New Greenville developments

gs3

Anyone know what is going on with the old Rocky Creek Bakehouse? A new patio / pergola is being constructed in the front and work is obviously being done. A new restaurant? :dontknow:

IMG_9292.jpg

Addy who owns Addy's downtown purchased it and is opening the Hans & Frans Bier Garden or something like that.

The basic structure (walls and roof) are now up at The Great Escape theaters. A good portion of trees are being cleared between 385 and the theater, so when the decorative front / neon / etc is in place, this should show up well from the interstate.

IMG_9293.jpg

I missed something somewhere, but where exactly is this? I don't remember reading about it.

Great news on the Hans & Frans Bier Garden!

I missed something somewhere, but where exactly is this? I don't remember reading about it.

Here is the link to the corp website for Great Escape: http://www.greatescapetheatres.com/Growth-and-Opportunity.html

The new location here is off 385, between the 185 interchange and Simpsonville (Fairview Road). Not sure how many screens it will have . ANyone know?

Not sure how many screens it will have . ANyone know

To answer my own question, here is an article about the theater. It will have 14 screens, of which one will be an IMAX. It will also have a lounge/restaurant where you can get food and drink (I'm assuming full bar). Article from WYFF website:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/22092088/detail.html

IMAX? No, more like an IMIN. Once Hollywood Cinemas cancelled their IMAX plans, Great Escape announced they would put in a tiny, stunted version of IMAX, not the full-sized screen that makes IMAX so wonderful. Want to know what industry insiders call the runt-sized IMAX display like we are getting?

YAMS.

It stands for "Your Average Movie Screen."

Did anyone detect a hint of bitterness? whistling.gif

IMAX? No, more like an IMIN. Once Hollywood Cinemas cancelled their IMAX plans, Great Escape announced they would put in a tiny, stunted version of IMAX, not the full-sized screen that makes IMAX so wonderful. Want to know what industry insiders call the runt-sized IMAX display like we are getting?

YAMS.

The Hollywood 20 screen would have been a smaller than average IMAX screen also, so no difference there. The screen Great Escape is installing will still be bigger than your average movie screen though and have more seats. I have the site plans for the entire new theater so I should know. wink.gif

Edited by citylife

IMAX? No, more like an IMIN. Once Hollywood Cinemas cancelled their IMAX plans, Great Escape announced they would put in a tiny, stunted version of IMAX, not the full-sized screen that makes IMAX so wonderful. Want to know what industry insiders call the runt-sized IMAX display like we are getting? Did anyone detect a hint of bitterness? whistling.gif

Quick, somebody call Great Escape....tell them we don't want the IMAX....take it out....take out the lounge and the food too.....knock it down to 4 screens.....make the outside ugly......raise prices to 40 bucks a ticket......just make the place bomb. :lol:

The Hollywood 20 screen would have been a smaller than average IMAX screen also, so no difference there. The screen Great Escape is installing will still be bigger than your average movie screen though and have more seats. I have the site plans for the entire new theater so I should know. wink.gif

Good clarification, Citylife!

....Still... I can't wrap my pea-sized brain around the reasoning that a "lesser" IMAX would be good enough for the Upstate. (Yep, I'm being "Johnny Raincloud" on this; sorry for the negativity. I've seen quite a few full-sized IMAX films and they are all astounding. I just don't want to be dissapointed!)

Well, it looks like it will be a nice theater but I can't imagine myself driving out there just because of a larger screen. If it were full IMAX I would definitely check it out.

I aggree with the above with one caveat, depends on the movie. I remember folks lining up at the camelot when the episode I came out (blech) because they had a bigger screen. I would drive the extra 10 miles to see something like Avatar even if the IMAX was watered down.

I think its great that we are getting any IMAX, it's better than nothing. The real deal IMAX theaters are costly and most of the movies shot in true IMAX are not very lowest-common-denominator friendly so without a large populus of people interested in seeing "Under the Sea" a large true IMAX would fail here. Most of the time you have to attach one of these to another tourist draw like a museum (next to the children's museum maybe?) to work, but even still, you need the population to support it.

So, that being said, Im happy to be fortunate to soon have that option so close by until the bigger one comes.

YAMS.

I saw Avatar in 3-D at the IMAX screen in Charleston last weekend (a "runt-sized IMAX" as you would call it) and it was phenomenal. We will have the same kind of experience in Greenville, and it will be great. On top of that, ours will have the added food and beverage options in addition to the normal movie concessions.

I'm sure this theater will be nicer than anything most people here have been to. And if not, you should still be thankful that we're getting something new in Greenville - something most cities would love to have.

I saw Avatar in 3-D at the IMAX screen in Charleston last weekend (a "runt-sized IMAX" as you would call it) and it was phenomenal. We will have the same kind of experience in Greenville, and it will be great. On top of that, ours will have the added food and beverage options in addition to the normal movie concessions.

I'm sure this theater will be nicer than anything most people here have been to. And if not, you should still be thankful that we're getting something new in Greenville - something most cities would love to have.

You are right, Greenville, I/we should be thankful. I gave the wrong impression, I'll definitely be in the Great Escape line when a worthy movie comes around. It's just the inferiority complex bubbling to the surface - how come Mom likes Charlotte and Atlanta better and we don't get all the cool things too? grin.png

You are right, Greenville, I/we should be thankful. I gave the wrong impression, I'll definitely be in the Great Escape line when a worthy movie comes around. It's just the inferiority complex bubbling to the surface - how come Mom likes Charlotte and Atlanta better and we don't get all the cool things too? grin.png

You know Charlotte's Imax is the same type, right? Any suburban theater gets this type of Imax.

You know Charlotte's Imax is the same type, right? Any suburban theater gets this type of Imax.

Thanks gsupstate - it's nice to hear Charlotte's is not full sized. It eases my inferiority complex a bit!

Sort of on topic - As we know Greenville is a "Test Market." Wouldn't it be great to have them test the new "glasses-free" 3D theatres here? Don't know about you nice folks, but the glasses during AVATAR gave me a wicked headache! (No, this is not a movie critique.)

Thanks gsupstate - it's nice to hear Charlotte's is not full sized. It eases my inferiority complex a bit!

Sort of on topic - As we know Greenville is a "Test Market." Wouldn't it be great to have them test the new "glasses-free" 3D theatres here? Don't know about you nice folks, but the glasses during AVATAR gave me a wicked headache! (No, this is not a movie critique.)

THANK YOU! Those glasses drove me crazy -- and DID give me a headache. For all the technology in them, you'd think they'd have overcome that problem.

I thought Camelot had a 3-D screen where you didn't need to wear those glasses. dontknow.gif

I'm pretty sure the one in discovery place is full size.

You are right about the one at Discovery Place, but then all you'll be able to watch are things like LIfe of the Bumble Bee and Trip Through the Stars....no first run movies. Charlotte's IMAX that shows first run movies (in the burbs) is just like ours. That is the case nationwide. First run movie IMAX theaters are like ours. Museum type IMAX theaters, while larger, will not be showing first run movies.

You are right about the one at Discovery Place, but then all you'll be able to watch are things like LIfe of the Bumble Bee and Trip Through the Stars....no first run movies. Charlotte's IMAX that shows first run movies (in the burbs) is just like ours. That is the case nationwide. First run movie IMAX theaters are like ours. Museum type IMAX theaters, while larger, will not be showing first run movies.

I was there this past summer and they were advertising Transformers 2.