IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

you can even move the camera to watch the work at waterplace. :D

Ok, this may be the coolest Providence development monitoring tool ever... Perhaps the UP-Providence's first project can be trying to find and arrange funding to keep this camera going after the Westin finishes. Not only can you mega-keep-track of the Westin, but, with the zoom, of virtually everything else downtown too, from the Dunk, to the Hilton, to the Masonic temple... Not the best resolutions, but enough to get the idea.

Check out these images... The new fake windows on the Hilton:

hiltonwindows4nm.jpg

The continuing Masonic temple work...

masonictemple1sf.jpg

Great, great tool!

- Garris

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, this may be the coolest Providence development monitoring tool ever... Perhaps the UP-Providence's first project can be trying to find and arrange funding to keep this camera going after the Westin finishes. Not only can you mega-keep-track of the Westin, but, with the zoom, of virtually everything else downtown too, from the Dunk, to the Hilton, to the Masonic temple... Not the best resolutions, but enough to get the idea.

Great, great tool!

- Garris

i was playing with it again today... the camera is actually a pretty high quality webcam. we played with one of those at work, it was on loan one summer. they're really cool.

Great, great tool!

- Garris

i was playing with it again today... the camera is actually a pretty high quality webcam. we played with one of those at work, it was on loan one summer. they're really cool.

argh! stupid internet was slow causing that to go through twice... :angry:

Check out these images... The new fake windows on the Hilton:

hiltonwindows4nm.jpg

The continuing Masonic temple work...

masonictemple1sf.jpg

Great, great tool!

- Garris

Garris:

It looks like you just too straight screenshots of the webcam since the watermark is there. If you press the camera button on the lower left-hand corner of the window you'll get an unobstructed picture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress still seems rather slow. I suppose parking garages are tedious to build. From the looks of it, there should only be maybe 2 more levels of parking garage space before the actual floors begin to rise.

parking garages usually aren't too slow to go up. they built one at uconn when i was a student there and it was complete in a week... 4 or 5 levels. of course it was a stand-alone garage, not part of a building, so it might be different.

Considering this project, I've been wondering if the skybridge will be altered in any way to service tower 2?

I'm hoping there will be a new way down to Francis Street on the Westin side. Seeing as the sidewalk is supposed to end at Route 10, I'd imagine there will be, dead end sidewalks don't work very well.

parking garages usually aren't too slow to go up. they built one at uconn when i was a student there and it was complete in a week... 4 or 5 levels. of course it was a stand-alone garage, not part of a building, so it might be different.

Usually ,parking garages use pre-cast forms trucked in from the factory where they were made - the parking garages at the Convention Center used pre-cast forms. This project is using forms poured on-site. This will go slower as the concrete on the lower levels must cure before pouring new concrete above it.

I was watching a History Channel program this week - "Engineering Disasters". One segment was a 22 -story apartment building being built in Fairfax, VA (called the "Skyline Plaza") Construction crews removed the wooden forms from lower levels prior to the concrete curing enough to provide strength, and the building pancaked as a result; it collapsed very similiar to the World Trade Center buildings. That 1973 event changed building codes and inspection regulations from OSHA requiring poured forms to be sufficently hard enough before additional floors can be poured on top.

• 3 weeks later...

The first floor forms are gone...

Also notice the top is flat, rather than slanted. Looks like the garage is done, and they'll be working on residential floors from here on out. They should be more or less uniform I'd imagine and the verticle progress should speed up a bit.

I just noticed this rendering today at the site. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's the first view I've seen of the building from the north:

I think it's going to really make the Francis Streetscape look so much more urban. I especially like how Francis Street slopes down into the Westin. Until now, The Westin Hotel has always sorta been obscured and hidden by the enormous mall, even from the other side of the street.

i like the looks of the second tower better than the original tower...

Same here. I never liked the original, and I probably won't think of the new one as one of the nicest buildings in the city. It will look pretty nice, though. I never liked how the Westin was this faux Renassaince style building with a cheap looking roof and be so pencil thin. It always looked cheesy to me. While the new Westin will be of the same general design, I like how it's bulkier and the exterior also looks better than the original Westin in the rendering. Most importantly, there will be more people on the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived