Southend Living

Cant remember if it's already been mentioned, but Deejai Thai is close to being open in the old RB&R/Quiznos space in the Park Ave building where Carrabbas is. It's not really filling a void since there's Thai Thai and Thai Taste within a mile, but it'll probably last longer than the last few deli places that were in there. 

I was really wondering what was going on in that space. I have seen the paper up on the windows with light shining out from the sides each morning when I drive by, so I knew something was coming. I actually think this will be a great addition. Thai Thai is only open for dinner - and take out only. Thai Taste, though delicious, offers such a limited menu at lunch. Deejai offers a full menu at lunch, which would get my business for Thai food in SouthEnd, as that is where I work. I, for one, am excited about this addition to Southend's food options! With this and Seoul Food coming, I could eat a different Asian cuisine every day each week and not go more than 5 blocks from my office! (Of course, Seoul Food is the actual game changer...I could still walk to Thai Taste too)

On 2/13/2016 at 11:44 PM, ScottCLT said:

I was really wondering what was going on in that space. I have seen the paper up on the windows with light shining out from the sides each morning when I drive by, so I knew something was coming. I actually think this will be a great addition. Thai Thai is only open for dinner - and take out only. Thai Taste, though delicious, offers such a limited menu at lunch. Deejai offers a full menu at lunch, which would get my business for Thai food in SouthEnd, as that is where I work. I, for one, am excited about this addition to Southend's food options! With this and Seoul Food coming, I could eat a different Asian cuisine every day each week and not go more than 5 blocks from my office! (Of course, Seoul Food is the actual game changer...I could still walk to Thai Taste too)

Here ya go, Seoul Food opening by the end of the week. I love the look of the interior, fits right in with the area.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/38987/seoul-food-meat-company-gold-district/

12 minutes ago, Prodev said:

1616 has its first retail tenant starting work. It's a fast casual italian restaurant called Fidelli. 

Man! Thank you for reminding me. I had this sitting for a bit and totally forgot about it. I'm pretty hyped about this. Perfect for Camden. Camden needs fast casual.

Edited by Jayvee

Maybe it's just because I work and live in South End so my dining options are the same whether I'm at work or at home, but I think South End is under populated with restaurants in general. 

On another note, I saw a post on instagram over the weekend from the contractor that did the work on Charlotte Yoga's new spot on Winnifred and he mentioned something about Not Just Coffee being next door. Maybe I just misread it or maybe he was talking about them being next door to his office, but it came off as if they were next to Charlotte Yoga on Winnifred or they were going to be. Not sure if it would be a retail location or more of a commissary space like Luna's has in there, but it would be a welcome addition if true. Anyone know anything about this?

6 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Personally I would like to see the return of Greek isles! Enough Tex Mex places already!!!

I definitely agree. Especially ones as lame as Hot Taco. 

Honestly if chains are the only casual restaurants likely to afford some of these new spaces, I would not mind a Zoe's. I would end up getting lunch there a lot. 

Is Hot Taco that bad? I work in Sounth End and have been wanting to give it a shot. I figured the guys behind All American Pub, Whiskey Warehouse, etc. would do a decent Mexican joint. There isn't another Tex Mex option in South End that I know of, ever since La Paz left (and not really missing that place). I'm not expecting amazing food, just general US-style Mexican fare that fits the bill of what we expect in a typical Mexican restaurant. Is it any different than that?

That being said, I do miss Greek Isles. That place was awesome...best Greek in Charlotte. They are opening up another restaurant elsewhere, though, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on Deejai Thai going into Park Ave building...restaurant has their signage up now and it will be called Rai Lay Thai, but I'm pretty sure it's the same ownership as Deejai. Also, GNC is taking half of the remaining vacant space in front of Publix. 

3 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Update on Deejai Thai going into Park Ave building...restaurant has their signage up now and it will be called Rai Lay Thai, but I'm pretty sure it's the same ownership as Deejai. Also, GNC is taking half of the remaining vacant space in front of Publix. 

Another chain, yay!! As for Rai Lay, I actually really like the signage and Deejai is solid so I think it's definitely good for the area. 

gezzus. the publix building now has 1) a haircut chain, 2) Time Warner Cable and 3) GNC. I can't imagine a less inspiring collection of businesses.

I guess all of them will be out of business soon due to gigabit internet, the broad acceptance of Kardashian ass and the pending availability of autonomous flowbees for diy haircuts.

hqdefault.jpgarticle-0-1B5F1E2400000578-291_306x662.jFlowbee-rick-1.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I feel like 3 is probably pushing it. A barcade feels like sort of a niche establishment and I think 3 might be oversaturation of the market.. I enjoyed going to Boxcar in Raleigh, but I just can't see myself going to a barcade very frequently. Maybe a couple times a year.

I think the one on Central is really going to hurt Abari. A barcade is a cool stop during a night out, and a Central location allows to to go in, play a few games and have a beer or two then hit other places in the neighborhood. Abari is all alone.

36 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I feel like 3 is probably pushing it. A barcade feels like sort of a niche establishment and I think 3 might be oversaturation of the market.. I enjoyed going to Boxcar in Raleigh, but I just can't see myself going to a barcade very frequently. Maybe a couple times a year.

I think the one on Central is really going to hurt Abari. A barcade is a cool stop during a night out, and a Central location allows to to go in, play a few games and have a beer or two then hit other places in the neighborhood. Abari is all alone.

I agree with that... I think one or two of these barcades will be pretty cool. But I don't want to see Barcades become Asian Fusion in Charlotte...  

On 2/16/2016 at 9:36 AM, Prodev said:

This is kind of a bummer. Abari spent so much time and money rehabbing their space, which is probably one of the only old structures that will survive the onslaught of development in that stretch of N Davidson. Plus, I spent some time there, you can only get SO much enjoyment out of those old games as an adult. It's an insanely niche place. Hopefully when Joe's Doughs opens up next door it'll help them out.

Edit: I couldn't get this quote off...

Edited by SgtCampsalot