First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

it would be GREAT if he called it levine village. most 'real' places are named for people who created them, rather than some fictional name or word made up by a committee of over-caffeinated marketing types.

i totally agree about the over-use of fictional names. but, the problem i have with that marketing practice is the "over-use" part. naming every project after yourself will eventually become over-used. i have just never been a fan of someone stamping their name across everything they touch. i guess i am just suspicous of that kind of "ego". this practice, IMO, becomes an "over-caffeinated" branding in its own. anyways, it's his land and he can do with it what he may... and if history serves us well, it will be named "levine" something.

Levinon :)

now, who could argue with that... brilliant.

Edited by cinco

The park is listed at 4 acres. Is that just one city block? Is the park now only going between 7th and 8th, or is it going to be between 7th and 9th with the other buildings jutting into it?

I didn't notice the rendering when I first read the article this morning. It gives a bit of an indication as to the size and scale of the park.

170574020880.gif

I don't understand why they would plan tear down the two old buildings along the trolley tracks (Dixies and the old warehouse). They were originally planned to anchor the park, along with a relocated Treloar house. These renderings clearly do not include those.

An arched Brevard street is an interesting twist. I'd rather save the older buildings, though, and have him do a smaller park. They could put the 7th/trolley highrise at 8th/Brevard instead of an expanded park.

I'm sure these plans are only conceptual, so we'll see what actually happens.

I question whether or not this article really means anything. I think a lot of people are getting tired of Levine sitting on this property. He was probably feeling the pressure so he released a load of BS that we already knew just to pacify people for another 20 or 30 years. I hope we can at least see the University, Park, NC Dance Theatre, and maybe one mid-rise residential building come around in the next two of three years (that's completion, I don't want to wait three years for an announcment of these buildings).

I went to the First Ward Meeting last night. There were some updates given on the Drakeford 8th Square project, and on the Furman project on the eastern half of the current First Ward Park.

The Drakeford project, as indicated by the rezoning request, will be single family homes inspired by some homes in Charleston. They will be three stories tall, roughly 2-3000 sq ft in size, and between $400k-$500k in price. They will be built by the company founded by Mr. Burbank of Saussy-Burbank fame.

The Furman project is moving forward, but there are a few variations of how it turns out, depending on where the Afro-American Cultural Center chooses to relocate.

The city council will vote in their meeting later this month whether to sell the eastern half of the current first ward park to Blvd Centro. Centro also has an option to purchase the strip mall at 7th and McDowell. If those go through, Furman will control the entire block between 6th, McDowell, 7th, and Myers. His plan is to build condos on that entire block, although he will leave a greenway through the center of the block, due to an underground stream/culvert.

The recent twist in this plan, though, is that the AACC no longer plans to stay or expand at their current location. They will choose to relocate to either the Spirit Square complex or the corner of 7th and McDowell from their current facility in the old church at the northwest corner of 7th and Myers. If they vote to locate across 7th Street, Furman will give them a site on his block in exchange for the the lot behind the current AACC between Parkside, 7th, and Alexander. He would put 3-story townhouses on that lot.

As none of these land deals or sales have gone through, this is still just a hypothetical project. However, if everything goes through, construction will begin next summer. Whether or not AACC relocates on that block, I believe it is still likely that the city will trade or sell the block between Parkside, Alexander, and 7th to Furman as part of the funding plan for the AACC.

Some members of the First Ward neighborhood are against the development of the Parkside lot. The most compelling point against the project is the loss of open space. That open space will be even more important to the neighborhood when the First Ward park is dismantled next year. With a new First Ward park only a hypothetical plan in Levine's filing cabinet, it is entirely possible that First Ward ends up with no park.

To mitigate the potential loss of open space, Center City Partners and Park & Rec looking to partner with the school district on a new playfield. They want to speed existing plans to raze the old First Ward Elementary school for a much needed school playground/playfield. By designing the playfield to be open to the neighborhood in off-hours, it would mitigate the loss of open space in the neighborhood. However, CMS's space shortage may mean that such a plan could not take place anytime in the next few years.

post-670-1130978636_thumb.jpg

post-670-1130978654_thumb.jpg

post-670-1130978837_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report Dubone. I tried to get there but work and family prevailed.

