Southend Living

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Fine. I hope everyone is happy having shattered my sense of wonder and joy. Anything you guys want to tell me about Santa?

[Takes ball and goes home...]

Hey man, the day I biked down (Kingston? Worthington?) for the first time and smelled that sugary goodness I was like "AM I IN HEAVEN?!?!" Your sense of wonder is justified and validated!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this "construction" about a month ago and initially thought it might be the start of the Transformer Park portion of the new and improved rail trail. Judging from the lack of progress since it appears I was wrong, but does anybody know anything about rail trail parks progress?

IMG_20160609_130756594_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I saw this "construction" about a month ago and initially thought it might be the start of the Transformer Park portion of the new and improved rail trail. Judging from the lack of progress since it appears I was wrong, but does anybody know anything about rail trail parks progress?

IMG_20160609_130756594_HDR.jpg

To be put simply. CATS is being a gigantic pain in the ____ and really inhibiting the progress of anything cool along any of these projects. I haven't done it yet but if you're bored a few flaming emails to them calling them roadblocks for progress couldn't hurt. 

32 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Can you expand more on that? Is the construction netting CATS-related?

No that's for "Transformer Park" but apparently CATS is being a major pain about ROWs and are just being pissy in general. I don't want to put too many details out there as I got them in trouble in the first place by mistake. 

In other news, it's about damn time they woke up to the amazing idea of closing Camden for South End Fest. This Saturday is going to be incredible. 50+ food trucks, trolly rides from all the breweries, etc. Perfect

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/discover-edge-town/

For those that want to know: Trolly stops will be Phat Burrito > Atherton Mill > Triple C > Lenny Boy/Sycamore > Unknown then back to Phat Burrito running in 20 min intervals.

Edited by Jayvee

I have a vague memory of an arcade bar coming to Church street near Craft  (I thought?), but tonight I saw this banner on a vacant Palmer street building (408 W Palmer). Did I get the location wrong for the previous discussion about a Southend arcade bar? Regardless, I am very excited, Charlotte can not have too many arcade bars! (and Abari kinda sucks due to poor game and beer selection)

out.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, kermit said:

I have a vague memory of an arcade bar coming to Church street near Craft  (I thought?), but tonight I saw this banner on a vacant Palmer street building (408 W Palmer). Did I get the location wrong for the previous discussion about a Southend arcade bar? Regardless, I am very excited, Charlotte can not have too many arcade bars! (and Albari kinda sucks due to poor game and beer selection)

out.jpg

Nope. Same owner that was gonna do it on Church. The deal fell through there so he moved it to here in the gold district. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mecklenburg ABC moving into the old Silverfly location at the corner of Tryon & Camden.

IMG_1365.JPG

EDIT: Also, anyone know what's going in on Bland at this location? Drove past on the weekend and it was being gutted.

bland st.png

Edited by birky
  • Like 3

a few bits and pieces from Pokemoning with my daughter on Saturday:

Central Coffee has papered up the windows on their corner slot at 1700 Camden. The sign says opening "this summer"

A restaurant named Fidelli has signs in the office building retail slot closest to Prices (1618 Camden). Website says "Fast Fresh Italian" and they have a bizarre geographic footprint "Charlotte, Ottawa, Dublin". Looks kinda interesting and kinda old-school Italian -- I didn't see a link to a menu. http://fidellikitchen.com/  (slightly concerned that they put an incorrect url on their sign)

I also finally noticed the Twister setup in the old dumpster closet for Phat B (Camden and Bland). CCCP is doing a nice job with the tiny art / activation projects that they manage to pull off. Despite that I am concerned that DFA construction will damage Southend's livability momentum. 

Anyone have an Common Market relo rumors?

Fidelli.jpg

Twister.jpg

Edited by kermit

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

Central Coffee has papered up the windows on their corner slot at 1700 Camden. The sign says opening "this summer"

A restaurant named Fidelli has signs in the office building retail slot closest to Prices (1618 Camden). Website says "Fast Fresh Italian" and they have a bizarre geographic footprint "Charlotte, Ottawa, Dublin". Looks kinda interesting and kinda old-school Italian -- I didn't see a link to a menu. http://fidellikitchen.com/  (slightly concerned that they put an incorrect url on their sign)

I also finally noticed the Twister setup in the old dumpster closet for Phat B (Camden and Bland). CCCP is doing a nice job with the tiny art / activation projects that they manage to pull off. Despite that I am concerned that DFA construction will damage Southend's livability momentum. 

Anyone have an Common Market relo rumors?

Fidelli.jpg

Twister.jpg

I'd wager that Fidelli sign has been up now for about 3 months with no visible movement.  I'm sure someone can give us more insight, but from the naked eye, this thing isn't moving at all.

I remember commenting on it when the sign first went up, so I went back and that was Feb 15th, so it's been up for 5 months with no activity. Supposedly the larger restaurant space with covered patio has been leased for months now too, but there's been no activity there either. 

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

A restaurant named Fidelli has signs in the office building retail slot closest to Prices (1618 Camden). Website says "Fast Fresh Italian" and they have a bizarre geographic footprint "Charlotte, Ottawa, Dublin". Looks kinda interesting and kinda old-school Italian --

That's great, but the crazy thing will be the totally polar opposite urban vibes of those streetscapes.

Central Coffee (1700 Camden)

Fidelli Restaurant (1618 Camden)

What a difference...

On 7/6/2016 at 5:05 PM, birky said:

EDIT: Also, anyone know what's going in on Bland at this location? Drove past on the weekend and it was being gutted.

bland st.png

Does anyone know the answer to Birky's question about what is happenind to the bldg at the corner of Bland and Winnifred?  Looks like it may become a brewery with patio...

8 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Does anyone know the answer to Birky's question about what is happenind to the bldg at the corner of Bland and Winnifred?  Looks like it may become a brewery with patio...

I answered. Last I heard it was going to be RBA Groups new space. However I saw it recently, you're right. It's not looking like a new architects space. Let me investigate 

• 2 weeks later...