Southend Living

Ricky not bad thoughts, but I have a hard time believing they would work: 

1.) Close off Camden... Where are we going to get the money for this? Also, everyone on that street would have to sign a petition. I don't see this happening anytime soon. Massive undertaking.

2.) Basically on the street outside Carabbas etc. Um yea... I don't see this happening either. The food trucks draw in HUGE crowds. I'm sure major tenants like Carabbas and bars/rest along this street would love it. Too many people to keep this contained. 

3.) Atherton Mill Parking Lot - again, either you would need a petition and crowds are way to big! You would be disrupting any residential unit along that strip. Not a bad thought tho. 

4.) Hawkins - maybe the only smart thing you've said so far.

5.) unused land/single tree - you sent a link to the location; it's smaller then where the food trucks are now. Awful idea. You're basically saying let's move from a small location to a smaller location.

If food trucks have a strong following; which some of them do; they need to divide and concur. People come from all over to wait 3+ hours for a sloppy grilled cheese, but its 100% worth it. My top two choices would be;

1.) CPCC? there's a stadium over there and ample parking. I'm not 100% sure how often this gets used but I drive past it frequently and it appears to be empty the majority of the time.

2.) Music Factory!! Ample Parking and tons of space.

1.) Close off Camden... Where are we going to get the money for this? Also, everyone on that street would have to sign a petition. I don't see this happening anytime soon. Massive undertaking.

2.) Basically on the street outside Carabbas etc. Um yea... I don't see this happening either. The food trucks draw in HUGE crowds. I'm sure major tenants like Carabbas and bars/rest along this street would love it. Too many people to keep this contained. 

3.) Atherton Mill Parking Lot - again, either you would need a petition and crowds are way to big! You would be disrupting any residential unit along that strip. Not a bad thought tho. 

5.) unused land/single tree - you sent a link to the location; it's smaller then where the food trucks are now. Awful idea. You're basically saying let's move from a small location to a smaller location.

If food trucks have a strong following; which some of them do; they need to divide and concur. People come from all over to wait 3+ hours for a sloppy grilled cheese, but its 100% worth it. My top two choices would be;

1.) CPCC? there's a stadium over there and ample parking. I'm not 100% sure how often this gets used but I drive past it frequently and it appears to be empty the majority of the time.

1, 2, 3) I live in Brooklyn and have been all over the country to food truck events in Austin, Portland, San Francisco, and Chicago. The first 3 things I mentioned work seamlessly in these cities. Plus, Keep in mind their food truck rally's aren't sponsored by the Southend Arm of Center City Partners. They can get away with whatever they want. This is also why they will not move out of Southend. 

5) Food Truck Lot 101' by 203'= 20,503 Sq feet

Lot on Summit and Church 160' x 171' = 27,345 sq feet

So Actually the Lot on Summit and Church is larger, and has two roads that dead end, a unused paved road, and plentiful parking nearby.

Lol this guy...

• Like 1

Pretty sure they can't get away with 'whatever' they want. I think you're being a little dramatic. I too have been to food truck events and they aren't held in such tight corridors. 

Yes, I agree that they have some freedom and could park curb-side; but it's not in their best interest or they would have already done this by now. I disagree with shutting down streets every Friday; too much disruption for residence. 

Pretty sure they can't get away with 'whatever' they want. I think you're being a little dramatic. I too have been to food truck events and they aren't held in such tight corridors. 

Yes, I agree that they have some freedom and could park curb-side; but it's not in their best interest or they would have already done this by now. I disagree with shutting down streets every Friday; too much disruption for residence. 

So what are your thoughts on the lot on Summit and Church, being that its 7,000 sq feet larger, and has two streets that dead end at it?

Also I generally agree that shutting down Camden is not the answer. 

Edited by Guest

7,000 SF will give it some breathing room; but I'm sure would be eaten up quickly. 

The trucks draw a big crowd - I think it will be interesting to see if any of them 'stray' from the pack. It's a bold move, but it could pay off. 

