IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what the status is of burying the power lines that run across India Point Park?

There had been a lot of momentum behind this but after they installed those towers for the power lines about 2 years ago, I'm beginning to think this may not happen now.

Does anyone know what the status is of burying the power lines that run across India Point Park?

There had been a lot of momentum behind this but after they installed those towers for the power lines about 2 years ago, I'm beginning to think this may not happen now.

That plan was scrapped due to cost. To bury the lines while they are "hot" would have cost millions.

That plan was scrapped due to cost. To bury the lines while they are "hot" would have cost millions.

I thought they were going to bury them at some point. I found this press release from 2 years ago. :dontknow:

The second page of the press release said Narragansett Electric had given the Attorney General's office until January 15, 2005 to show that it had $12 million in place to get the project done. Evidently that didn't happen which explains why the towers were built about 2 years ago. At the time, I had read that the towers cost $3.5 million and were a "temporary" solution until money was available to bury the lines (I remember thinking that they should have applied that money toward burying the lines instead odf spending it on a "temporary" solution - cleverly spun though; I wonder who does Narragansett Electric's PR?).

In retrospect, I guess this was all just a good PR opportunity that probably didn't have much chance of coming to fruition. Really too bad . . .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally! :yahoo: From projo blog

India Point bridge work to close lanes on 195

PROVIDENCE -- Some lanes on Route 195 in Providence will be closed starting Sunday night for construction of the India Point Park Pedestrian Bridge, according to the state Department of Transportation.

Crews will be installing 24 concrete beams to carry the bridge over the highway.

On Sunday, Aug. 26, construction will begin between Gano Street and Exit 1 on the west side of the highway. One lane will be closed on each side of the highway starting at 8 p.m.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm usually a big fan of Google Maps over Live.Com, but I have to admit the Mighty Bill Gates has newer and better satellite images.

New Satellite Image of the "Iway" Bridge

livedotcom-195a.jpg

New Satellite Image of the rebuilding of Washington Bridge East

livedotcom-195b.jpg

Other new additions from the cams in the sky are The Weston II, WaterPlace Towers, Gtech HQ, etc etc etc

I just noticed that they've already installed overhead signs on the West bound side of the new bridge. Why would they do this now when it is 2-3 yrs from completion? With this side closed for the next few years it's an inviting target for grafitti artists.

Well, isn't the eastbound side opening up? That would keep the westbound activity down. Esp. since it's still a construction site.

May as well get both sides done at the same time.

Archived