I have to say the land deals are disapponting news. With the current 1st Ward Park going away, losing the open space and retail would be a significant loss, even with Levinon.

In the 1st Ward Master Plan, 1 major goal was: "The neighborhood should have the amenities that will make it a 'good place to live.' These include parks and open spaces, churches, schools, a community center and neighborhood shopping.

Very little open space was planned. Much of it adjoined the highway. Originally the Episcopal school land was to be open space and business/retail was planned for the current 1st Ward Park. Even if Levinon happens, I think a case could be made that residential on these land parcels misses the plan's goals. (See the attached pages from the master plan.)

1stwarddistrictplangraphic0nr.th.jpg 1stwardgoals0wk.th.jpg

The AACC looks to be zoned UR2, so it may not require a zoning request to build condos there. Not sure.

Any sense for the neighborhood's next steps?

On a side note, the county has added M Street (the street) to Polaris. Yay!

-graydog

I think the loss of open space is a highly valid argument. I'm not so sure the loss of retail will have any negative impact on the neighborhood.

I should add that the Furman plans do include about 9000sf of office and retail. That isn't much. I would argue, though, that it is decent considering the retail in the other nearby projects have not been absorbed by the market yet, even after years. From the retail perspective, I think we have plenty of neighborhood retail square footage, with the spaces on N Davidson, under Courtside, part of MStreet, and part of 7McD. That is especially considering the new major retailers announced for Midtown, Epicentre, and Elizabeth which are all very close.

From an open space perspective, I think that the 9th Street greenway and the playfield at Trinity is an okay amount of open space, especially when combined with the amount of open space planned for the Little Sugar Creek Greenway a few blocks away. Shame on the original planners, however, for considering interstate buffers as open space.

No matter what, I believe that the city recognizes the need for First Ward open space. That could result in an agreement with CMS to finally build a playground/playfield at 9th/Caldwell. That could also result in an agreement to partner with Levine on building his proposed park. Any number of possibilities remain for mitigating the open space concern. Who knows, they could even get creative and pay United House of Prayer and/or Little Rock AME to convert their parking lots to grass pavers. (Here is an example: http://www.invisiblestructures.com/GP2/grasspave.htm ).

Any additional open space, however, would be over and above the original neighborhood plan. The city's and Furman's plans are perfectly within the original plans for both parcels. The current zoning does allow townhouses at 7th and Alexander. They might have wanted higher density, but they selected townhouses in order to be true to the current rules.

AACC is moving to the Wachovia 1st St project, according the Observer this morning. Guess that means the city will pursue selling to Furman.

Good to hear about the retail space on Furman's project.

Still, I think the loss of greenspace to build the Episcopal school should mean the city makes it up somewhere else in the vicinity. Parkside seems like the perfect space and the old church there could be integrated into the park with retail and eating establishments. Besides, how could we call it Parkside if there's no park? ;)

Edited by graydog

Okay, that is an interesting twist. I guess when they were saying "Tryon site" at the meeting, I assumed they meant Spirit Square, as originally put forth in the paper. I'll bet some additional funding will be available to AACC by locating in the Wachovia project, as a few months ago, Wachovia Corp announced an increase in giving for black causes.

Although it would have been good to keep the civic space in First Ward, this move means that Furman will build significantly more housing units at 7th and McDowell.

I'm guessing that the controversy on the 7th and Alexander land will shelve that deal for a little while, unless they really need that money to fund construction.

Still, I think the loss of greenspace to build the Episcopal school should mean the city makes it up somewhere else in the vicinity. Parkside seems like the perfect space and the old church there could be integrated into the park with retail and eating establishments. Besides, how could we call it Parkside if there's no park? ;)

I agree. I almost spoke up at the meeting and suggest a renaming to "Townhouseside Terrace", but I thought I might have been assassinated given the tenor of the meeting.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that even when Trinity builds phase two, they will still have a soccer field on their grounds. I also believe that the wider open space in the 9th Street greenway between Alexander and Myers was built in part to mitigate the open space losses from Trinity.

At any rate, I still agree with you. More open space is needed.

