The Good News Report

atlrvr

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

200 more jobs with Jeld-Wen worlds largest window maker based in Charlotte with new corporate campus is southwest Charlotte details sketchy right now. But more new jobs. http://charlotte.global/index.php?src=news&submenu=News&srctype=detail&category=Economic Development News&refno=1431

Awesome expansion and a good investment in the manufacturing section of Charlotte. Average salary of $75,000 is solid too. 

Unfortunately sounds like they will be leaving Uptown / Ally Financial building as a result of the new HQ campus which will add some vacancy, but the space will likely get absorbed.

Charlotte has added on average 32 jobs everyday for the last decade and in pure numbers puts this region in the top 20 of US metros. It is truly incredible and other metros in the state some are not so lucky. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/09/metro-charlotte-added-30-plus-jobs-each-day-over.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2

I mentioned this a couple of days ago but I did not realize BIC's footprint in Charlotte was that big and undoubtedly there are new jobs. I can see how the Charlotte region adds on average 32 jobs a day. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/10/bic-corp-expands-queen-city-footprint.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter   663,000 sq ft of warehouse space for pens, markers, razors is a LOT of that product! 

• Like 1

More new jobs in the Charlotte region and a strong region means a strong vibrant Charlotte city. 

50 new manufacturing jobs in Statesville http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/10/amesburytruth-to-build-38m-statesville-plant-add.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

175 new financial jobs in Fort Mill with OneMain http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/10/finance-company-to-expand-add-175-jobs-in-fort.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter   This is interesting to me they took over the old Citibank building there I think. Someone mentioned Citibank might be looking for space uptown. Any insight about this.   Anyway keeping up with the average of 32 jobs a day for the region! 

• Like 1

OneMain is the old CitiFinancial consumer lending operation (think 13% interest rate for someone who finances their new HVAC system or water heater).  The sold and merged their business with Springleaf Financial which was previously American General.

Long story short, they are in the same building as Citigroup, because most of the existing employees used to be part of Citigroup, but this is now a separate stand-alone company.

Theses new jobs are call-center job, loan process and debt collection job,

• Like 1

The Jeld Wen headquarters expansion will officially be located in Ayrsley after they move from the Ally Building, up against 485 by the Embassy Suites. The project went from spec to build to suit. Jeld Wen is taking 120,000 square feet. I'm excited for the job announcement and understand why they picked the manufacturing corridor, but it would have been awesome if they could have taken 120k off one of the new buildings Uptown. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/17/jeld-wen-bringing-200-jobs-new-headquarters-to.html

New Forum Inc. is developing and marketing One Silver Crescent, a 120,000-square-foot office building in Ayrsley, to be finished by the third quarter of 2017.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That is terrific! Random thought (perhaps for the other thread):

How close does the train come to Ayrsley a) presently b) planned ?

3 or 4 miles and there are no plans to extend the Light Rail on the south side at this time.

13 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

That 49 S Tryon corridor could really use it.  What a damn mess

If only the original Blue Line had been extended over I-485 to Pineville.  A spur line could have parralled the NS R-line industrial spur that goes from South Blvd to South Tryon along Westinghouse Blvd.  In fact that spur goes as far west as Steele Creek and Shopton to the Siemens plant.  Opportunity lost...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

While it's good that Amazon has created 500 to 700 jobs, we shouldn't forget that the wage for a warehouse worker at Amazon is approximately $12 an hour or $24,000 per year if the job is full-time.  But, another positive:  Amazon wages are $2, maybe $3, more per hour than a workers earn at a Wal-Mart

It is a low skill job.  What kind of compensation do you expect for someone walking around a warehouse and putting items in boxes off a list all day?

As for the pay, the job offers great benefits for the whole family.  Many people are finding that crappy health insurance costs thousands....

Many employed I am sure will be going to school full time like at CPCC or maybe even UNC Charlotte. This might be a stepping stone job for them. We need JOBS of all payscales in Charlotte not everyone can be forensic financial accountant or software engineer. And out of 500 plus jobs or however many they end up having their will be quite a few managers, IT people keeping the place running. Not all $10-15 a hour jobs. These jobs posted here dont sound like min wage and they keep updating this site quite a bit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/locations/charlotte-northcarolina?base_query=&loc_query=&job_count=4&result_limit=10&sort=relevant&location[]=charlotte-northcarolina&cache  I would rather see people working they waiting on checks! 

• Like 2

I don't think that anyone here will dispute that new jobs  are a plus for workers in the region. However it also seems clear that jobs that pay less than half of our median household income make our region worse off statistically. While statistics might be irrelevant to workers already here, decreasing numbers will certainly reduce the desire of skilled people to move here while decreasing unemployment will attract a larger number of unskilled workes.

Charlotte is an affluent city. Given that, not all new jobs are 'good news'.

Edited by kermit