Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

This is not a slam on Memphis...

I am shocked and saddened by the tragic shooting of the leader of the Memphis’ Chamber of Commerce. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/09/27/south-front-shooting-downtown-memphis/1451364002/

The president and CEO of the Greater Memphis Chamber of Commerce was killed Thursday night in a shooting on South Front Street in Downtown Memphis.

The death of Philip H. Trenary, 64, was confirmed by the Chamber and Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland.

Sometime before 8 p.m., Memphis police responded to the shooting at 579 South Front St. 

Police described a suspect as a black male with dreadlocks, wearing a blue shirt and driving a white four-door Ford F150.

At the time of the shooting, the Chamber was hosting its annual 4-mile race, Move it Memphis, at nearby Loflin Yard. 

Memphis business and civic leaders reacted with disbelief to the news of Trenary's death.

“Phil was not only a business giant, but he was really part of the heart and soul of the business community. He did everything he could to make sure we had a vibrant community,” said Carolyn Hardy, past chairwoman of the Memphis Chamber and CEO of Chism Hardy Investments. “The loss to this community is huge. It will be felt in every section, whether philanthropic, educational or business. He was a true visionary and he really believed in who we could become.”

Michael Ugwueke, CEO of Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, called Trenary a leader in the community and said his loss will reverberate throughout the region.

“This is completely senseless,”  Ugwueke said. “He believed in Memphis. I can’t believe this has happened.  I don’t think we can recover easily from this tragedy.”

I really hate this for the city of Memphis. I got married there, have worked there off and on for the last decade and still have tons of family there. They have some really deep rooted problems that I don’t think many cities in this country could ever understand. Really hope they can pull through this and continue their resurgence. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, titanhog said:

But they really don't have a great place to ride.  The roadway...vs. autos...is not exactly the perfect place to ride those things.

Yesterday evening, two scooters passed me on the sidewalk in The Gulch - the guy in the lead going too fast and the girl lagging behind saying, "We should be in the street."  Next time a scooter passes me on the sidewalk, I'm going to say "Please move to the street."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr_Bond said:

"Please move to the street."

Ha, I have said that several times....the general response has been "F-ck you" or a derivative thereof. 

Hell, you just thinks it is funny because you all want to tell me the same occasionally at the monthly meet-ups! ha

Edited by Guest

Ha, this was just posted by a friend on FB

"Nashville, you're killing me. Walking out of my building, I see a young couple struggling to scan their phone to a pay scooter on the sidewalk. "How goes it?" I say. "It's not [effing] working!" the woman exclaims. The guy shakes his head. She repeats, "This thing is [effed] up!" I say "Good luck," and walk toward Hattie B's. On the way back, I see the woman zipping down the sidewalk toward a busy intersection, with the guy running after. "Woo! These go FAST!" she says. The guy is still shaking his head. "You got it working, eh?" I say. "Yep," he replies, "now I'm just waiting for her to crash it." [Into a pedal tavern, probably...] #MusicCityMadness #BootScooterBoogie"

42677115_10216056040766339_1813401485191413760_o.jpg

We are headed for Scooter Apocalypse. Just saw some joker older than me riding one and almost got squashed in a parking lot. Trust me. I will bet Metro will get fed  up and ban them all again and never to return. 

You can have all the rules you want, but people are too stupid or arrogant to obey them. We will have our first scooter death in the not too distant future.

• Like 3