Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

the banks are NOT getting it right by building skyscrapers that do not pay any attention to the street what-so-ever. Just because one makes a fortune does not mean they are "getting it right". Usually it's the greedy mofo's that only care for themselves that make the fortune, unfortunately.

Name one corporation or organization that has given more money to this city.

They may not always have it right, but we have been greatly benefited because of their existence.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name one corporation or organization that has given more money to this city.....They may not always have it right, but we have been greatly benefited because of their existence.
I am not sure what point what so ever this has to do with the point made. Nobody said anything about the corporate philanthropy of these banks.
...Yet they are the ones making a fortune. Guess they might actually be getting it right? Could you please explain "worst unban planning mistake to hit downtown since the end of WWII?"
Ditto. However I also suggest on this comment you might want to have a look at the news. First Union and Wachovia are history, and BofA has become a ward of the federal government. None the less, this has nothing to do with the point being made. I stand by my comments. Why don't you try to address them.

The banks have donated money to a lot of things yes, but as far as urban development is concerned.....the banks and also local government destroyed uptown (although, most cities at the time were doing similar things since it was "the thing to do" back then). It's great that they are somewhat trying to remedy this problem with their newer developments such as Hearst Tower and the newly named Duke Energy Tower. It is going to take a long time to fix the problems with development uptown though.

isn't duke energy center going to be a little better in this regard? i don't know the details of how much retail there will be but at least its built up close to the street...maybe thats just because the gigantic plaza quota is being filled by the museums next door, one of the few places it actually seems to make sense to have one.

and i'm curious, what could Hearst have done better? i have no idea what was there before, but it seems pretty well integrated with the older lowrise buildings on tryon and has tons of retail (excluding 6th)

Hearst Tower I think is the best example of what the banks should have been building all along. Now the Duke Energy Center will have the museums, but once the museums are closed at night there is nothing down there. I do not remember the building have much, if any retail space? Someone correct me on that if I am wrong. At least the museums will attract more people uptown for the weekends during the day.

The 3 Wachovia tower, the Ratcliffe, and the other little retail building across the park represent a good effort on that banks behalf, I believe, of getting retail space to street level. It was essentially all one big master planned project. Isn't Stonewall St along the new Duke Energy Center supposed to be lined with retail?

In looking at that plan I see it being more like 50%, but without measuring it, I will say it's possible. However, the devil is in the details. In looking at it closer and from looking at the photos of this building to get idea. It looks to me that all this retail is going to be faced inward to some sort of internal street or corridor. Ah La epicenter, etc. In other words, typical developer nonsense that fails at street level since the back sides of these places will be more long streets of blank walls.

It is amazing how they are so consistent in getting this wrong.

In looking at that plan I see it being more like 50%, but without measuring it, I will say it's possible. However, the devil is in the details. In looking at it closer and from looking at the photos of this building to get idea. It looks to me that all this retail is going to be faced inward to some sort of internal street or corridor. Ah La epicenter, etc. In other words, typical developer nonsense that fails at street level since the back sides of these places will be more long streets of blank walls.

It is amazing how they are so consistent in getting this wrong.

You can quote me on this, but all of the retail will face toward the street and into the "pedestrian corridor" between structures ( I realize the corridor is what you are worried about). Certainly more than 50% of the street will be retail on the bottom, keep in mind the blue area that says "mint museum" will be the mint museum store/lobby, and I believe the condo tower lobby will be part retail at least until they build a condo tower on the Fourth of Never.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Charlotte Observer.

Originally, a condo development was planned atop the Church Street side of the Mint, but it has been put on hold indefinitely because of the recession. The building is being designed in a way that will allow a high-rise project to be constructed on top of it later, said Bob Bertges, executive vice president and managing director for corporate real estate for Wachovia.

Nothing like good old corporate doublespeak from a bank exec. i.e. "on hold indefinitely" vs canceled. And then there is "condo or a hotel or other structure" haha. That sure narrows it down.

He said exactly what the project status is. If the economy improves they will build it. If demands change they will change the concept accordingly.

It may be two years from now, it may be twenty years from now.

He said exactly what the project status is. If the economy improves they will build it. If demands change they will change the concept accordingly.

It may be two years from now, it may be twenty years from now.

Sounded to me also to be as clear as possible, given the current situation.

I could see a hotel going at this site someday...with all the new office and the convention center nearby it would make sense.

As far as the idea of a gas station....how the hell would you get the cars up to the 5th Floor on top of the Mint Museum? A car elevator would have to be installed....But I don't think the idea would get past permitting....all that gas on the hot roof of the Mint Museum just seems to be a recipe for disaster.

I could see a hotel going at this site someday...with all the new office and the convention center nearby it would make sense.

As far as the idea of a gas station....how the hell would you get the cars up to the 5th Floor on top of the Mint Museum? A car elevator would have to be installed....But I don't think the idea would get past permitting....all that gas on the hot roof of the Mint Museum just seems to be a recipe for disaster.

Whoa, hey, hold on there Mr. nodreamer! When cars fly this will be perfect. As a kid I was promised flying cars and I'm going to get them.icon7.gif

Alright, alright...obviously a gas station is not going to be going up here, but something will eventually go up, it just may not be what we previously thought. Now back on-topic...

I do hope the cap it discretely so that it will look better than 210 Trade above Epicenter.

This is purely speculative, and may not be pertinent to this folder, but I look for Duke to move it's operations from the building on the corner of College and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd over to the existing Duke Energy Headquarters. If that happens, watch Hyatt build a hotel on the site that the Duke Data Center currently occupies.

Archived