COMPLETE: GTECH Center

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

few observations from tonight:

Ruth's Chris looks amazing, the red lighting inside seems like it is going to have an amazing atmosphere, and then paulimoto's if it moves in there, has a lot of space, and seems like it will add good flavor to the area.

Overall the building did a great job incorporating the current area, and keeping that up, also fidelity first floor seems like it is going to be really nice when it is finished, and once waterplace is finished the area is going to be alive, because even with restuarant traffic it adds more life.

This is a really good thing for the city, it looks great and adds a lot to the area. :D

the beauty of this is....no render could ever show what does pictures show (thanx matt)....i went to the PC game today (WE WON!!) and theyre was major foot traffic all around downtown....very impressed with the way the city is looking. i cant wait to try Ruth's Chris...and if some1 goes before me.....please tell me how it went!!

yes, we did the Lighting of the Christmas trees event at the Convention Center and then Fire and Ice last night and the city had such a differant (in a positive way) feel. The Westin II looks so much bigger than I thought/pictures show. GTech looks really great. We made use of the skybridges linking the mall, Westin, and Convention Center so I could look down/out at all the sights. I can't wait until next spring/summer when more of the construction is done and the trees fil back in...

I agree with that 100%. I don't know which annoys me more, those who vilify anything "modern," or those who think anything "traditional" is uninspired and unoriginal. There are masterpieces and duds in just about any style.

I also agree that there's nothing especially original about Gtech. At a glance, it looks like it could have been built just about anytime from 1930 to the present. What has me excited about it is that it is a pretty good example of an architectural style that is seriously lacking in Providence.

Actually, I was in Boston last week and walked by there, I kinda hate it:

2006-1125_russiawharf002.jpg

2006-1125_russiawharf004.jpg

It doesn't interact with the street half as well as GTECH does, and it's waterside area is completely hidden from the Greenway side, one would have to know it was there, by design I imagine.

The building is so large because it encases a Central Artery vent building.

Actually, I was in Boston last week and walked by there, I kinda hate it:

It doesn't interact with the street half as well as GTECH does, and it's waterside area is completely hidden from the Greenway side, one would have to know it was there, by design I imagine.

The building is so large because it encases a Central Artery vent building.

from the pics (haven't seen the H2O side in person yet), I think it interacts very well with all sides. yes, the south and west sides are a glass curtain wall for the most part, but that offers good reflective views and diversified levels of light. The Ruth's Chris side looks really good in the way it interacts with waterplace...

from the pics (haven't seen the H2O side in person yet), I think it interacts very well with all sides. yes, the south and west sides are a glass curtain wall for the most part, but that offers good reflective views and diversified levels of light. The Ruth's Chris side looks really good in the way it interacts with waterplace...

I know I'm a minority view in this forum - but I'm still not all that excited - I wonder about the staying power of a building like this.

As to the 21st century - one reason I'm not overwhelmed by this building is that is very similar to a building that I worked in during the late 70's that was designed in the late 50's in Cincinnati. Not much new here.

I don't believe materials or style have anything to do with being modern or foward looking - it's just a choice of style. And if you like that style - fine. I think a zippy building can be done in many styles and materials.

But that's just me... :whistling:

Archived