As I wrote a minute ago, I am guessing that they will keep the open space at 7th and Alexander for a few more years unless they desparately need the money for AACC construction.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that even when Trinity builds phase two, they will still have a soccer field on their grounds.

I wasn't aware of phase 2. Do you where that would go? Are they taking the old houses on 8th/McDowell?

I hope you're right about leaving it alone. It's nice to have it so close to the community center with 1st Ward Park going away. Went by the land in question today and got a photo for those who are unaware.

parksidefrom7th213801cx.jpg

The AACC is behind the little white houses on the right. Alexander meets E 7th in the foreground and Parkside Terrace is in the background with the houses in front of it. In the foreground left is First Ward Place. The community center is behind me.

I agree. I almost spoke up at the meeting and suggest a renaming to "Townhouseside Terrace", but I thought I might have been assassinated given the tenor of the meeting.

Of course Parkisde next to condos would be consistent given that there's no garden in the Garden District. :silly:

Phase 2 of Trinity Episcopal School, I believe, is a chapel and other shared facilities that will go on part of their current soccer field. I think it will be long and skinny, extending from their courtyard down to Myers next to "The Tree".

The design, however, should leave a rectangular soccer field between the phase II building and the 8th Street houses.

I have absolutely no recollection where I saw it, but I once saw a siteplan or model or rendering or something with the second phase. Who knows, maybe Trinity will realize the need to keep open space and perhaps they will do something creative with their parking.

lol. that church (little rock AME) is definitely a generic suburban church from the 70s/80s... It is especially a shame because their original church was done by a renowned architect and is extremely attractive (now the AACC next door at 7th and Myers).

I have thought that furman should work out a deal with both the United House of Prayer and 9th/Davidson and with Little Rock AME at 7th/McDowell to purchase half their large lots. He could then build a parking deck and urban housing on his half, and include enough deck parking for the church to use... and with the proceeds, they could both build a larger urban-designed church that (hopefully) would be more attractive.

Everyone would benefit, i believe.

someone should talk to us ( Little Rock Church), maybe there are some possibilities regarding parking deck.

704 334 3782 ask for the pastor

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to Furman last week and I was asking him what was next for BlvdCentro. I didn't expect him to give me a straight answer but he did.

He told me to look for up to three projects for first ward. They would all be mid-rise buildings. Condo communities near the park.

After the conversation I wished I would have listened more carefully. I don't know first ward that well so I'm not sure I completely followed him. I am certain he said there would be up to three of them and they would be affordable.

I'm not sure if you guys already discussed this or not so forgive me if you have. Thought someone might be able to make heads or tales of it.

I spoke to Furman last week and I was asking him what was next for BlvdCentro. I didn't expect him to give me a straight answer but he did.

He told me to look for up to three projects for first ward. They would all be mid-rise buildings. Condo communities near the park.

After the conversation I wished I would have listened more carefully. I don't know first ward that well so I'm not sure I completely followed him. I am certain he said there would be up to three of them and they would be affordable.

I'm not sure if you guys already discussed this or not so forgive me if you have. Thought someone might be able to make heads or tales of it.

Based on that description, he might have been talking about the project at 7th and McDowell that replaces the current first ward park. Here is the siteplan and description of the project. AACC chose not locate there, so the condo option will go on that part of the site.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=238375

• 2 weeks later...

They are now starting to frame the fourth and final floor of Court6. They have not yet started on the Davidson Street side of the building, which will contain the retail space and the curved corner. It looks like they may be starting it soon, but so far nothing substantial.

I just wish they could keep going another 13 stories to hide the backside of Courtside.

post-670-1133746614_thumb.jpg

How different was it from the siteplan shown a few weeks ago? I missed the meeting last night, and now I'm kicking myself :).

The site was divided up into four portions. One large midrise building that was residential with a swimming pool on top of (?) a parking garage and having what I would think are skyline views. Three other components with varying retail and residential. Large parking lot in the center to allow for a drainage cooridor. Apparently, the price points of the majority of the condos (except for the penthouse units) will be in the $150K to $250K range, and some even lower than $150K.

Its hard to describe much more, one just has to see the rendering. I think it will be his best midrise work yet and I'm very excited about his statements about having a half dozen or so quality retail establishmetns such as coffee shops, etc., that supply services to the residents.