IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fleming's will seat 160 patrons both inside and on an outdoor patio and will offer prime meats and chops, fresh grilled fish and and poultry.

I wonder where the patio would be. It would be nice to see streetside dining, but I wonder where that would fit.

I wonder where the patio would be. It would be nice to see streetside dining, but I wonder where that would fit.

Good question. My thinking exactly. I imagine somewhere along side Francis or Exchange St. side of the building. Pedestrian access shouldn't be an issue since they should already be on the other side of the street to cross Memorial Blvd to get to the mall.

I actually don't know anything about this chain... Another chain for a downtown development, BTW :-(...

This must give Providence one of the highest density of steakhouses for a downtown in the US. Think about it:

- Fleming's

- Capital Grille (across the street!)

- XO

- Providence Prime

Not to mention that mere blocks away that Capriccio and Mill's Tavern do great steaks as well... And wasn't Dan Shula's Steakhouse rumored for the Hilton?

Wow... As a steak fan (as a very rare luxury item) it's a true embarrassment of riches!

- Garris

Fleming's is owned by the same group that owns Outback, Carrabba's etc. I have never been, but have heard good things.

Providence does have a lot of steakhouses, but honestly I have not had a really good steak here. Not saying Fleming's will fit the bill, but having a lot of mediocre steakhouses does nothing either.

Boston has quite a dense steakhouse collection too, probably denser than Providence.

* Morton's

* Abe and Louie's

* Capital Grille

* Oak Room

* Palm

These are all within spitting distance with one another in the Back Bay/Copley area. Plus you have Smith and Wollensky, and Ruth's Chris a few blocks away. A Fleming's in Quincy Market too. Plus all the other restaurants in between where you can get a steak.

I guess New Englander's really love their steak.

Fleming's is owned by the same group that owns Outback, Carrabba's etc. I have never been, but have heard good things.

Providence does have a lot of steakhouses, but honestly I have not had a really good steak here. Not saying Fleming's will fit the bill, but having a lot of mediocre steakhouses does nothing either.

These are all within spitting distance with one another in the Back Bay/Copley area. Plus you have Smith and Wollensky, and Ruth's Chris a few blocks away. A Fleming's in Quincy Market too. Plus all the other restaurants in between where you can get a steak.

The steakhouse at Quincy Market is actually Houston's. Fleming's is in the Theatre District, it is part of the Park Plaza hotel.

I think people around here get hypercritical of everything local for no good reason though. Mediocre is a little harsh unless you are comparing to places like Kansas City or Chicago. My steak at Mill's Tavern was as good as anything I've had in New York or Philly, for instance. YMMV, of course.

As for the chain aspect, while I think local places are probably better for the economy in general, chains help attract conventioneers and convention organizers like to see names they recognize.

The steakhouse at Quincy Market is actually Houston's. Fleming's is in the Theatre District, it is part of the Park Plaza hotel.

I think people around here get hypercritical of everything local for no good reason though. Mediocre is a little harsh unless you are comparing to places like Kansas City or Chicago. My steak at Mill's Tavern was as good as anything I've had in New York or Philly, for instance. YMMV, of course.

As for the chain aspect, while I think local places are probably better for the economy in general, chains help attract conventioneers and convention organizers like to see names they recognize.

Actually I was thinking of the Plaza III, Kansas City Steak House in south market. Mixed up the two. I dont think of Houston's as a steakhouse at all though. Does not bill itself as one either.

The steak at Mill's was probably the best one I have had in Providence. However, for me it was not as good as ones I have had other places. I dont consider the word mediocre as harsh, for me it is accurate.

I agree with you on the chain thing. I'd love for an independent to go in, but the realities are that you should not expect an independent in a hotel. There are the rare hotel restaurants that are exceptional, but for the most part the upscale chains rule these locations.

I actually don't know anything about this chain... Another chain for a downtown development, BTW :-(...

This must give Providence one of the highest density of steakhouses for a downtown in the US. Think about it:

- Fleming's

- Capital Grille (across the street!)

- XO

- Providence Prime

Not to mention that mere blocks away that Capriccio and Mill's Tavern do great steaks as well... And wasn't Dan Shula's Steakhouse rumored for the Hilton?

Wow... As a steak fan (as a very rare luxury item) it's a true embarrassment of riches!

- Garris

you're not a heart doctor are you, garris?

:lol:

Ruth's Chris will be opening at GTech this fall.

Wow, great news! Ruth's Chris is the second best steak I've ever had (behind Peter Luger and a steakhouse in rural Minnesota).

you're not a heart doctor are you, garris?

:lol:

Nope, most definitely not! More fittingly, I'm a digestive and liver doctor :D .

- Garris

Ruth's Chris will be opening at GTech this fall.

When I was in Atlanta a couple weeks ago we went to a Ruth's Chris. Dinner was fantastic, and then as the waiter dropped off the check he put some mints down on the table which were covered in tiny ants that spilled out all over the table cloth. There was a guy who was obviously a high roller sort at the next table and our waiter only seemed interested in making sure that the high roller guy didnt see the bugs. We were wildly amused at the time but as we left I realized that we prolly should have been comped something or at least had the manager apologize. I generally dont expect bug infestations in a place like that. I wrote a couple emails to corporate, but never heard anything back at all, which was weird.

• 2 weeks later...

How cool! It lets you control the camera (in 5 min intervals)! Zoom and pan (I'd guess about 180 degrees). Very nice. :thumbsup:

It also provides a good view of GTECH (the top at least), Waterplace, the Masonic Temple, and the financial district. I wonder what building the camera is on.

Am I the only one to have trouble with this Westin site? When I get to the site I hear music and see some options but I am unable to scroll down the page to find the area re Webcam. HELP!!!

go to www.livingatthewestin.com, click on the site for the westin providence (the picture on the right), and then the link for the webcam is the one on the bottom of the list of links on that page. there shouldn't be any scrolling unless you use a low resolution.

the site can be buggy (it crashed firefox on me), but just so you know that webcam link opens a popup, so be sure you allow popups for that site.

Archived