Biggest hurdle would be land ownership, that lot is owned by CTS Properties, who own the Light Industrial Building down at the end of the dead end. I feel they could utilize the untravelled dead in streets it could be a big win. Food Truck Friday is a huge catalyst for the area, I would hate to see it move to another neighborhood.

CMBX, just wanted to point out... Food Truck Friday is mostly fueled by young adults who live in Southend and others using the light rail. Moving it to CPCC or NCMF and targeting only drivers might work, but certainly wouldn't be ideal, knowing how successful it already is.

I'm not exactly sure I understand why Camden couldn't be shut down for 4-5 hrs a week between Park and Tremont. Other than street parking, all traffic to buildings on Camden is on the backside and the blocks are pretty tight for any detour. Driving up Camden during food truck Friday now is already sketchy because of how many people spill into the street. Tryon and South are not far out of the way. Traffic could still be allowed to pass through on West Blvd.

Once the gold line is up and running (street car), CPCC isn't a bad choice at would still connect commuters, Elizabeth, PM, and anyone else up and down 7th street. There are plenty of people outside the local commuters that want to enjoy the food trucks, but hassle of parking and waiting in line is becoming too much (I might be bias).  

Well what is the original source of the rumor? Link to a tweet?

The origin of this Rumor is this thread, a page back. Two people saying they have heard from sources, and ATLRVR being cagey about it. LOL

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/page-149

Starting at comment #2966 from Southend midrise thread about a month ago... Possibly related to the rumors?

^Give that man a prize!

When I posted those rumors I had heard that 'the whole block' was going to get raised and rebuilt into something vague. As I said then (and now) my source is not someone who is a development 'insider' so I discounted the 'whole block' part of the gossip and focused on the more plausible rebuild of the corner building.

My source is a Southend business owner (not on that block), while they have a good sense of the neighborhood and are well connected they have gotten development details wrong before. I have interacted with them since I posted the original rumor and they offered no new or contradictory information about the project (but I didn't bring it up since I didn't consider it serious at the time). Post #438 in this thread (by archiham04 two pages back) was my first corroboration of the rumor. I have not seen or posted anything on the tweeter (but I would like to know where to look).

In short: my info is little more than a half-assed rumor that coincidentally bumped into a similar one (apologies to archiham04).

Edited by kermit

My rumor came with some pretty specific details about CM plans for the future...  and from a design professional.

and ATLRVR who knows more than anyone on this board 9 times out of 10 was being cagey... I think something is cooking up. Maybe not with the Common Market building, but with the food truck lot.

My rumor came with some pretty specific details about CM plans for the future...

Common Market has 3 years left on their lease and ....

Or perhaps CM got a juicy enough lease-buyout that they have already identified and leased a new spot? (this is just me blue-skying, I don't have any actual info about this).

While I certainly don't want to see the CM relocate the best thing for Southend's continued growth into a proper neighborhood might be to have it relocate a _little_ further west and or South (but remain in Southend).

• Like 1

and ATLRVR who knows more than anyone on this board 9 times out of 10 was being cagey... I think something is cooking up. Maybe not with the Common Market building, but with the food truck lot.

I think definitely related to CM leaving... He referenced your remark about flying down to protest its removal.

Or perhaps CM got a juicy enough lease-buyout that they have already identified and leased a new spot? (this is just me blue-skying, I don't have any actual info about this).

While I certainly don't want to see the CM relocate the best thing for Southend's continued growth into a proper neighborhood might be to have it relocate a _little_ further west and or South (but remain in Southend).

West would be nice. It could spring a bit more action in the "gold district".

CM finding another space nearby would be cold comfort to me, the patio they have right now is special. How many other unique alley-accessed spaces like that exist in Charlotte? Let's not forget about all the other locally-owned businesses in there too. I hope we are just seeing people jump to conclusions about a food truck lot proposal. 

• Like 1