IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Seems to me the union threatened a strike the last time there contract was up too.

This article says the major stickin point regarding the new contract is "Job Security". Who the hell has that?? I know at my Job I can be canned anytime they want. (But then, I don't have a union to bully my bosses around either).

isn't that nice

• 2 weeks later...

They are driving piles at the Westin 2 right now. From what I understand, it will not be steel, rather concrete.

Demolition has started at the OneTen site, the more delicate demolition along Weybosset where the facade is being preserved has not started. I would imagine, that they might just be wrapping that up in January and be ready to get to work.

They are driving piles at the Westin 2 right now. From what I understand, it will not be steel, rather concrete.

Demolition has started at the OneTen site, the more delicate demolition along Weybosset where the facade is being preserved has not started. I would imagine, that they might just be wrapping that up in January and be ready to get to work.

For you construction guro's, which is better, concrete or steel? Which is more reliable/steardy? Cost effective?

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that EVERY PROJECT (including when the mall was being built) gets the requisite ProJo article explaining about the pile driving. It makes me laugh. But the good news is that it looks like the pile driving will be finished in mid December, and that by February we should start seeing floors being poured at a rate of 1 a week. Very Cool!!

For you construction guro's, which is better, concrete or steel? Which is more reliable/steardy? Cost effective?

The price of steel shot way up a few years ago, with China buying a ton of it for new construction. I think it's gone down a little bit, but it's definitely more expensive than concrete. However, the labor for building with steel is cheaper than for concrete.

This may sound elementary, but steel is a better option when the design calls for a lot of glass, where none of the walls are load-bearing. It has a lot more tensile strength than concrete, while concrete has more compressive strength.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing some progress on the building. Too bad I wont be able to afford anything inside when it's done, except for a broom closet maybe.

UP has made me a much more interesting guest at parties as well :-)

"How do you know about all this stuff?"

Liam

Usually I'm boring people when I mention all the projects downtown. But I'm amazed at how people have no idea on what's going on in their own city because they don't read the newspaper or watch the news on tv.

• 3 weeks later...

woohooo!

floor plans were added to the site =)

http://www.livingatthewestin.com

some corner rooms have 2 balconies!

Interesting. As I guess would be expected for young professionals and empty nesters, the floorplans seem to be light on bedrooms, but heavy on everything else, i.e. bathrooms, balconies, lots of space, etc. They look nice.

PVDJack

It's interesting to note when you go to the site and look at the image gallery, you'll notice that there are no pics of the State House from the "Views from the Residences..." section. I suspect that State House views from there are backdropped by the Central Landfill in Johnston. You can already see the landfill from Cogdon Park already. Hmmm....

Archived