Ballantyne

underoak

On 5/23/2023 at 7:06 PM, KJHburg said:

I think the golfers would disagree.  Many golf courses have closed in this region over the years and been redeveloped.  But golf has had a big rebound in rounds so it is not going anywhere and most of the courses we have will stay.  There hasn't been a new course built in this region in years. 

I get it. My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek as I'm still upset certain golf courses successfully lobbied to get their tax breaks in the revaluation.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, buildleft said:

Shots from today of progress on "the Bowl" and Lower Ave

IMG_2193.thumb.jpg.ae5bfa8b3adf0143d7a5f7b98a894c75.jpg

I'm glad to see progress on some real connectivity in this area that currently funnels traffic (of all modes) down Ballantyne Commons. Also, I wish these trees could survive phase II construction, the canopy presents such potential for the livability of this future community

IMG_2194.thumb.jpg.10a47550cc33d5e29f10a092eacc134c.jpg

Apologies for the negativity, but whenever I come by this project I can't help but see incredible amounts of wasted potential. I see it in the new roads that could have been narrower, the surface lots that could have been housing or green space, the street parking that could have been separated cycle paths or public/commercial space, the segregated uses that could have been integrated, the auto-oriented streets that could have easily been closed to non-delivery traffic, the construction of massive new parking decks in the proximity of existing decks that are almost always empty, the lack of sustainable building materials like mass timber, the absence of social/public infrastructure (schools, libraries, childcare, social services, etc), and I could go on and on... A city only gets so many chances at such a large blank slate, and 2023 is certainly not the time to continue with status-quo, highly carbon-intensive development

Lastly, the CATS link to the Pineville/Ballantyne extension is now a 404 error, which I hope is not reflective of the project generally... :(

https://www.charlottenc.gov/cats/transit-planning/Pages/Pineville-Ballantyne.aspx

Good chance that page was just lost in the transfer to the new website 

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 5:45 PM, MothBeast said:

Good chance that page was just lost in the transfer to the new website 

It was.  CATS needs to seperate their page from the main city of Charlotte website domain like the CLT Airport did years ago. The packaging of the ridetransit.org within the charlottenc.gov website is so dumb & lazy af.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I really hope the Blue Line extension happens in the not too distant future. This is shaping up to be a very deserving "end stop" on the line, like an Alewife to Boston's Red Line. 

Define distant LOL. Maybe our grandchildren will ride a train to Ballantyne in 2060. Most of us on this board will be nearing retirement or flat out old / dead by the time the train reaches Ballantyne with current pacing of rail development in Charlotte. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 7:58 AM, CLT2014 said:

The Bowl is looking like it has some elements of Greenville, SC's stroll district / downtown with the combination of public space, park space, natural amenities around the bridge / canyon, parks for families, and shopping / restaurant space adjacent. This is looking like a place people will come spend a Saturday and they don't need a special event at a stadium to draw them there. You can just walk around and enjoy being outside with a mix of shopping, dining, and enjoying nature / parks.

While Greenville has a waterfall and a natural river, Northwood has done a great job for completely needing to man-make this space from scratch.

Will there be any water features in the Bowl?