The Bad News Report

tozmervo

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

3Q Airline results out. 

AA had a net loss of $545 Million (Record high revenue. Excluding net special items, AA would’ve had a $263 Million net profit. A big hit to profit was $983 Million in connection with their new pilot labor contract).

United Net Income: $1.1 Billion

Delta net income: $1.11 Billion

Not sure if push ever came to shove Charlotte would get any cuts but not sure who would. Chicago? That’d be a boon to United. JFK? Great for Delta & JetBlue. CLT, DFW, DCA seem super insulated & safe, Philly & MIA seem pretty safe too. 

https://onemileatatime.com/news/american-airlines-reports-loss/

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 3

The state (and our federal reps) has dropped the ball once again, the Whitehouse announced the 31 new tech hubs that will receive fundings from the CHIPS act. NC did not make the list. [its still pretty early in the morning, did I miss it in the list?]

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/10/23/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-announces-31-regional-tech-hubs-to-spur-american-innovation-strengthen-manufacturing-and-create-good-paying-jobs-in-every-region-of-the-country/

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

The state (and our federal reps) has dropped the ball once again, the Whitehouse announced the 31 new tech hubs that will receive fundings from the CHIPS act. NC did not make the list. [its still pretty early in the morning, did I miss it in the list?]

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/10/23/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-announces-31-regional-tech-hubs-to-spur-american-innovation-strengthen-manufacturing-and-create-good-paying-jobs-in-every-region-of-the-country/

It's interesting to me these "hubs" tend to be in smaller metros with very specific focuses (Greenville and Augusta for example), not large metro areas with broad funding. I would think this comparatively hurts us less by not having it, if peer cities also aren't hosting these hubs. To be fair Richmond and Dallas had hubs, one from the state of VA the other through SMU (who had large amounts of matching private funds). 

The state of NC def dropped the ball, but they would have nominated RDUCH. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It's interesting to me these "hubs" tend to be in smaller metros with very specific focuses (Greenville and Augusta for example), not large metro areas with broad funding. I would think this comparatively hurts us less by not having it, if peer cities also aren't hosting these hubs. To be fair Richmond and Dallas had hubs, one from the state of VA the other through SMU (who had large amounts of matching private funds). 

The state of NC def dropped the ball, but they would have nominated RDUCH. 

there was a big push in the Raleigh Durham area and maybe they did not get these hubs as they are already one and recognized as such.  I found this list of places to be anywhere but NC is politics pure play.  NC did get one of the Chip Hubs which is  centered around Raleigh Durham and NC A&T in Greensboro.  

• Like 1

well this is bad news but had been rumored and known.  One Wells Fargo tower at 301 South College is heading back to the lender. 

From the Biz Journal:

""One Wells Fargo went into receivership on Oct. 15, according to filings related to the debt tied to commercial mortgage-backed securities. This means a third party has taken over control of the property as the lender continues to pursue foreclosure actions.

Tampa, Florida-based Vision Properties' loan on the 42-story tower at 301 S. College St. matured in May and became delinquent in July. Currently, about $157 million is owed on the building. Vision expressed interest in sending the building back to the borrower, according to the October notes of the special servicer monitoring the debt in CMBS filings. The servicer began pursing foreclosure action on the 35-year-old property in August, according to CMBS loan data.   The 994,033-square-foot building is currently about 48% vacant. That will rise to about 66% when Wells Fargo moves its employees from the building.""

this is really a shame as this is a beautiful building and just had a renovation of its interior.  I hope they can work something out or sell it to someone who can manage it properly.  All these office buildings going back to lenders is going to cause big problems for the banks in the future if something does not change.  

One Wells Fargo handed over to receiver following loan default - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I attended a special event in the round top area top floor of that building once, years ago. Part of the celebration/entertainment was a magician who had a mark choose a card from a deck and "magically" the card appeared on the outside of the jukebox glass facing inward so we could see it was his/her card. 

(He was not Lt Commander La Forge)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news bad news depending on what side of this transaction you are on.  Sometimes you can make big $$ on commercial property but sometimes not.  Case in point.  Buy low sell high is the best strategy but sometimes it does not happen.  

""Raleigh-based Perkins Fund has acquired a Class-A office property in Charlotte's airport submarket.

The real estate investment firm purchased Three Water Ridge at 2118 Water Ridge Parkway from AEW Capital Management. The $15 million sale closed Nov. 2, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. AEW had acquired the property in 2016 for $35 million, records show.""

Raleigh investor Perkins Fund buys office building near CLT for $15M - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

this building is 100% occupied by Walmart Store Services as a regional support center.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’d be shocked if Tepper didn’t threaten CLT/Meck/NC to relocate before he’d relinquish the team any time soon (at least a decade). I dont think Billionaires care what others think, so. I doubt he’ll be pressured. 

I’m glad a ton of land wasn’t given to Tepper. Last thing uptown needs is another entity controlling large swaths of uptown. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

No it doesn't steal my joy I would never let it.  The soccer team and all the concerts have been Mr Teppers greatest successes.  But his micromanagement of the NFL team is terrible and that is the key franchise in the city.  Even Krispy Kreme has not had to give away many doughnuts with a win.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tend to agree with the article. The combined misery of the Panthers/Hornets kind of drags the city's vibe down. Charlotte FC has had some positive impact, but I get the sense it is drowned by Panthers/Hornets. I also don't think that opinion is particularly dramatic or joyless, as much as just true.

For instance, when the team is at least reasonably competitive, that provides water cooler talk, camaraderie, etc. When you don't expect the team to be competitive or even win games, there is less to chat about and less common bond.

Sure, there are other great things going on in Charlotte. Charlotte's got a lot, after all. But it is also true that sports are important bonding force in American culture.

There is also probably some less tangible downstream impact to companies wanting to be associated with the teams, and using that as a sales and marketing tool both internally and externally. 

• Like 4