IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Awesome shot, although I think they are over-estimating the height in that picture. I think the Westin II will be a little shorter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, though from that vantage point the new tower is closer to the viewer than the old one, and will seem taller than it really is. I wouldn't be suprised if their relative heights look something like that from this angle.

On the other hand, I do think Westin II will actually be just a tiny bit to the right of where it appears in the rendering. You can see the low, domed part of the existing building, and from there I don't think the construction site extends far enough to the left to put the tower exactly where they show it.

Imagine what this view will look like with GTech and the Waterplace condos completed. It will be incredible! :D

Imagine what this view will look like with GTech and the Waterplace condos completed.  It will be incredible! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And add the suggested Intercontinental across Memorial from the Waterplace condos, and the neighborhood gets better yet...

I like the fact that in the photo, Westin II has the same lighting of the roof as Westin I. I think that lighting scheme is one of the most impressive parts of the Providence skyline right now.

- Garris

http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/...rg.1c8190e.html

Of course, some people think that if you're trying to build a skyscraper, you must be doing something bad about its heritage...

This is what really gets me:

The proposed Westin tower might provide its residents with elevated views, but it would isolate them from the urban life that attracted them to Providence in the first place. Parking in a dank basement garage and riding an elevator do not encourage social interaction and a sense of community.

Tall buildings create shadows, spawn wind turbulence, and increase air pollution.

Look, if you want to be where the sunshine is, feel free to move OUT of the city... sheesh. Newport is a pretty urban town that seems to fit your fancy.

...and what's this guy's bs about skyscrapers attributing to air pollution, and then saying that skyscrapers belong in suburbs? Ugh, I wish he, like David Brussat, had an email I could contact him with.

This guy's beef is mostly with the design of the Westin and 110, so I don't care, some people like it and some people don't, but in response to his other criticisms:

What is with everyone's beef with skyscrapers? I like the design of the new Westin, and if anything it will add more streetlife to an already vibrant street corner, not worsen it at all for pedestrians....

And Providence Place, although still a mall, is at least a distinctly urban mall. While I agree the food court would be nicer at street level, that goes against the rules of every mall (make it so people have to walk by stores to get to it...) I'd hate to see what the city would be like without it there, it adds so much activity with all its streetfront restaurants and shops...

I think it is accurate to say that the biggest thing holding Providence back is its residents (of course none of us on this forum though)

I guess he is entitled to his own opinion.. but if you showed me hartford and providence , or another city comparable and providence... and told me to choose which was visually more appealing, I would choose Providence. None of that being biased.

If you compare our mall to Natick or Emerald Sq or any other mall ( I can't say I've been to many), PP has a much more upscale and mature feeling to it. Emerald Sq and Warwick remind me of teenagers.. period.

Why doesn't the Projo have a more positive staff. That isn't a constructive critic.. he is just a critic. ifff that makes any sense

This guy's beef is mostly with the design of the Westin and 110, so I don't care, some people like it and some people don't, but in response to his other criticisms:

What is with everyone's beef with skyscrapers?  I like the design of the new Westin, and if anything it will add more streetlife to an already vibrant street corner, not worsen it at all for pedestrians....

And Providence Place, although still a mall, is at least a distinctly urban mall.  While I agree the food court would be nicer at street level, that goes against the rules of every mall (make it so people have to walk by stores to get to it...)  I'd hate to see what the city would be like without it there, it adds so much activity with all its streetfront restaurants and shops...

I think it is accurate to say that the biggest thing holding Providence back is its residents (of course none of us on this forum though)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must say that having lived in New England and now Florida I have observed exactly the same thing about Providence "critics"...they seem to have a sense of self (the city) depreciation....perhaps they need to be put on a plane to other cities in Providence's class (there are none in NE so Tampa, Richmond, etc) and see what it is like. Or move to a suburb.

It is the density that makes Providence a great urban city. And it can use more - wait until the full cycle is played out in the next 3 years!

