Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I drink A LOT of HDR, and I can tell you it varies from batch-to-batch or from canning-run to canning-run.  You'll get a batch with super citrus tropical flavors, and then one with far less tropical and more blunt bitterness.  Hilariously, I had a can at Sabor a couple weeks ago (late July) and noticed how awesome the flavor was....I checked the bottom of the can and saw it was the Apr 25 run.....a run that my bro-in-law and I had both remarked at the time was exceptionally good.

However, I would hesitate to claim they've EVER changed anything.....unless they've actually admitted to it.

13 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

They have (see note 2):  http://www.charlottebeer.com/2014/07/14/five-myths-about-noda-brewings-hop-drop-n-roll/

2014 (when the article was written) is when is started getting inconsistent.  

One of us must be misunderstanding.  That article, and specifically point 2, doesn't say anything about them changing anything.

If you're talking about the centrifuge part, that doesn't allow them to use fewer hops per batch.  Rather, it allows them to spin the beer-soaked hops to get more beer out (like getting the water off your lettuce in a salad spinner).  So yes, they have switched to the bigger system and are now presumably using the centrifuge (to yield more beer from each batch)....but they haven't admitted to changing the recipe (i.e. lowering the amount of hops used).  ".... it will allow the brewery to salvage more beer.  It’s only natural that hops soak up some of the beer during the brewing process. But since Hop Drop ‘n Roll is such hop-heavy beer, a higher volume of beer is soaked up by the very hops that make it so great in the first place. Suzie told me that they recently lost 11-barrels of a 60-barrel batch to the hops. "

Or I'm wrong.  I don't think so, but I'm always willing to listen.

Edited by grodney

You are missing the point. They added the centrifuge in 2014 which is when it when it started being inconsitant (they also use it at the bigger brew house). They now get more beer from the same amount of hops. They are squeezing more usable beer via a machine from the same recipe. That IS the change. They didn't do that before.  Just like any recipe, if you don't follow the procedure exactly as it was originally written, it HAS changed even, if the ingredients are the same. 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

They are squeezing more usable beer via a machine from the same recipe.

Okay, well you specifically said "They don't use the same amount of Citra"....which would be changing the recipe.

But anyway, imagine beer that hasn't been dry-hopped....5 gallons.  You put in a crap-load of leafy hops and let it sit for a couple weeks.  Then you pour off all you can without getting any of the leafy hops.  You get about 4 gallons because 1 gallon of your precious beer is soaked up in the leafy hops.  You set that 4 gallons aside, and put the leafy hops in your centrifuge.  You get 0.95 more gallons of beer.  I'm saying that 0.95 gallons is exactly the same as the first 4 gallons.  You're saying they're different.

There's probably no need to debate it beyond that....I'm not a professional brewer and I've never used a centrifuge.  That's how I read it and understand it.  If I'm wrong and/or you read it differently, that's cool.  Cheers!

Edited by grodney

17 minutes ago, grodney said:

I'm saying that 0.95 gallons is exactly the same as the first 4 gallons.  You're saying they're different.

I am not a brewer either, so I am just spculating. I am a tea drinker, and I know that the tea that has sat steeping five minutes longer than my first cup is always bitter and earthy. I gotta assume its the same with hops, so if NoDa is getting 10% more per batch with the centerfuge I gotta assume that 10% is of the extra bitter/funky variety of beer.

if we could only track down someone who was involved with the April 25th batch....

• Like 1

And I have to agree with a four-pack of Coco Loco that I bought at a new, local Public.  The taste was just not the same.  It didn't have the same richness of what I have had in the past there or at a place that had it on tap.  Maybe that is the main difference - can versus tap.

Went to Thirsty Nomad last night and was very unimpressed with their beers. I sampled a few and didn't like any of them. The group I was with only bought 1 round and only bought it because we felt bad about walking in sampling and leaving. I like the decor and the feel of the taproom, which looks like they're adding additional rooms off of the main space, but that was it. Maybe they need to rework their recipes? I hope this place makes it, I never want to see a brewery go the way of 4 Friends. Has anyone else tried their beers? Is my taste just off? 

We finished our night at Legion which was the complete opposite of Thirsty Nomad. Everything we had there was great. Very similar to Legal Remedy in my opinion. 

