New Greenville developments

gs3

Well, I just found out through a quick email that the building will be torn down. I don't know what will go in its place yet. I was hoping it would have been converted into loft/office space. Hopefully something nice replaces it.

You're kidding me? :shok:

Do local developers have ANY vision??? Any, any at all??????? Any?

The current building is perfect to rehab into the same kind of building as the many in Atlanta on Howell Mill....ie: West Side Urban Market with Star Provisions and Abattoir. OR Amsterdam Walk near Piedmont Park.

http://www.westsideurbanmarket.com/home

http://amsterdamwalk.com/

Some of the local developers in their starched khakis and Brighton belts need to get out and see the real world some time......get some vision!!!!

End rant!

The current building is perfect to rehab into the same kind of building as the many in Atlanta on Howell Mill....ie: West Side Urban Market with Star Provisions and Abattoir. OR Amsterdam Walk near Piedmont Park.

Some of the local developers in their starched khakis and Brighton belts need to get out and see the real world some time......get some vision!!!!

End rant!

Unfortunately i'm not kidding. I don't know who is doing the work but I am highly disappointed in this news too. On top of it being torn down, I just found out nothing is planned for the site either apparently. <_< I can't figure out why anybody would want to tear down a building like this especially with nothing planned for where it is located. :dontknow: I'll try to find out more information about this development for you.

Edited by citylife

End rant!

I think it is being torn down by the owner who has had it for decades. I always thought it would make a great nightclub for a 40 Watt type club. They have been slowly tearing down sections for weeks.

I think it is being torn down by the owner who has had it for decades. I always thought it would make a great nightclub for a 40 Watt type club. They have been slowly tearing down sections for weeks.

Thanks for the info. A shame this is being torn down. :( Could be a great space!

If you remember - a scene from Clooney's movie was filmed there too! So I guess that would make it an historical landmark for Greenville.

Didn't realize that. I never really knew all the area locations used for scenes.

A movie company finds it worthy to use for a shoot.....the owner simply wants to tear it down.

Any idea who the owner is?

Ok, so why is the City installing a sidewalk to the end of East Broad Street? It looks like they might also redo that intersection with McDaniel Avenue, but the City's plans online for this project just have the sidewalk stopping. Where do they expect people to go?? I'm all for the infrastructure improvements and visual enhancements, but I'm not sure I understand why this money isn't spent elsewhere (unless they're going to construct a sidewalk up or down McDaniel to tie into other walking paths...) :huh:

Ok, so why is the City installing a sidewalk to the end of East Broad Street? It looks like they might also redo that intersection with McDaniel Avenue, but the City's plans online for this project just have the sidewalk stopping. Where do they expect people to go?? I'm all for the infrastructure improvements and visual enhancements, but I'm not sure I understand why this money isn't spent elsewhere (unless they're going to construct a sidewalk up or down McDaniel to tie into other walking paths...) :huh:

The sidewalk will eventually extend to the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Cleveland Park from what i'm hearing next to the new Ridgeland Condos. Lots of people bike and walk from Cleveland Park to downtown and sidewalks are needed in this area because of it.

The sidewalk will eventually extend to the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Cleveland Park from what i'm hearing next to the new Ridgeland Condos. Lots of people bike and walk from Cleveland Park to downtown and sidewalks are needed in this area because of it.

Thanks, I'm glad to know that they have a vision.

For those walking or biking the swamp rabbit to downtown, you can't beat taking it all the way to Main Street. This, though, will be a great connection to McBee Station's Publix and Staples.

I don't know where to post this, so i'll just post it here. It looks like KDS Properties has put the Main at McBee site up for sale. The company has pretty much given up on the project that was proposed for the site apparently and is willing to build something else.

I don't know where to post this, so i'll just post it here. It looks like KDS Properties has put the Main at McBee site up for sale. The company has pretty much given up on the project that was proposed for the site apparently and is willing to build something else.

This is excellent news. That site deserves something better than Main at McBee (especially since the project was obviously not progressing). A savvy developer with plenty of experience could probably get this site for a great price and make it something truly special. Holder Properties, where are you? ;)

Edited by Greenville

This is excellent news. That site deserves something better than Main at McBee (especially since the project was obviously not progressing). A savvy developer with plenty of experience could probably get this site for a great price and make it something truly special. Holder Properties, where are you? ;)

I agree 100%. Main @ McBee was a classy design, but nothing that we don't currently have already... That portion of the skyline is plagued by 8-12 story buildings. And, let me say that it is great to have that kind of mid-rise density, but there needs to be an anchor of considerable height to break-up that horizontal line that is the skyline of the Court Sq area. More importantly, it will be great to have continuous retail (with the McBee Bookend) to Spring St.

A little more height, and a national retailer at ground level facing McBee. That's all I ask. :rolleyes: Glad to see it up for sale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The City's DPC applications are all screwed up this month. None of them lead you to the correct document. Fortunately, most of the staff reports (word documents) do link correctly.

So, does anyone know what storefront the 104 Augusta Street application is for? The link brings up the application for a deck addition on North Street, though the word document talks about what seems like a fairly significant renovation engaging the street/pedestrian.

DPC page: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...ationCommission

Does this include the road diet and large sidewalks, or is this a minor overhaul like simply adding some landscaping?

Is the stimulus money paying for this?

It's #22 on this list and yes it's shovel ready: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/BS128203210.PDF I believe the stimulus money is paying for at least part of this project. Not sure how much though. From my understanding, the road would go from six lanes to four with a landscaped median, buried powerlines, new decorative street/sidewalk lights, widened sidewalks, and a new traffic light on black masts at University Ridge.