The Good News Report

atlrvr

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte metro area finishes 2106 with #7 ranking in new home permits in country with almost 12,000  this is still much lower than the peak. http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2016/12/19/san-antonio-no-24-in-u-s-for-single-family-housing.html?ana=e_ae_set2&s=article_du&ed=2016-12-19&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1482183226&j=76805561#g7

Technically tied exactly with Austin at 6. Fairly impressive. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta ahead of us are substantially larger. Orlando is barely ahead which is surprising even with HB2. Corporate relocation have probably impacted much more than home starts, but with HB2 behind us I can't wait to see whats in store for '17.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Technically tied exactly with Austin at 6. Fairly impressive. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta ahead of us are substantially larger. Orlando is barely ahead which is surprising even with HB2. Corporate relocation have probably impacted much more than home starts, but with HB2 behind us I can't wait to see whats in store for '17.

This is whats ahead of us.

Q4s9y2z2.png

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Oh come on, humor us- what did you write?

Surprisingly, nothing. I simple hit "quote" and there were two old messages from another topic and Voila!. I have learned that on this thread you keep your mouth shut if you have an opinion that is not supportive of "special interest"  liberal related agenda. I will stick to construction issues. Good luck with Mayor Robert's flawless leadership and those highly intelligent members of the Charlotte City Council that are her cronies. :)  I am actually much happier now with the wonderful news of a enlightened, energetic, intellectual new "real" national leader. Isn't it wonderful? Have a great evening and thank you for being concerned that I didn't express my valuable thoughts in what appeared to be a failed attempt previously. 

Edited by caterpillar2

Actually housing starts are being held down locally due to lack of lots in many places.  All the excess lots of the housing bust have been consumed and built on. Builders are scrambling to find lots to build on and also builders are facing increasing costs for labor and materials. So many lumber mills and suppliers went out of business in 2008-2010 the industry is having a hard time getting cranked up again. I think 2017 will be higher starts even with slightly higher interest rates. 

• Like 1

AvidXchange expects their first building to be filled up within 1 year with 1100 employees. The company expects to hire 150-200 people in 2017.  This is a great Charlotte technology success story probably the biggest. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/12/29/charlottes-newsmakers-in-2016-michael-praeger-on.html?ana=e_me_set3&s=newsletter&ed=2016-12-29&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1483021531&j=76895291

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Belk Bowl attendance was up from last year slightly  JUST IN: 2016 #BelkBowl attendance at 46,902--- --previous year 46,423 @wsoctv   plus it was a great game what a comeback by VA Tech and I know their many alumni here in Charlotte will celebrate big tonight! 

Holy crap.  VA Tech won.  They were getting hammered when I had the game on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

N.C. State economist predicts NC going from boom to boom-ier in 2017 ...

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article123169654.html

I know NC / Charlotte has taken a lot of gut punches this year and I know it has cost a lot.  But the reality is, for companies, there are downright hostile areas in the US to operate from.  Getting hammered on everything from taxes to regulations...at some point (even with HB2) North Carolina is just too good to pass up.  

• Like 3

^ the story isn't that pretty, until the past year or two we have always outgrown South Carolina. Our rate of income growth is also lagging the nation and its continuing to diverge.

I wonder what our growth rates would have been without the RWNJ's in Raleigh?

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ the story isn't that pretty, until the past year or two we have always outgrown South Carolina. Our rate of income growth is also lagging the nation and its continuing to diverge.

Link?

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

It would have been stronger for sure.  It can also improve.  But my point was, comparatively, NC is a much better place to do business than many states.  If you would like to discuss negatives...there are other threads for that.  

• Like 3

North Carolina has over twice the number of people as South Carolina so a smaller state can grow quick. SC's main trump card over NC is their port of Charleston. Our ports are so much smaller and many large manufacturers like working with a port authority that has lots of options for shipping like Charleston SC Port Authority as well as Georgia with Savannah and Brunswick. Almost all of the office space growth in SC is right over the border from Charlotte in York and Lancaster counties. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dale said:

Article says rapid job growth at BOTH ends of the pay scale.

Data from www.bea.gov shows pc income in NC dropping from 92% of the US mean in 2008 down to 84.9% in Q3 2016.  Growth at the top end ain't fast enough to prevent backsliding.

Our current economic development policy is making North Carolinians relatively worse off. Should we really celebrate that?

I agree that this thread isn't the best place to discuss negatives. However I don't think any of us want this thread to gaslight crappy ED policy. If we want NC residents to be better off in the future we need to not pretend everything is kosher just because Lincoln County got a new fuel injector assembly plant.

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Data from www.bea.gov shows pc income in NC dropping from 92% of the US mean in 2008 down to 84.9% in Q3 2016.  Growth at the top end ain't fast enough to prevent backsliding.

Our current economic development policy is making North Carolinians relatively worse off. Should we really celebrate that?

I agree that this thread isn't the best place to discuss negatives. However I don't think any of us want this thread to gaslight crappy ED policy. If we want NC residents to be better off in the future we need to not pretend everything is kosher just because Lincoln County got a new fuel injector assembly plant.

Lincoln Countians would consider you the life of the party.

From this map we should be doing a lot of recruiting out of PA, NJ, Mass, and CT for companies. Our new 3% corp. income is the lowest in the country of the states with corp. income taxes and only a few do not. Texas property taxes are extremely high if you do a corporate built to suit. 

• Like 4