Was actually at Thirsty Nomad yesterday afternoon for a few hours.  I guess I'm a little more "second chance" when it comes to new places like this.  No flights just yet, but working on it.  However, they did let us taste EVERY beer (and one that wasn't on the menu) for free.  I ended up with the Valkyrie and it was middle of the road in terms of other dark, porters in the area.  The strawberry hibiscus was interesting, but not at the top of my list.  I'm not an IPA person, so three or four of them were non-contenders.  I did like the Thai Breaker that had lemon grass and basil in it.  A good, crisp summer beer.  Like 11 HouseBZ said, I hope they make it.  The location is kind of odd, but at this point in the brewery game, if you are not in the prime areas, there can't be much other spots ready for the taking that are near enough to the others as friendly competition.  Thirsty Nomad is not far at all from OMB and such, and with either an expanded food menu (b/c they have wine on the menu - they have to serve food) or a good food truck, they should do OK.

On August 14, 2016 at 11:33 AM, JRNYP2C said:

Was actually at Thirsty Nomad yesterday afternoon for a few hours.  I guess I'm a little more "second chance" when it comes to new places like this.  No flights just yet, but working on it.  However, they did let us taste EVERY beer (and one that wasn't on the menu) for free.  I ended up with the Valkyrie and it was middle of the road in terms of other dark, porters in the area.  The strawberry hibiscus was interesting, but not at the top of my list.  I'm not an IPA person, so three or four of them were non-contenders.  I did like the Thai Breaker that had lemon grass and basil in it.  A good, crisp summer beer.  Like 11 HouseBZ said, I hope they make it.  The location is kind of odd, but at this point in the brewery game, if you are not in the prime areas, there can't be much other spots ready for the taking that are near enough to the others as friendly competition.  Thirsty Nomad is not far at all from OMB and such, and with either an expanded food menu (b/c they have wine on the menu - they have to serve food) or a good food truck, they should do OK.

Pretty sure they don't have a kitchen.  Are you sure about the food requirement?  Interesting.

We need Jonathan or Daniel to do a story on the exact food and ABC laws. Thirsty Nomad does indeed have food.....including "authentic Hot Pocket" for $10. That makes it pretty obvious it's just an end-around some stupid ABC law.  Sycamore has panini I guess, though you'd be hard pressed (ha ha ha ha ha, I crack myself up) to find any sign of them in the brewery. Maybe wine is indeed the differentiating factor.....but I'd also like to know the exact rules on private clubs and dollar memberships and all that stupidity.

8 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

Pretty sure they don't have a kitchen.  Are you sure about the food requirement?  Interesting.

I'll echo what grodney mentioned about the food.  We ordered the hummus and chips and were handed a pre-packaged box (probably from Sam's or Costco) for $2.  The one guy behind the bar (I think the owner) mentioned the ABC laws and "wine/liquor" and the need for food to satisfy the state.  He mentioned Hot Pockets - and lo and behold, they really were on the menu.  I honestly doubt I would shell out $10 for them.  I wouldn't pay $3 for them at the Teeter!  I don't know if they would be able to lure a food truck back into that office park.  It is somewhat out of the way and they would REALLY be reliant on just who is going to the brewery.  On the weekends, I'm sure that whole area is a ghost town.

4 hours ago, grodney said:

We need Jonathan or Daniel to do a story on the exact food and ABC laws. Thirsty Nomad does indeed have food.....including "authentic Hot Pocket" for $10. That makes it pretty obvious it's just an end-around some stupid ABC law.  Sycamore has panini I guess, though you'd be hard pressed (ha ha ha ha ha, I crack myself up) to find any sign of them in the brewery. Maybe wine is indeed the differentiating factor.....but I'd also like to know the exact rules on private clubs and dollar memberships and all that stupidity.

If there is some food and beer relationship it would have to be a local law and not an ABC or state-wide one, other World of Beer locations, for example, have full menus.  From a business standpoint though, not sure I would bother with a kitchen either in Charlotte, the food truck and restaurant scene, depending on location, makes it not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Story on why NoDa beers won't be on tap BofA for Panther games: http://www.charlottefive.com/carolina-panthers-beer-selection/  TLDR the vendor wanted NoDa to lower pricing and NoDa said no.  But interestingly, " The brewery’s president, Suzie Ford, says it would be unfair for them to offer lower pricing to the stadium than to other bars and restaurants. She did acknowledge that their costs go up by around 3 percent each year as the cost of ingredients rise, which amounted to an increase of $2 per case of beer. Since the brewery won’t lower the pricing, the cost per cans in the stadium has increased to $10.75. ".   So wait a minute.  10.75?!?!!  A can!!?!?!  Suzie implies that pricing is the same for everybody which is a little strange considering volumes, but let's say pricing is the same for BB&T/Knights.  So the Knights can sell for $8/can and the Panthers want $10.75?  CRAZY.  Glad I'll be on my couch drinking the exact same thing for $10.99/4-pack.

