Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

I thought a number of things in that list were a joke too. I mean no one could seriously consider comparing the Gateway Arch and Firebird for landmarks. If that was the deciding factor between the two cities, the QC would be screwed. I think we all wish Charlotte had something nearly as iconic as the Arch or Space Needle.

Agreed. It would be awesome if Charlotte did have something that iconic. St. Louis is rightfully proud (or they should be) of that Arch. It's really awesome and it also screams St. Louis. Maybe someday Charlotte will have an icon even if it's never on par with the Arch and some of the other icons mentioned.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more cynical among us (the meckdeck ultra-lib(ertarian) outlet) suggest that today's West Charlotte high school funding announcement was orchestrated to address the concerns of the DNC site selection committee.

I don't know enough of the story to agree or disagree but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Sorry about the lack of a direct link, I just can't bring myself to drive traffic their way after their behavior during the transit tax repeal process.

Agreed. It would be awesome if Charlotte did have something that iconic. St. Louis is rightfully proud (or they should be) of that Arch. It's really awesome and it also screams St. Louis. Maybe someday Charlotte will have an icon even if it's never on par with the Arch and some of the other icons mentioned.

The arch is really neat, though I haven't been in it in probably over 10 years. They're currently working on it because the arch took the term "rust belt" a little too literally. They're working to fix the rusting parts on the outside.

Charlotte is a beautiful city, though, landmark or not.

I think it was tongue in cheek and I don't think you got the joke. They also compared last visit by a future saint. Did you really think they whole thing was serious? Some categories are, and some...well, some are not.

The entire thing looked serious to me since most of the categories were serious: politics, US senators, last major sporting event, airport, F500, biggest company, convention center, hotel rooms, largest hotel, and light rail. Last visit by a future saint isn't exactly relevant, but I seriously doubt that a religious town like Charlotte would joke about visits by JPII and Mother Teresa, two of the most loved religious figures in recent memory. If you're going to make something tongue in cheek then you do it in an obvious manner, not amongst categories that are very relevant. What you're saying doesn't make sense; the context isn't even appropriate for a joke. But hey, this IS the Observer we're talking about, so who knows.

The article was pathetic either way. I wish the Observer would stop posting crap unless they actually have some news to report on the subject. Honestly looks as if a few people have too much time on their hands, which may be why 20 of them got canned recently.

The DNC is taking it's sweet time with the decision, which is starting to get on my nerves. IMO, Cleveland makes the most sense politically. If a convention actually has an effect on a state's vote, Ohio would seal the deal for the dems. However, if Obama wants to continue his aggressive campaign approach, which worked well in 2008, then Charlotte may be his best bet. I just hope the decision comes soon so I can stop speculating.

Awesome, awesome, awesome news for Charlotte. This will put a new light onto our city... Would love to see a project or two green lit so it can get done before the convention. Romare-Bearden park anyone?

Speaking of which, what other projects do you guys think will be propelled from the DNC 2012?

Speaking of which, what other projects do you guys think will be propelled from the DNC 2012?

Brevard two-way conversion and streetscape seem a given, since the street is a direct link between the Convention Center and Arena. Maybe the east edge of those three blocks could also see some new storefronts. At a minimum, I'm thinking rehabbed spaces inside United Way's, Park It's and CATS' former offices. Ideally, some new construction on the parking lots as well, but we're talking only 18 months from now.

At the very least we should see cosmetic improvements to show off our best face.

Perhaps some popup retail during the event.

Also, if I owned residential or had space would seriously consider renting it out to conventioneers. You could clean up! Craigslist will be hoppin

Agreed! I'll place my bets on a large amount of popup retail (particularly vacant storefronts on Brevard). With a little luck some of the temporary stores will stick around and form the seeds of a permanent downtown retail district (anchored by H&M and an Apple store)

I knew it all along... :whistling: (joking).

I would love to see (and expect to see) some changes in the next two years and wouldn't be surprised to see Romare Bearden and First Ward move forward a lot quicker. I also expect this will greatly aid in the landing of some significant retail in city center. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this play a part in a number of other developments.

But none of that is what matters.

No matter what happens tomorrow, in 2012 or afterwards - Charlotte has already won. Cheers to the Queen City!

another possible fringe benefit: demand for uptown residential space (the Vue sure is empty)

The DNC will also be good cement for the uptown market. Particularly given its TV camera view proximity to the arena

Three car platforms on the existing Blue line along with early vehicle purchases for the extension? (assuming the fed foot the bill)

and more TVMs as well (since this is a Christmas list)

Like others here, Romare Bearden Park is one of the first things I thought of when I heard the news. Given the timetable, that would seem to be one of the most realistic possibilities. If they could get started pretty quickly, it would give them, inf effect, two growing seasons for the trees and plants to get established. Fortunately, the Sugar Creek Greenway, the Midtown - CPCC part, should be well completed by then, including Elizabeth Park. Adding Romare Bearden to that would really make a nice combination.

Archived