IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

I think the lighting just isn't done yet. I saw some lighting on it one night before xmas as I was walking over the Point Street Bridge. I tried to take a photo, but it didn't come out. The South Providence pillars were lit red and green, the Fox Point pillars were not lit and the super structure was not lit. I just assume it's not ready, I can't imagine it won't be lit, all the other bridges are (Newport, Mt. Hope), and the Sackonnett River Bridge plan calls for lighting too.

Sigh. I drive by every night hoping to get a glance. Thanks. :dunno:

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the lighting just isn't done yet. I saw some lighting on it one night before xmas as I was walking over the Point Street Bridge. I tried to take a photo, but it didn't come out. The South Providence pillars were lit red and green, the Fox Point pillars were not lit and the super structure was not lit. I just assume it's not ready, I can't imagine it won't be lit, all the other bridges are (Newport, Mt. Hope), and the Sackonnett River Bridge plan calls for lighting too.

Both sets of pillars will be lit internally: there is also the abililty to change the color of the bulbs. However, the City will be the entity that has to pay for the electricity so don't expect them to be on too often!

Both sets of pillars will be lit internally: there is also the abililty to change the color of the bulbs. However, the City will be the entity that has to pay for the electricity so don't expect them to be on too often!

I saw the pillars on at night when I was in PVD last month and they don't offer nearly enough light to truly display the bridge. More lighting of the actual structure is needed. I was quite disappointed by the night display of the bridge. Hope better lighting is to come...

• 2 months later...

ooohh, 19 acres of surface lots. Finally a project to alleviate the parking crisis at Superior and Family courts. We could throw in a tree or two. nah that would use up valuable parking space.

LOL

I hope they come up with some good Ideas and can get past the Fox Point Nimbys who will probably claim the Jewlery district as their neighborhood just as wbna claimed the old police station.

Its so odd how people (mentioned in this projo article) are envisioning towering office buildings once this 195 land opens up when Providence already has currently zero demand for office space and when two measley floors at the top of the Gtech building can't seem to be filled with tenants. I know its years down the road but I don't see these things changing that drastically. The state's economy/population is shrinking on a level with Michigan and I just don't see these office towers filled with high wage jobs materializing like these officials like to draw pictures of... Perhaps Brown will add some kind of research facility, but this is so far-flung..

What I do see is perhaps more condos/waterfront condos....and parks..and maybe a fish market or something creative like that..

Its so odd how people (mentioned in this projo article) are envisioning towering office buildings once this 195 land opens up when Providence already has currently zero demand for office space and when two measley floors at the top of the Gtech building can't seem to be filled with tenants. I know its years down the road but I don't see these things changing that drastically. The state's economy/population is shrinking on a level with Michigan and I just don't see these office towers filled with high wage jobs materializing like these officials like to draw pictures of... Perhaps Brown will add some kind of research facility, but this is so far-flung..

What I do see is perhaps more condos/waterfront condos....and parks..and maybe a fish market or something creative like that..

There's actually more demand for office space here than in lots of other places, believe it or not. It might not seem like it, but we have a pretty low vacancy rate. In any event, yeah, it's unrealistic thinking this sorta thing will happen overnight, but I think the idea is that downtown will be a lot cheaper/more attractive to develop when there's 40-something acres of empty land to do it with, rather than just the little vacant lots in the packed downtown we have now full of historic buildings that corporations would rather not move into.

Interesting article... The Projo seems to be doing their best to scare everyone with the idea of towers, but I find it optimistic (and realistic) that whatever happens here is seemingly being framed by all involved as a jobs creation tool.

Of course buildings do not jobs make, but it seems that everyone recognizes this development as a big opportunity to at least try to expand the business community (and thus the population and the tax base). Given RI's anemic economy, any effort to frame this in any other way would be really irresponsible.

- Garris

This area will become the next capital center with parcels for sale. and there will probably be some buildings here but it will take many years like it still is at CC to develop all the land. It has taken 28 years to get to where they are building Capital Cove and there still is land in Parcel 12 and the two parcels next to Citizens.

So I can see some office buildings on the RT 195 land but not right away. and it might be 30 years (2042) before it is completed.

It would help if the EDC stopped encouraging out of state companies to build and expand in the woods of Smithfield.

I think this land will go faster than capital center. I'm obviously all for the high wage jobs and opening of the waterfront.. BUT I'm also excited to see what JWU has planned for the area. Unlike trying to create a new high tech, bio, health sector... JWU building 500 dorms on a parcel with more classrooms will have an immediate impact on the area. I know they have a few dorm buildings around providence and east providence that they want to get rid of..

The more students downcity.. the better for the retail :)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why there is a free car wash going on for the last week as you pass south on 95 under the new Iway? Also does it seem as if this project is moving at a snail pace and should be done by now.

I'm no expert, but I think the water is due to them working with concrete.

Does anyone know why there is a free car wash going on for the last week as you pass south on 95 under the new Iway? Also does it seem as if this project is moving at a snail pace and should be done by now.

the completition date was never 04/23/08..........................

Archived