Providence seems obsessed with trying to make skyscrapers quaint. The steel frame of the existing Westin is hidden inside a medieval-Dutch-market-hall-on-steroids costume.

If we want to ensure that we erect buildings that become landmarks, we must patronize exceptional design. Good architects do more than wrap decorative flourishes around an actuarial assessment of a location's potential monetary return. If Providence is so proud of its notable architects of the past, why are we so unwilling to hire the best architects of our own time?

we cannot forever rest on the laurels of good design of centuries gone by.

I agree with those statements -

I agree with those statements -

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree in general with those statements as well (at least regarding architecture, I disagree with his skyscraper comments in general).

I think he chose the wrong target, however. Westin 2 is part of a singular complex. Why would its designers go so far afield in designing a tower that's going to be nearly within touching distance of the preexisting tower? Especially when a big marketing aspect of the condos will be associating it with the Westin itself and the services it will offer?

If he wanted to choose 110 or Waterplace condos for not being bold enough, well, that's a different story.

As for the greatness of the Arcade being marginalized by 110? Well, just as prominant as the Arcade's architectural history is its equally notable history of never, virtually since day 1 of opening, having been an economic or retail success. From Providence's golden era to the present, this complex has never prospered. If 110 actually gives it a chance to contribute meaningfully to Providence's economic and merchantile cityscape for the first time since 1828, it'll be more important than just having its pretty columns to look at from the outside walking by...

- Garris

When I look at the rendering of 110, I see a chance being taken with the design. Although the street level part of this building will look like "golden era" Providence, i see modern design braking out of the shell of "laurels of good design of centuries gone by". "If Providence is so proud of its notable architects of the past, why are we so unwilling to hire the best architects of our own time?" This could be the start of some imprssive architectural leeps.... I dont think we need the best, i think we need the best for Providence... 110 could be away of acheving this...

"If Providence is so proud of its notable architects of the past, why are we so unwilling to hire the best architects of our own time?"

In the context of Providence being a "City of Designers", I think this is a legitimate question.

I wonder if we are not missing the opportunity to more fully leverage the power of great architecture (both historic and contemporary) to lift the city to new heights.

As a new resident, my half-baked impression is that Providence has been significantly more successful on the historic preservation front (perhaps largely as a unintended benefit of the slow decades of the last century) than it has on contemporary architecture front.

If we could interweave our incredible historic urban fabric with the best threads of contemporary design, I think it would be a powerful, rare combination that would further differentiate Providence as a great city. (For the latter, I thinking of contemporary architecture more like you see in a place like Rotterdam).

Yes, I know -- this is much more easily said than done.

Does anyone have an impression of the extent to which the powers that be (Mayor Cicilline, Director Deller, etc.) 1. appreciate the power of great architecture to lift a city? and 2. realize that great architecture is a natural fit with Providence's "brand"?

PVDJack

As a new resident, my half-baked impression is that Providence has been significantly more successful on the historic preservation front (perhaps largely as a unintended benefit of the slow decades of the last century) than it has on contemporary architecture front.

If we could interweave our incredible historic urban fabric with the best threads of contemporary design, I think it would be a powerful, rare combination that would further differentiate Providence as a great city. (For the latter, I thinking of contemporary architecture more like you see in a place like Rotterdam).

I think your impression is far from half-baked. It seems complete, it smells good and the oven timer is going off.

I have to add that the lack of architectural foresight isn't just a Providence problem. I think it's a common issue throughout the US. There's an inherent conservatism that shapes the landscape in the States. I'm not sure what drives it - clients, public, local government, etc. Maybe it's a nostalgia for the past. It probably comes down to money. Being a commerce-fueled society maybe it's just a matter of getting the most out of a space for your buck. It seems like the importance of aesthetics in architecture is kind of a lost notion in this era of building cheaply, easily and quickly and sticking with the status quo.

