IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just crossed the bridge today... it was definitely different. i didnt know they were going to do that. i was driving and all of a sudden i noticed i was in the middle lanes. only thing that sucks is my exit, exit 5, has a new set of lights. it made it safer but now with exit 4 closed there is alot of traffic.

I crossed the bridge today too, what's up with the endless red light at the bottom of Exit 5?

Yeah, I just went threw that fiasco. As a matter of fact the traffic was backed up unto the highway. Not good. I'm sure they'll be an accident there soon. By the way, kudos to the RI DOT for a job well done. :thumbsup: The last two years haven't been all that bad. ;)

I'll be passing Exit 5 and using Wampanoag Trail as my way back to Riverside until they reopen Exit 4. No lights, and it takes me a few blocks from my house. :D As for the light on Exit 5, I"m sure that DOT will be adjusting the timing once they get a feel for the traffic flow on the exit.

Yeah, I just went threw that fiasco. As a matter of fact the traffic was backed up unto the highway. Not good. I'm sure they'll be an accident there soon. By the way, kudos to the RI DOT for a job well done. :thumbsup: The last two years haven't been all that bad. ;)

even tho i dont like the light, it does make it safer getting on to warren ave. before, people taking a left would have to creep closer to the corner to see if any1 was coming, making it easy to get clipped by some1 driving down warren. Im sure there will still be accidents, hopefully not, but there still are A-holes who try to pass on red. Oh and I have a question. Why are there wooden logs supporting the overpass? Is it because they will completely change the exit when the highway is done? It looks like that old game I used to play, JENGA. lol. And looks like it will fall just as easily. lol

Another Pic of the new bridge as seen from the Newport Ferry:

Picture028.jpg

I'm not so sure I like the color of the arch after looking at this pic. The view from the water shows the arch blending in with the sky and the water below. There's not enough contrast to differentiate the arch. Maybe at night when it is lit it will look better, but I'm a bit unimpressed with it as it stands now.

I love the color. I think some kooky color like yellow would be well, kooky. The green is industrial and utilitarian, but it is slightly different than interstate highway green enough to make it slightly special. I'd like to see detailing on the bridges over Route 95 (Atwells, Broadway...) be more kooky.

I love the color. I think some kooky color like yellow would be well, kooky. The green is industrial and utilitarian, but it is slightly different than interstate highway green enough to make it slightly special. I'd like to see detailing on the bridges over Route 95 (Atwells, Broadway...) be more kooky.

Pretty much all of downtown Pittsburgh's bridges are yellow and it seems to work well....

yellow.jpg

Generally there's very few trees, that photo was the exception.

I think the yellow works better on a bridge then the chosen color for IWAY

dipa206.jpg

Doesn't the IWAY color match the Pell (Newport) bridge?

I'm all for a little continuity within the state, to tell you the truth.

One thing to keep in mind for that picture, with no offense to matt, is that because of the brightness of the sky the whole thing looks a little overexposed to me, which is washing out the color of the bridge. Also, it's kind of important to realize that there are probably about 20 days a year where the sky is that blue and the sun is low enough that the water reflects in that way.

One thing to keep in mind for that picture, with no offense to matt, is that because of the brightness of the sky the whole thing looks a little overexposed to me, which is washing out the color of the bridge. Also, it's kind of important to realize that there are probably about 20 days a year where the sky is that blue and the sun is low enough that the water reflects in that way.

True, this was taken on Sunday at noon with a point-and-shoot camera. It was very sunny, but a unique view for those without water access.

Personally I find most of the bridges in Pittsburgh tacky. They look like a kid put them together with yellow legos. It might fit a city like Pittsburgh, especially with the proliferation of yellow in their sport team logos, stadiums, etc. I much prefer a more sedate, classy color like the one being used on the Iway.

Forgot to mention that some of those bridges in Pittsburgh look incredibly grungy. With a bright paint color like yellow, the upkeep needs to be constant or it looks horrible.

If the city get another bridge or two with an arch (like mall-westin bridge) whether they be vehicle or pedestrian, (probably another over memorial blvd or one over 95)

It might look kinda neat if they were all the same color whatever the color may be.

Yellow looks good on the mall bridge, but im not sure how its look in the Iway bridge....

Archived