IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

Here we go again with Trader Joe's. What is it with you people and TJ's? Don't you realize by now that they're not coming here. :wacko:

They would if they had their own exit, but not if they have to share one with the W and a rail hub.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again with Trader Joe's. What is it with you people and TJ's? Don't you realize by now that they're not coming here. :wacko:

Lighten up, Tex!- Just trying trying to sum up the apparent wishes of Urban Planet Providence (whether they're mine or not) in the Exit 2 sign of collective dreams.

That does seem like a legitimate concern. However, according to this DOT map, it appears that traffic using I-195E from I-95 South will not be allowed to use Exit 3 Gano Street. See the caption in the top left corner.

NErampopen.jpg

That's a really crappy solution. I assume they are putting the merge of the two traffic lines right on the Washington Bridge, because people are going to be violating that rule all the time if they can. Besides, what % of people using 195 are actually going to even know these rules?

Also, I think the covered sign is for Exit 3. Will there even be equivalents to Exits 1 & 2 when the IWay is complete? What about going west - will there still be a So. Main St. Exit? I guess I should look at the plans more closely.

Jim, I think it's going to be a hell of a lot worse. Think 95S @ 146S merge, only put the PPM exit much closer. Ever drive through there at rush hour?

yes, i have. i've been through much worse (91 south in new haven, getting on from downtown and having to move left 4 lanes in less than a mile to get the 95 north ramp... at rush hour).

yes, i have. i've been through much worse (91 south in new haven, getting on from downtown and having to move left 4 lanes in less than a mile to get the 95 north ramp... at rush hour).

Well, I've never been on 91, just 95 & 84 in CT. And of course the Merritt Parkway. Does 91 go through the heart of NH?

Well, I've never been on 91, just 95 & 84 in CT. And of course the Merritt Parkway. Does 91 go through the heart of NH?

if i were going to downtown new haven, i'd either take the rt. 34 exit off 95 or exit 3 off 91 (which puts you in the heart of yale, which is arguably the heart of new haven).

I assume they are putting the merge of the two traffic lines right on the Washington Bridge, because people are going to be violating that rule all the time if they can.

Hopefully, RIDOT will close off the exit to prevent traffic coming from I-95 South from using the Gano Street off-ramp.

Will there even be equivalents to Exits 1 & 2 when the IWay is complete?

There will be a new exit 20 constructed off of I-95 North which will bring traffic to the intersection of Point Street and Hoppin Street (this is the last intersection on Point Street before you reach the overpass which crosses I-95). Jewelry District traffic will drive east on Point Street. Downtown traffic will be directed on to a new one way service road. Attached is a link to the traffic changes that will take effect on October 28th.

Using the I-Way

Hopefully, RIDOT will close off the exit to prevent traffic coming from I-95 South from using the Gano Street off-ramp.

Using the I-Way

* Motorists on I-95 South taking I-195 East headed to Exit 3 (Gano St.) should plan to take Exit 2 (Wickenden St.), or Exit 4 (Warren Ave.) as motorists in these lanes will no longer be able to directly reach Exit 3.

* Motorists on I-95 North headed to I-195 East (for Exit 3 and beyond) will be able to take the new Exit 19, and travel the Iway ramps and the new Providence River Bridge.

* Motorists on I-95 North headed to I-195 East Exits 1 (Downtown) and 2 (Wickenden St.) should not take Exit 19. Instead, continue on I-95 North to Exit 20, to access the existing I-195 East and its Exit 1 (Downtown/Dyer St.) or 2 (Wickenden St.).

gallery_52_3_59724.jpg

I love these end towers... Whatever this project cost in the end, it was totally worth it just to have these end towers... They're like little modern Superman Buildings, and this photo perfectly captures the relationship.

- Garris

I love these end towers... Whatever this project cost in the end, it was totally worth it just to have these end towers... They're like little modern Superman Buildings, and this photo perfectly captures the relationship.

- Garris

they really do make the bridge... i didn't expect them at all and then arrived and saw them and was very impressed. i can't wait for it to be done to see it lit up in its entirety. i bet it'd be nice. i'm actually surprised the state paid for decorations like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove over it yesterday and didn't die.

Seemed a lot of people were confused and were going over the bridge only to turn around immediately at Gano St. to go back toward downtown. Either that or they were just doing it for the fun of it.

Also, there are jersey barriers almost all the way to the Washington Bridge to keep people from zipping over to Gano St. from the old 195.

Traffic tonight around the 95/195 intersection seemed particularly bad - did anyone else get the same sense?

Every Monday, I take the kids to the Pawtuxet Village area from 3:30 until 5. As I was driving south on 95, I noticed that the 195 exit from 95 South was hopelessly backed-up. On the way back, Allens Avenue at the Point Street/Eddy Street intersection was worse than usual - and my usual shortcut up Point Street and through the Pine Street area was completely backed-up.

I'm assuming this is a just a temporary hiccup as people get used to the new traffic configuration and the ending of Daylight Savings Time.

Traffic tonight around the 95/195 intersection seemed particularly bad - did anyone else get the same sense?

Every Monday, I take the kids to the Pawtuxet Village area from 3:30 until 5. As I was driving south on 95, I noticed that the 195 exit from 95 South was hopelessly backed-up. On the way back, Allens Avenue at the Point Street/Eddy Street intersection was worse than usual - and my usual shortcut up Point Street and through the Pine Street area was completely backed-up.

I'm assuming this is a just a temporary hiccup as people get used to the new traffic configuration and the ending of Daylight Savings Time.

I think the reason for this is that 195 is now down to only 2 lanes instead of the previous 3 before the bridge to prevent people from taking the Gano St exit which you can now only get to from the new exit 19 off of 95 North. The right lane is now blocked off by cement barriers. This also allows drivers who are coming off the new bridge to merge unto the old 195. This now means that if you are on the old 195 and want to take the Taunton Ave/Riverside exit you must now cross two lanes of traffic to get unto the right lane when going over the Washington bridge. :angry:

one of the articles said 8 lanes total (4/4)for the bridge once everything is open. Also... if the drivers here insist on pulling onto main road from side streets blocking traffic from one side, I doubt they would get the hang of a new bridge and directions on the first day =) give it time to improve traffic

I guess I got off easy yesterday compared to some:

State to discuss Iway successes, problems

"The morning commute went well, but drivers traveling south on Route 95 to Route 195 east last evening hit a huge traffic jam because of the lane modifications made for the new, $610-million project. Some drivers told the state police they were stuck in traffic for hours."

I guess I got off easy yesterday compared to some:

State to discuss Iway successes, problems

"The morning commute went well, but drivers traveling south on Route 95 to Route 195 east last evening hit a huge traffic jam because of the lane modifications made for the new, $610-million project. Some drivers told the state police they were stuck in traffic for hours."

While I can't imagine "hours," certainly last night was very bad on I-95 South towards 195... I eventually gave up and got off at Rhode Island Hospital and took the Point St bridge to the East Side...

I have no idea why it was so bad.

- Garris

PS: Love the view from the new bridge!

Archived