Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Only thing for me was they said they wanted to paint the intersections to draw more awareness to "Pedestrian Crossings".  Because of this, I thought they would be painting crosswalks, not just a circle in the middle. I don't know how much of this highlights pedestrian activity, but they don't look bad, IMO. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bqknight said:

You all sound SO miserable. I noticed them right away and they look good. Not everything needs to be a masterpiece. These, along with many of the murals (other than the Visit Orlando one) look good and are a welcome, albeit small, addition to downtown. 

I'm just offering my opinion on the style of the "artwork". 

It looks like something off the cover of an 80's tourism/Chamber of Commerce brochure. 

They should have included an image of a discount attraction admission coupon. 

I've actually seen that same style of "art" on a mural in some TV commercial that was not filmed in Orlando. 

So I'm guessing maybe it's some kind of new Gen X/Y/Z fad. 

Which, given its lack of originality and imagination, like their music and entertainment, makes it right at home.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Only thing for me was they said they wanted to paint the intersections to draw more awareness to "Pedestrian Crossings".  Because of this, I thought they would be painting crosswalks, not just a circle in the middle. I don't know how much of this highlights pedestrian activity, but they don't look bad, IMO. 

Daytona had rebricked the crosswalks in like light blue (tacky) with an emblem in the middle at like US 92 & A1A ("A-1-A, Beachfront Avenue!")

I think it would look nice here with regular brick.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

It looks like something off the cover of an 80's tourism/Chamber of Commerce brochure. 

I've actually seen that same style of "art" on a mural in some TV commercial that was not filmed in Orlando. 

Which, given its lack of originality and imagination, like their music and entertainment, makes it right at home.  

that's so funny it puts John Ritter to shame...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 10:16 AM, JFW657 said:

Been following the talented artist SKIP for a couple of years now, who also has a few murals throughout the city as well. So Orlando could've either commissioned what you are rippling to shreds or gotten one of his paintings critiquing capitalism lmao.  To give the benefit of the doubt, at least the city is bothering with doing the bare minimum of discovering, having, and implementing an aesthetical identity and sense of place, something that they should've done ~20 years ago. 

https://seeskip.square.site/

https://www.instagram.com/seeskipfranchise/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRENCH said:

Been following the talented artist SKIP for a couple of years now, who also has a few murals throughout the city as well. So Orlando could've either commissioned what you are rippling to shreds or gotten one of his paintings critiquing capitalism lmao.  To give the benefit of the doubt, at least the city is bothering with doing the bare minimum of discovering, having, and implementing an aesthetical identity and sense of place, something that they should've done ~20 years ago. 

https://seeskip.square.site/

https://www.instagram.com/seeskipfranchise/

I've been here for like 25 or so years.  They had those lizard sculptures around town back then.  They had that artwork sculpture set at the Mus. of Art up 17-92 even before then (those might be as old as the French Fries at UF).  And they put art in a ton of spots back when The Plaza opened up in 2007/08.  They've been at this for a minute...

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, jrs2 said:

Here's something...

So that's what downtown has been missing all this time -- rollercoasters. I also love how the AI made I-4 even more convoluted than it already is. I didn't think that was possible. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't know what looks more convoluted in the video preview... the roller coaster in the background or the expressway.

Screenshot-20240416-092701-2.jpg

I feel like this guy got AI to create a mock Orlando skyline based on the look of its buildings downtown and elsewhere.  

48 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

That was conceptually planned for across street from Aloft.    FAA flight path for Herndon said nope.

you mean across from The OC Cthse, right? the Pizzuti cube tower?

21 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

Ya.  That's right.   Find the thread decades back or on SSC.

back then (then, LOL), I wanted it built so that they'd break the height cap cycle.  I never realized then, in like '98, that I would be alive in 2024 and Suntrust would not only still be the tallest building, but that only one building would be built that was next tallest in height (Vue) as opposed to like a dozen or so buildings capping off at 450'. 

Orlando is literally way smaller and small-time ala big business spurning the need for large office towers than we realize.  It is also way more small time ala the residential tower front.  To be fair, Orlando is relatively new to that game,  Daytona has had 20+ story condos dotting its skyline since the early 1970's.  Orlando has had maybe one (along Colonial) and one or two similarly sized along Central.  This is not Orlando's forte.  

Look at Miami and Chicago- just on the residential tower front.  Miami's rich history of condo tower inventory cured like fine wine and resulted in the Boom of the early 2000's which is still ongoing.  Orlando is struggling on that front.  Chicago had residential skyscrapers along Lake Michigan since even before Miami, from waaay back, and that yielded not only updated project along The Gold Coast, but, throughout downtown and South Loop.

Perception is everything with real estate. I was very disappointed that only half of The Boom proposals for DTO ever materialized.  That being said, developers have reclaimed several surface lots and converted them into buildings of varying bulk and height (as we have seen).  It's better than nothing, and I believe those projects will go far in reinforcing the notion of "neighborhood" which in and of itself is a driving force for future development (man, that sounded smart...to me, LOL).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1