IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

In fact, that is a really crappy solution, no matter how much I hate that onramp (or rather, I hate people's inability to grasp the concept of "yielding" and "merging").

Where will the final onramp from the south side to 195 be?

I believe it will be from Point Street and the Service Road, but won't be done til 2010. Ouch.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garris and all,

sorry to disappoint, but now that the point street overpass is open, the onramp from Friendship Street to 195 will very soon close, putting every single person from the south and west sides looking to go east on 195 on Point Street to Wickendon...not a good solution, methinks...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

If they're going to subject us to Point Street without a choice, can they please, please pave the Point St/Eddy intersection in front of Davol Square so it's not like the surface of the moon? That intersection has taken years off the lifespan of my car alone...

- Garris

I like Tokyo quite a bit. The sushi is prolly a bit better at RanZan, but Tokyo has a really complete menu with great entrees in addition to just sushi. I dig it.

Thanks, I heard you sit on the floor and stuff, so it has a cool feel to it?

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/projects/constr...195Update11.pdf

it looks like the purple color coded sections of the attached link is where access to/from Point Street and 195 will end up when complete. It appears as though those new ramps won't open until the end of 2009 acdording to the legend...

It doesn't seem to me that they have that much more to do to get the highway opened, 2 years seems far away.

What's the deal with the bracing underneath 195 crossing over Wickenden St?

I was there the other day, looks like the bridge has moved further into danger of collapse so they needed better bracing. I'm sure they won't be replacing it for the few more years it is going to be around so I imagine that may be a permanent condition until the bridge actually comes down in 2011-2012.

I was there the other day, looks like the bridge has moved further into danger of collapse so they needed better bracing. I'm sure they won't be replacing it for the few more years it is going to be around so I imagine that may be a permanent condition until the bridge actually comes down in 2011-2012.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I was hoping it meant the whole project was 5 years ahead of schedule! :rofl:

They have both tables and the sit on the floor kinda deal (cant remember the proper name for that). I'm fat with a bad back, so its tables for me.

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to go tonight...

ps. Cotuit, I guess to clean this up move the tokyo to the dining?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The moving of the bridge will be on the History Channel tomorrow night:

http://www.history.com/minisites/megamovers

thats cool, hopefully this episode is more exciting than most of them. Probably will be because it is something local. Thanks for letting us know.

edit: I knew the bridge was big, and it said it was, but when looking ast it next to the boats(police? coast guard?) it looks massive. mega_gallery3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This was an interesting episode on the History Channel awhile back.

Projo had an interesting column and Channel 10 (If I remember correctly) had a segment on this earlier tonight as well. The interesting part for me is that the project is the most expensive and technological project in RI highway history. Plus the support beams are hollow inside to allow better inspections during the annual bridge maintinence. Sorry for not being more specific on the terminology there.

Here is the Projo article.

Link

Archived