In other news, I was at NoDa Tuesday and they had 23, yes twenty-three, beers on tap.

In other news, I noticed my Gordgeous cans had a wrap (not printed) label.  On closer inspection, I noticed they were double-wrapped.  Curious, I unwrapped them and found a Coco Loco printed can.  The first wrap didn't cover it, so a second wrap was necessary.  I asked NoDa about it via the twitts, and they said the Coco Loco cans had an error, so they used them for Gordgeous instead of blank cans.

8 minutes ago, grodney said:

Story on why NoDa beers won't be on tap BofA for Panther games: http://www.charlottefive.com/carolina-panthers-beer-selection/  TLDR the vendor wanted NoDa to lower pricing and NoDa said no.  But interestingly, " The brewery’s president, Suzie Ford, says it would be unfair for them to offer lower pricing to the stadium than to other bars and restaurants. She did acknowledge that their costs go up by around 3 percent each year as the cost of ingredients rise, which amounted to an increase of $2 per case of beer. Since the brewery won’t lower the pricing, the cost per cans in the stadium has increased to $10.75. ".   So wait a minute.  10.75?!?!!  A can!!?!?!  Suzie implies that pricing is the same for everybody which is a little strange considering volumes, but let's say pricing is the same for BB&T/Knights.  So the Knights can sell for $8/can and the Panthers want $10.75?  CRAZY.  Glad I'll be on my couch drinking the exact same thing for $10.99/4-pack.

In other news, I was at NoDa Tuesday and they had 23, yes twenty-three, beers on tap.

In other news, I noticed my Gordgeous cans had a wrap (not printed) label.  On closer inspection, I noticed they were double-wrapped.  Curious, I unwrapped them and found a Coco Loco printed can.  The first wrap didn't cover it, so a second wrap was necessary.  I asked NoDa about it via the twitts, and they said the Coco Loco cans had an error, so they used them for Gordgeous instead of blank cans.

I have a hard time understanding how HDnR cans dropped to $10.99 for a 4 pack but yet they justify charging $10.75 for ONE can of it at a Panthers game. I know they are all in this business to make $, blah blah. But this is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

I honestly don't feel too bad then. I thought they were being pushed out by InBev.  If they won't lower the price for a vendor that is probably their one biggest drop ship of the year, then I can't shed too many tears. If they want their beer in the stadium, then you have to play by the stadium rules. Other breweries are in there selling draft beers.  Based on Noda's lack of social media on the subject, I don't think there is too many sour grapes between the two. 

My guess: they will be close enough to the cap that they didn't "really" want to be in the stadium any more than before (of course they would never saw that). If they did, they would have offered up a volume discount. Once they bump up production (hopefully) and need the sales volume, I bet they re-appear in a bigger way (and hopefully on draft).  

As for price? Eh. It's $10 after tax for a can in the airport. But I can see why the stadium wanted to keep the prices at $10 and asked Noda to pass along the saving. I am sure they have standard markup on everything and "wouldn't be fair to give Noda a less-than-standard markup".  

13 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Birdsong's Wake Up Porter will be available in cans starting next Thursday! I actually enjoy this porter, so looking forward to picking up some 4 packs. 

Yeah, I'm excited for this one.  I foresee a blind tasting of Wake Up vs Coco Loco vs Up All Night in my future.  I'm still seeing some Fake Plastic Trees around, and that's hard to pass up, but I gotta move on from summer beer at some point.  Or do I? Hahaha.

Oh, speaking of which, I was going by 201 Central in Weddington the other day so I called to see if they had Gordgeous.  They said no.  I said "haven't got it yet, huh?", and the guy said "we're not getting it until we're out of NoDaJito".  Uhhhhhh, interesting decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverSummer said:

Is this public information?  How are you able to see the plans?

Pretty sweet plan I agree. Patios ringing the back and one of the sides. Direct access to the Rail Trial.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 10.58.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 10.57.53 AM.png