 3rd floor. Though I usually go to Cafe Chocolad on North Main for my afternoon fix. Sometimes I head to DD for a bagel sandwich as a cheap lunch, and it helps when I'm low on cash and have some money left in my DD Card.

I walked around it yesterday. The weekend construction workers apparently don't mind people inside the fence.

It looks like three ground-floor retail units on the Waterplace side. There is a smallish unit that is on Memorial and abuts the loading dock. Then there is a fairly large space which looks like it will be Morimoto's from the decor. This goes almost the entire length (maybe 3/4) of the curve. I assume Ruth's Chris will then be going into the side unit along the river, which is also a sizable space.

They have also started their plantings for the landscaping.

Archived