Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article59879271.html#storylink=latest_side

Jayvee's rebrand as Queen Park is one step closer.  I'm also really excited for the Harvest Food redevelopment.  The ownership group Meck City Social sounds like it will be a Piedmont Social House concept.  That along with two distilleries, 2 breweries and a cidery in such a condensed area is really exciting.

Someone mentioned this lot next to OMB as a new brewery building with a rooftop patio.  I wonder if that will still happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article59879271.html#storylink=latest_side

Jayvee's rebrand as Queen Park is one step closer.  I'm also really excited for the Harvest Food redevelopment.  The ownership group Meck City Social sounds like it will be a Piedmont Social House concept.  That along with two distilleries, 2 breweries and a cidery in such a condensed area is really exciting.

Someone mentioned this lot next to OMB as a new brewery building with a rooftop patio.  I wonder if that will still happen.

I'll have more info on the "Social" place soon. They have the sign and it's going to be an AMAZING place. Think more Pinewood Social in Nashville and less Piedmont

Or we could just keep calling it Scaleybark?  Why try and change names for areas that already exist?  And trying to add Park to everything, to me, is starting to sound like SoDaSoPa or LoSo.   Montford is Montford, not Mad Park.  When I talk to most people, they say OMB, etc is in the scaleybark area.   

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Or we could just keep calling it Scaleybark?  Why try and change names for areas that already exist?  And trying to add Park to everything, to me, is starting to sound like SoDaSoPa or LoSo.   Montford is Montford, not Mad Park.  When I talk to most people, they say OMB, etc is in the scaleybark area.   

I agree 100%. Why make the city another city with these, often stupid, renames. Leave Montfort area Montfort. Madison Park was Sedgefield before I believe. Madison Park sounds classy. Mad Park sound like a freak area.

I've decided I'm indifferent about Queen Park vs LoSo. I think it's awesome that they are rebuilding the sign, but given that it won't be as prominent or in its original location I feel like it might lack a little authenticity (eg: other cities would have just built around it rather than tear it down). Scaleybark will probably be the more natural name for the area near the station. With the relocation of the sign, I could see Queen Park catching on for the area near OMB. It's far enough away from the station that it could be its own distinct neighborhood anyway.

Historically speaking, the more interesting thing (to me) about the area is that Yancey St used to be the northern end of York Road (where it intersects Old Pineville Road). York Rd was gradually renamed to South Tryon Street after the city extended Tryon St from Camden Rd to the south, and as the city annexed further out. Since Tryon St became the primary roadway, it seems "Yancey" was chosen as the name for the remnant section. Incidentally, the neighborhood just to the north and west (on the other side of Tryon St) called "York Road" was never actually located on York Rd since it was built about after Tryon St was extended from uptown in the 1940s. Anyway, since the piece of history related to York Road is more interesting to me, so if we're going to give the area an arbitrary neighborhood name, I'm going with Old York (or Olde York) or something with York in it.

On 2/17/2016 at 11:10 AM, caterpillar2 said:

I agree 100%. Why make the city another city with these, often stupid, renames. Leave Montfort area Montfort. Madison Park was Sedgefield before I believe. Madison Park sounds classy. Mad Park sound like a freak area.

Sedgefield and Madison Park have always been separate. They are two completely different areas.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

On their original site plan on their website the water feature was a rain garden now it looks like a lake. their first buildings are supposed be delivered first quarter 2017 for those first retail buildings. 

2/1/2017 is the date set for the shell to be completed for these

• Like 2

I like the plan, I love the plan, but small gripe though. Why can't we ever get a straight street in this city? There's one in that entire plan. There's hardly even one in any site plans anywhere in this city. It's petty, I know, but jeez... why does every street have to be artistically curvy? Does Charlotte not believe in blocks?(This plan does have blocks and are straightish, generally though plans don't outside of center city) I realize that not all the time it's possible because of terrain and topography. I just figured it would be easier or maybe you get more bang for your buck to do so. Some are trying to fit plans to existing street network but others don't even try. I'm sure I might be alone on this and it's kinda dumb, but I've wondered about it for a long time. Is it to slow down traffic?

*Steps off soap box. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

I like the plan, I love the plan, but small gripe though. Why can't we ever get a straight street in this city? There's one in that entire plan. There's hardly even one in any site plans anywhere in this city. It's petty, I know, but jeez... why does every street have to be artistically curvy? Does Charlotte not believe in blocks?(This plan does have blocks and are straightish, generally though plans don't outside of center city) I realize that not all the time it's possible because of terrain and topography. I just figured it would be easier or maybe you get more bang for your buck to do so. Some are trying to fit plans to existing street network but others don't even try. I'm sure I might be alone on this and it's kinda dumb, but I've wondered about it for a long time. Is it to slow down traffic?

*Steps off soap box. 

I agree with you regarding the streets. I almost wish that the city would create a street map plan for how future city blocks and streets will be laid out, and force developers to follow the plan and create the streets and blocks as land develops. Allowing developers to plan their own street networks and city blocks is counter intuitive and creates issues with pedestrians and traffic.

• Like 1

Connected streets do matter the most, but straight streets have value, too. It gives a pedestrian an easier sense of where they are and where they can go (looking down a long straight street when lost has been my savior in many a city).

I, too, get so bothered by the lack of straight streets in this so called "new era" of development. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot