New Greenville developments

gs3

I just looked at the plans. All im gonna say is, "why?" This thing will stick out like a sore thumb. There is nothing. And i mean nothing like this nearby. The closest thing is the condos near cleveland park in a neighborhood setting. The mix match of roof lines is just... I dont know what to say. If it were me and i did do something in that neighborhood Id keep the design similar to whats already there. Wtf were they thinking.

I think that is the point. The area in question has a very low residential footprint. That has to be something the city wants to fix.

The more worrisome part I have for this plan is the water meditation plan for it. The stream there is already prone to flooding and this could hurt it even farther. 

This has no business being built anywhere! Those designs look straight out of the 1980s.

I think that is the point. The area in question has a very low residential footprint. That has to be something the city wants to fix.

The more worrisome part I have for this plan is the water meditation plan for it. The stream there is already prone to flooding and this could hurt it even farther. 

That is why the building is on a platform, it is designed so that if the site floods the water can go under the building.

A very good addition in that location, it won't be appreciated until it's built out.

What is this conversation about?  The Park Avenue condos or the Lowndes Hill Drive proposal? There seems to be some confusion in the comments.

Edited by B&R

The Lowndes Hill project proposal was not discussed in detail, but vicupstate posted a link to the document earlier. It appears to be some sort of basketball complex with bizarre architecture overlooking I-385.

The Park Avenue condo proposal has its own thread, but was initially discussed here as well, and the responses have been confusing because it is not clear which project was being discussed in a few posts

I just looked at the plans. All im gonna say is, "why?" This thing will stick out like a sore thumb. There is nothing. And i mean nothing like this nearby. The closest thing is the condos near cleveland park in a neighborhood setting. The mix match of roof lines is just... I dont know what to say. If it were me and i did do something in that neighborhood Id keep the design similar to whats already there. Wtf were they thinking.

Giant basketball domes? Um...no.

Edited by StrangeCock

• 3 weeks later...

The flood plain issue doesn't seem to be resolve-able for this location.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2015/FEBRUARY/PlanningCommission/02-19-2015/V-15-65-405WestfieldStreet.pdf

Apparently this building is going to be converted into condominiums, assuming approval and the flood plain issues are resolved.

I would flat out deny this. Being honest there shouldn't  be anything there.

From reading the attachment, it is, if the floor is raised up.

Who would want to live in a flood zone? I know I wouldn't. Would you? That's unless they are going to demo the whole building, raise the level of the property 5-10 feet, then construct a building on top of that. That I might see. But trying to raise the floor is not, and I do mean not, going to remedy that problem.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2015/FEBRUARY/PlanningCommission/02-19-2015/V-15-78-307TownesStreet.pdf

It appears that renovation of the old Jewish Synagogue is finally moving forward, as a residence. 

I do like this. The only practical was to reuse this building. But I hope they can renovate this one as well as the one that was done on Hampton Avenue. I had reservations with that. But that turned out great. So I know it can be done. 

^ The point is to get the living space higher than the flood would get. Quite common on the Charleston peninsula.   

Well, we are not in Charleston.