Ballantyne

underoak

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

The northern road connecting the Bowl to Community House is 99.9% done, just not open yet. We took the dogs for a walk down it this weekend. They are planting some large willow oaks along the road but everything else is complete.  It will be three lanes, bike lanes, and parallel parking on both sides.  

Are the bike lanes separate / standalone  from the car lanes and parking? 

1 hour ago, stw52 said:

Are the bike lanes separate / standalone  from the car lanes and parking? 

If I remember correctly:  Parking | Bike | Lane | Turning Lane | Lane | Bike | Parking

Not fully sure the point of the turning lane as there are no turns.  Might be for concert exits to use the turning lane as extra lane.

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.thumb.png.8ebaecb0b3967d08aca25ea91de75d29.png

believe it or not, a parking deck is a HUGE UPGRADE from whatever this is.....

Not even sure what you can do to improve this layout other than to tear down some buildings and start over.  Anyway, I’ll probably just be turning 60 when they start doing something on this side like 12+ years from now…

On 11/30/2023 at 8:45 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Not even sure what you can do to improve this layout other than to tear down some buildings and start over.  Anyway, I’ll probably just be turning 60 when they start doing something on this side like 12+ years from now…

First, determine which buildings to keep. Second, replace parking lots with parking decks. Third, take the leftover land and create infill projects.

I thought NR released a high-level aerial rendering of the full build-out on both sides of 521 when they first announced their purchase?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArchiCLT said:

First, determine which buildings to keep. Second, replace parking lots with parking decks. Third, take the leftover land and create infill projects.

I thought NR released a high-level aerial rendering of the full build-out on both sides of 521 when they first announced their purchase?

I think they did but it is such a big undertaking they are doing the golf course side east side first and they have their hands full with that.   I can see them taking some buildings to fit more housing in there  but like you said it will be a process of seeing what is viable to keep.  Some of the office buildings were built in the early 1990s and in another 10 years they will be 40 years old.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Wowowow massive improvement, looks like the idea is indeed to just plop developments over many of those giant parking lots

I hope future Ballantyne will command great views from the beltway. Idk why I just think it's a cool mark of a big city when even its beltway has big high rises visible.

Yeah, but just think how much bigger uptown would be, how much better it would be for the environment, and how much more truly urban  and convenient a city is when buildings aren't scattered all over. Think Houston.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Yeah, but just think how much bigger uptown would be, how much better it would be for the environment, and how much more truly urban  and convenient a city is when buildings aren't scattered all over. Think Houston.

I do agree. Houston absolutely baffles me. But given that the wasted parking lot land already exists now in Ballantyne, might as well develop on it I guess. And not build anything like old Ballantyne in the future. 

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

I do agree. Houston absolutely baffles me. But given that the wasted parking lot land already exists now in Ballantyne, might as well develop on it I guess. And not build anything like old Ballantyne in the future. 

Those lots will fill up, then there'll be more strip malls to support all the folks working there. Then more nail botiques, then supermarkets to catch the crowds as they head home. It'd be nice to think everything will remain contained. It won't.  

There are a couple of us who remember that area the way it used to be. It was amazing. Huge rolling fields interspersed with patches of trees. Great hunting! My family had dogs kept with the Miller Family, who used to own a large tract nearby set up for hunting quail.  My dad and I must've collected a hundred arrowheads within those woods. Boy Scouts used to hike in and camp there.....

I get it. "Progress".

Edited by Windsurfer
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

River District....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2