I think we hold on to our past because comparitively, we don't really have one. I heard someone describing a neighborhood in New Orleans last night as historic, then they went on to say that it was 50 years old. :huh:

We try to be European by holding onto our slim history for dear life, and creating false history (such as the Westin), when in fact, Europe has moved on and fully embraces modern design, as they have done for millenia.

I'm all for creative, forward-thinking, groundbreaking and exciting architecture but there is also the fact that some of the hottest trends that everyone loves now (glass and steel) will be passe in just a few years when a new trend comes along. Look at places like New Haven or Bridgeport as examples of the very "hot" architecture of the 80's and look how ugly we all consider it today. A lot of the stuff around Providence, the Courtyard at Union Station, 10 Weybosset, even the Westin (existing bldg)...these masonry buildings are classic and timeless - no trend can challenge them. As opposed to the GTECH building, which will be one of the ugliest attempts at modern design. Nothing more than a rectabgular building covered in glass...not very exciting. We could use a good Frank Gehry-designed structure around here and I love a crazy modern building next to an old classic b/c it makes for a visually exiting city but developers, city managers and permiting boards all need to be careful when moving forward with a "groundbreaking design that will change the landscape of Providence forever."

I'm all for creative, forward-thinking, groundbreaking and exciting architecture but there is also the fact that some of the hottest trends that everyone loves now (glass and steel) will be passe in just a few years when a new trend comes along. Look at places like New Haven or Bridgeport as examples of the very "hot" architecture of the 80's and look how ugly we all consider it today.

I don't necessarily equate creative, forward-thinking, groundbreaking and exciting architecture with glass and steel, or any trends for that matter. By the same token I don't think dressing a new building in fake ornament just for the sake of making it look like an old building is good practice either.

A lot of the stuff around Providence, the Courtyard at Union Station, 10 Weybosset, even the Westin (existing bldg)...these masonry buildings are classic and timeless - no trend can challenge them.
Good architecture should adhere to time-tested principles: proportion, scale, color, texture, etc ect. We don't live the same way that the people of Providence lived at the turn of the century. Spaces should grow and evolve with the societies that live in them. Materials and techniques change as well. These new buildings that parade as historic ones can't even come close to the craftsmanship of the gems of this city. You mention masonry - friezes, columns and arches used to be carved from stone. They didn't fake it by casting them in concrete molds. The architectural treasures of Providence are indeed timeless. How long will it take before these fakers start to show their age?

Anything that isn't true to it's current time period is just an architectural lie. Architecture doesn't have to be bland. It just needs to have integrity.

but developers, city managers and permiting boards all need to be careful when moving forward with a "groundbreaking design that will change the landscape of Providence forever."

I totally agree.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm more changes coming to the web site Saturday.

http://www.livingatthewestin.com/

Hi guys-

I have posted a partial of this post on the Building Heights and Power Block thread.

I was in Providence fo 3 days last week and was at the Westin 2 VIP viewing of the condos. Here is what I gathered:

The Westin is 25 floors and actually 300 feet

The Westin 2 will be 31 floors and 360 feet..that explains the rendering depicting a 60' difference

There is a 14 floor section also

This is very high end stuff(outstanding views of the city)...virtually everything required for living all enclosed in the Westin complex and Providence Place Mall

All in all, this will be a great addition to the skyline and the activity around Waterpalce and the Powerblock

Hi guys-

I have posted a partial of this post on the Building Heights and Power Block thread.

I was in Providence fo 3 days last week and was at the Westin 2 VIP viewing of the condos. Here is what I gathered:

The Westin is 25 floors and actually 300 feet

The Westin 2 will be 31 floors and 360 feet..that explains the rendering depicting a 60' difference

There is a 14 floor section also

This is very high end stuff(outstanding views of the city)...virtually everything required for living all enclosed in the Westin complex and Providence Place Mall

All in all, this will be a great addition to the skyline and the activity around Waterpalce and the Powerblock

Absolutely! I also noticed, BTW, that "Living at the Westin" now has a large (slightly too subtle) billboard ad on I-95 as you're going South(of course)... They're really marketing this one, huh?

- Garris

Archived