IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

A request for anyone who has more time (or interest) than I do:  tally up the number of parking spots in surface lots in the Downcity/Capital Center area (or just Downcity).  I'd be curious to see how many parking spots (I'd presume it's a pathetically small number) are holding back all sorts of development.  If we could see that on a map, that'd be great as well.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There seems to be this major misconception of an "issue" of parking in downtown providence. it is ill informed to say there is not enough parking options downtown. that is just not the case. there are MORE than enough parking options - the PROBLEM is no one wants to PAY for parking. go to the convention center or providence place if you want cheap parking. it's cheap bc taxpayers paid for the garages - they are/were state owned and thus - pay no taxes. for private owners/operators - they don't have that luxury and thus the rates are higher. parking does not inhibit anything from happening downtown. what they do have a problem with is there are no street parking and the city is changing that as we speak.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw heavy equiptment on the site today, along with the barriers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they've pulled down the decorative lighting from the 'park' and started removing the rest of the trees. Construction fencing was going up along the Memorial Blvd. side, and they are building a covered walkway from the hotel entrance.

Yes, they've pulled down the decorative lighting from the 'park' and started removing the rest of the trees. Construction fencing was going up along the Memorial Blvd. side, and they are building a covered walkway from the hotel entrance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is that wooden structure they've built in front of the land for Westin 2?

What is that wooden structure they've built in front of the land for Westin 2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In ProJo yesterday they had a pic of it and said it was for a pedestrian walkway, probably an underpass under scaffolding they'll put up I'd assume.

lets say you had a visitor for the weekend in providence.. and the two of you were going to stay in a hotel. Is the Westin the best choice?? I'm looking for the best of the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, I like Hotel Providence the best. The Westin, while nice, is a bit too sterile for my taste.

Well the Biltmore and Westin certainly have the best views, but I would still go with The Hotel Providence. The rooms on the upper floors have really interesting views, just above the rooftops of Downcity you look out across the State House, the Westin... If you can get a room at The Hotel Providence on the upper floors, you should enjoy the view.

And if you want to enjoy the Biltmore's views without paying for a room, you can take the elevator up to the top flor ballroom. :thumbsup:

lets say you had a visitor for the weekend in providence.. and the two of you were going to stay in a hotel. Is the Westin the best choice?? I'm looking for the best of the best.

btw.. it is a romantic visit!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Westin is the nicest. With the Hotel Providence - I have sadly heard nothing but complaints from people who have stayed there about the price, rooms and service - and the location will be nice in 5 - 10 years - not the case now. Especially for the price of a room there on the wknd - you could have a jr. suite at the westin. The Courtyard has some great rooms - especially the Jacuzzi Suites - VERY cool and the location is better than anywhere else in the city - especially on a waterfire night. Have fun!

hehe.. you guys make it really tough to choose!!

I guess what i should focus on is the hotel service and room quality/cleanliness.

and I completely forgot about having a view of waterfire.. which would be nice.

I'm looking into it tho... a very tough decision

lol.. btw, this guy asked if Providence had a Ritz.. and at first I had no idea what a ritz was

I guess what i should focus on is the hotel service and room quality/cleanliness.

lol.. btw, this guy asked if Providence had a Ritz.. and at first I had no idea what a ritz was

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only one I have stayed in is the Biltmore. We had a really beautiful suite. I found everything to be top notch, and I really like the old school feel of it. It has that classy, almost NYC kind of feel. I havent been in the rooms at the Westin, but the rest of it feels a little too new and sanitized to me. Sort of generic, like the hotels in Vegas.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do the westin. closest to a ritz you'll find in pvd. biltmore is an old lady - the dark hallways and small rooms aren't charming.

Mikey, not give relationship advice, but if you are looking to charm the pants off this person, then stay at a cheaper room and spend the extra $$$ to do something thoughtful...like a dozen roses waiting on the bed, wine, a massage at the spa, etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don't you stay at the Sportsman's Inn downtown :rofl::rofl::rofl:

http://users.ids.net/~sportman/home.html

Archived