IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

I was granted access to a supercomputer cluster that allowed me to produce this stunning, detailed, full-color facsimile of the IWAY bridge in "Westin SkyBridge Yellow":

The yellow against the red brick of the hurricane barrier make it look like a hot dog stand. And would we really want 'golden arches' to mark the entrance to our fair city?

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The yellow against the red brick of the hurricane barrier make it look like a hot dog stand. And would we really want 'golden arches' to mark the entrance to our fair city?

Oh trust me, I much prefer the current color. At first I thought it looked like every other greenish bridge in America, but after you see it in good light you realize it's a very different/unique shade.

I think they should paint the part of the barrier that comes down. Think of the things it could say!

Keep out!

AVAST! (after all, it is Talk like a pirate day!)

Danger: Waterfire Ahead!

How about advertising on the hurricane doors? With that, can we make money on renaming the bridge?

We have the "Dunk", why not the "Star" as in Starbucks. "The Starbucks Memorial Bridge", always need memorial in the name. Espeacially in Rhode Island!!!

How about advertising on the hurricane doors? With that, can we make money on renaming the bridge?

We have the "Dunk", why not the "Star" as in Starbucks. "The Starbucks Memorial Bridge", always need memorial in the name. Espeacially in Rhode Island!!!

I like the "Home Depot Hurricane Barrier"

2006-0827-bridge027.jpg

This underpass is South Main Street I believe. I walked through the gate at South Water. Between S. Main and S. Water, the area under the bridge is open, I mentioned earlier this would be interesting to glass in and make a retail spot, I fear it is going to be parking though (which someone from Fox Point was super excited about at the Providence 2020 meetings :rolleyes: ).

There's a restaurant in NYC called Guastavino's which is built beneath the 59th Street Bridge; probably one of the more interesting and, at 25,000 sf, cavernous interior spaces that I've seen for a restaurant. Here's a link to their site which shows a few pics, which really don't do it justice:

www.guastavinos.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has already come up, but is there any plan to extend the current Waterfire further down towards the Hurrican Barrier once the present I-195 is removed??

I'd definitely like to see it extend to where the proposed waterfront park will be.

I'd definitely like to see it extend to where the proposed waterfront park will be.

One of the park proposals proposed electronic WateFire braziers on the pedestrian bridge. Neither the bridge nor the braziers are funded though. By electronic, I mean internally lit sculptures that mimic WaterFire, they were quite cool in the drawing.

195 was built before 95? :shok: I thought it was the other way around. What's the time line here? I know 195 was buit in the early 60's.

I believe sections began in the late 50's. 95 was first built all around Providence, and then finally in the actual city. If you look at old Mr Sid photos, you can see it running from Connecticut to Route 2 in Warwick and then ending, and also running through Pawtucket and then ending.

http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/I-95_RI/

Most of 95 from Connecticutt to Route 2 in Warwick was opened in 1958. Pawtucket came next, then Providence, and then finally a connection between Route 2 and Providence through Cranston and Warwick was opened in 1968. In 1969 the final portion was opened between exits 4 and 6 in South County, a part that was left out at first.

Route 1

In Rhode Island Routes 2 or 3 were the main routes to Route 1 in Connecticut. Route 1 led you thru the built up sections of coastal Rhode Island. 1A was also a choice, but it brought you thru built up sections. Routes 2 and 3 were 3/4 lane RURAL hgwy's in the 50's and were the choices to New London and westward.

Mark

Great find! In the "old days," pre-95, how did one get from, say, New London to Boston?

- Garris

One other point on this subject. The Connecticut Turnpike use to end in Foster at the State line. Route 6 to this turnpike became the major route westward, even to New London, until 1968/69 when I-95 was completed thru Rhjode Island.

Mark

I love how the end of the highway turns right into neighboorhood. I am really excited for when195 is going to be finished.

This is a great photo, probably from 1957/58. You can see how built up Providence was from the city into the South Side neighborhoods. Much of what you see is gone due to the intersection of 95 and 195. The hospital area also expanded both north and west destroying neighborhoods which fell to the turmoil of the 60's.

Mark

Archived