First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Is it much different that the first picture in this post?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=238375

From your description, it sounds like some stuff has changed a little bit.

There's some resemblance in the rough shapes of things due to the allowance for the culvert, but this was a 3D rendering that showed a lot more detail with greater separation between four different structures. A large parking lot was on the North side in between three of them having retail facing the parking lot and some green space beside the parking lot in between a fourth and the other buildings. Apparently, the drainage cuts through west to east through the parking lot with a dog leg at the end into the greenspace.

Not sure if this was posted, but Furman's project will be 275 units. The land behind the AACC will not be sold for at least 1 year, while a committee decides the best use for it.

On another note, 2 developers were bidding on the CHA owned land/parking lot wrapping the Children's Service Center. Apparantly the "winner" has been picked and their should be an announcement of a new residential development there sometimes next year.

Also, Furman is apparantly looking to do another high-rise in 1st Ward, though the site hasn't been named yet.

There are a total 500-600 units in the works for 1st Ward that will be announced in the next 6 months. (not including the Furman project in 1st Ward Park)

That is incredible news!

I didn't realize the site on the south side of 6th street was being sold, as that seems to be the staging area for the Courthouse project, and a number of other public projects. I'm really ecstatic that development will continue south towards the government district, as it is currently a forgotten little section of downtown. One random thought on it, is that I hope they build a street that follows the original alignment of Alexander St. It is really odd in its current alignment.

My imagination is running wild on where Furman will build a highrise in First Ward. Almost certainly, he will not build one northeast of Courtside (north of 6th or east of Caldwell). My guesses for the location possibilities are: the LaPointe Chevy site, the western porkchop, or possibly across 6th from Courtside on the Bell parking lot. I can't picture Levine selling to him, and he owns most of the rest of First Ward.

The current path of doing project contiguous to past projects is a good model. It has worked for First Ward over the last ten years.

Thank you for the updates, Atlrvr.

I was thinking the eastern porkchop....it makes sense, have Preferred Parking buy it and flip it to him and it wouldn't tip off any potential condo competitors plus he'll have a lot more cash on hand in about 1 month when Courtside starts closing. Courtside obviously was a success, so I'm sure he is bullish on that corner. If it is that block, the study commissioned by CCCP has the tower actually on the narrow part of the block along Brevard between and 5th and 6th, with the wider part containing the parking deck and wrapped with retail and offices......it was purely conceptual, but a financing scheme was presented with that scenario that made it viable.

Edited by atlrvr

That's taller than I would have imagined....but I'm certainly not one to complain. Also, I'm not sure if it was posted, but I was told there would be around 40,000 sq. ft. of retail which would be incredible. That could be an Ekerd or Walgreens, Florist, Dry Cleaner, a couple of restaurants, a Spa/Salon, and still have more space.

The city is selling Furman the 1st Ward Park piece this Monday.....they are not yet selling the piece behind the AACC.

Did they say anything about what would possibly happen with the other parcel of land (behind AACC) and is there a link for the rendering for those of us to had to do the Kids Christmas shopping thing last night and couldn't make it and now I hate it..... Thanks bunches neighbors

First Ward just got the preview of the development last night. It was pretty fantastic. Actually, it looks really fantastic.

Can anyone post a link or scanned copy of the project rendering from the 1st ward neighborhood meeting for those of us who were not able to make it? --- please. Thank you so much!!!!

I don't think anyone got any of those renderings, so we are stuck having to wait until it is released.

As to the back of Courtside, nothing will block it :(. Court 6 will strop at 4 stories, the Autumn Place isn't going anywhere, and the projects on the old First Ward Park are 6 or fewer stories.

That's taller than I would have imagined....but I'm certainly not one to complain. Also, I'm not sure if it was posted, but I was told there would be around 40,000 sq. ft. of retail which would be incredible. That could be an Ekerd or Walgreens, Florist, Dry Cleaner, a couple of restaurants, a Spa/Salon, and still have more space.

Is there any retail at all currently in 1st ward? (not including Reids)

Is there any retail at all currently in 1st ward? (not including Reids)

There is a small strip of neighborhood retail at 10th and N. Davidson. It includes a convenience store, "South Side Seafood" (Not sure what it is south of, or who exactly buys their seafood there). It also includes a tanning place, a barber shop, a beeper place, and if your in a bind, a bailbondsman.

Furman included a retail spot in his CityviewLofts on the north corner of 10th/Davidson, that was originally going to be a local coffee shop, but it has remained vacant for years. It was discussed earlier on this thread, and is likely vacant because of the lack of parking.

Dubone.....sleightofhand reported that going into Blvd Centros office that one of the 1st Ward Park buildings will be 13 stories....still, not enough to block courtside.

I thought E7 said all the buildings in 1WP renderings were 6 stories or less. Also, I took the reference of the 13 stories to mean the project that you thought might go to the eastern porkchop. (Sleight, any clarifications?).

13 stories on First Ward Park might go a long way to blocking the back of Courtside from Independence. It would be a few blocks east, so the perspective line might block up to the 15th or 16th floor of Courtside, which would be enough. That presumes, however, that the back of the 13 story building isn't just as bad.

I was at blvdcentro's office yesterday and they were telling me about the 1st ward project.

The tallest of the four buildings will be 13 stories.

TFWIW.

I assumed from this, he was referring to the 1st Ward Park project....at least I hope so. I don't thier even close to having renderings for the next true tower for 1st Ward. It would be tough to get 275 units on that site without going higher than 6 stories. Though to be honest, I care most about retail possibilities.