Ballantyne

underoak

• 2 weeks later...

Wow on the greenway connection progress! This is what happens when private does a job, takes 1/4 of the time (and probably 1/2 the cost).  Just a few months ago they started clearing trees.   While I am still sitting here waiting for my approved neighborhood greenway connection to even get started for 3+ years....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:44 PM, InSouthPark said:

Wow on the greenway connection progress! This is what happens when private does a job, takes 1/4 of the time (and probably 1/2 the cost).  Just a few months ago they started clearing trees.   While I am still sitting here waiting for my approved neighborhood greenway connection to even get started for 3+ years....

One of the main reasons why it takes so long is public sector must follow the law and internal procurement practices including right-of-way and easements acquisitions down to a tee, especially in Mecklenburg County.  Private sector can literally cut a check, hire engineering firm, finalize a design, and begin construction of the greenway extension. Much simpler streamlined processes can be accomplished when it's all private.

• Like 4

Not just the last post but the last several pages are really, really good updates and photos.

I lived in Ballantyne before (7 years ago) and I honestly loved the greenways and the greenery and it looks like what I liked most about Ballantyne is getting better. I liked living in Atkins Circle. 

I actually want to visit soon again just to enjoy the greenways and such. It’s not very urban or anything but I love Ballantyne for what it is. 

• Like 2

Not just the last post but the last several pages are really, really good updates and photos.
I lived in Ballantyne before (7 years ago) and I honestly loved the greenways and the greenery and it looks like what I liked most about Ballantyne is getting better. I liked living in Atkins Circle. 
I actually want to visit soon again just to enjoy the greenways and such. It’s not very urban or anything but I love Ballantyne for what it is. 

Lived there too! I agree it’s beautiful for what is!
  • Like 3

What is the status of a potential extension of the Blue Line to Ballantyne? Is this something we are expecting to happen at some point, and if so when? Within the next 5-10 years?

Looking increasingly like Ballantyne will be a hotspot that needs transit connections to the rest of the city. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

What is the status of a potential extension of the Blue Line to Ballantyne? Is this something we are expecting to happen at some point, and if so when? Within the next 5-10 years?

Looking increasingly like Ballantyne will be a hotspot that needs transit connections to the rest of the city. 

I'd guess this takes about 30 years.

Edited by Desert Power

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 12:26 PM, kermit said:

Last estimates I saw from CATS (which assumed sales tax was approved last year) was Btyne extension in 2040. (that slowness renders the extension pretty pointless in terms of shaping land use).

This will sound ridiculous but I firmly believe that the city could find enough money in its couch cushions to pay for a four person crew to start clearing the portions of this ROW that the public already owns. This, along with getting Northwood and whoever owns Carolina Place Mall on board with beginning some of site work necessary for the alignment should allow for some tangible (and visible) progress on some low-key civil engineering (drainage and retaining work) and utility relocation work. While they might not make a ton of progress it at least gives developers some confidence that rail is coming and provides some evidence to the Feds that we are committed to the project and deserve funding. Honestly, at the scale of the city budget the PR value of doing this would certainly outweigh the actual cost. Some token gestures to show we support transit expansion would certainly represent more progress than we are making now.

This delay is doubly ridiculous since it is a pretty straightforward project. There are a few wetland / floodplain issues and its gotta cross over 485, but otherwise this is the putput golf course of Light Rail construction (no tricky land ownership issues, neighbors all want it, only one nasty freight RR crossing, no need for another equipment service center)

Brookfield Properties (formerly General Growth Properties/GGP) owns Carolina Place mall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

This is what should happen to more golf courses.

I think the golfers would disagree.  Many golf courses have closed in this region over the years and been redeveloped.  But golf has had a big rebound in rounds so it is not going anywhere and most of the courses we have will stay.  There hasn't been a new course built in this region in years. 

• Like 2