Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35,000 will just be delegates. It's expected that about 50,000 people total will travel to Charlotte for the convention. So the other 15,000 will be media, visitors, etc.

Charlotte is also supposed to get a $50 million federal grant to host the convention. I believe this will help cover among other things, security.

I would expect much more. There will be democrats all across the country wanting to see history made a second time. You have to factor in more people than just the media and delegates. Don't be surprised to see the figures go well beyond 50,000. The National Figure Skating Championships in Greensboro attracted over 110,000 people over the course of 9 days. (about the same numbers as the International Home Furnishings Market in High Point). It seems like to me we could expect to see numbers that high for the DNC in Charlotte. 30,000 to 50,000 seems a bit low to me. This is Barack Obama we are talking about here. We know what kind of crowds he can attract.

I googled Denver's benefits from the DNC briefly.

Convention business grew from the notoriety and there were some streetscape improvements.

Their City admin was also very busy trying to deal with hundreds of requests from activist groups. Apparently park space for all the encampments got very tight.

Denver already has much more greenspace than we do, will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

How long do you think it'll take the press to stop adding "N.C." after Charlotte in the dateline? :whistling:

I think some news organizations use the state moniker as a matter of policy no matter what city they are referring to. Of course in some cases, it's just because they don't yet believe enough people know where Charlotte is. So, I think it will continue to diminish, but I also think it will always be around in some cases.

I was living in Denver at the time of the convention in 2008 and just thought I'd share some things that I saw which we might see happen here as well. First was the police presence. I remember hearing that the city brought in an additional 1,500 officers from all over the state, and even from outside of Colorado. Altogether I think the police force topped out at 3,000. The police presence was felt everywhere downtown, and it was not uncommon to see riot police riding on running boards of SUVs around town. Check out THIS PICTURE to see what I mean.

Also, Obama was nominated at the Pepsi Center where the Nuggets play. He gave his acceptance speech to a packed stadium across the freeway at Invesco Field (home of the Broncos). Some 80,000 people were in attendance for that; I personally was not one of them, however we were in a bar downtown as were a ton of people to watch it live on TV. Practically every bar/restuarant was packed with people crowded around the TVs.

During his acceptance speech they did stop all light rail trains on the C and E lines which run next to the stadium, so I could see Charlotte stopping all trains past 3rd while the convention is actually going on.

I don't know if it will be the same for Obama's second nomination, but in Denver the 16th Street Mall was packed all day and late into the evening with convention goers. It will be interesting to see if the same number of merchandisers show up on the streets downtown Charlotte as in Denver. People were selling Obama everything! If you could fit his name or face on it, they were selling it.

There were a few smaller groups of young people who called themselves "anarchists" that faced off with police around town, but they were really non-events. A few people were arrested and the vast majority scattered when the cops showed up. Amazing what pepper spray can do. The funniest part is when talking to one of these "anarchists" he pulled out his Blackberry to take a picture. Undoubtably we will have some form of this group show up in Charlotte.

Most headlines I saw listed just the "Charlotte". I think one thing this convention will certainly do is get us on a first name basis with the world. That alone is worth tens times more than most of the marketing budgets spent on the city in the past.

Most Europeans that I speak to on my frequent trips there know Charlotte. They also know Charleston, S.C. They even know which city is the banking/international airport city and which is the home of Rhett Butler.The problem is that Americans either don't know both cities or they do but can't distinguish which is which.

^I feel most Americans are more apathetic about geography, or it's just out of sheer ignorance.

Both. Unfortunatley most Americans tend to only care about their small sphere of where they live. When I tell folks here in the UK I'm from North Carolina they immediately ask if I am from or near Raleigh. No slight toward Charlotte its just that in this area there a lot of family ties from the East Anglia region and pretty much the whole South east coast in colonial times. Certainly Charlotte has far reaching international ties that most of the nation does not realize. I'm not worried though in the coming years the spotlight will be on the QC. By the way I saw a tapestry of then Princess Charlotte of Mecklenberg on a tour of Buckingham Palace. No real connection to the political convention just thought it was cool.

Charlotte is pretty new, as ages of cities go. I know Charlotte is an old city. I am talking about the fact that Charlotte really exploded in growth in the last few decades. I was living in Ohio before moving to Charlotte in the early 80's. I moved because my significant other got transfered. I had never heard of Charlotte. I knew Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Wilmington. The only people who knew Charlotte were folks in the banking industry. Even then Charlotte was known for banking. My point being, it takes a while for a city to shed the addition of the state when written about. I grew up in Pittsburgh and still hear people call it Pittsburgh PA. Doesn't bother me. Slowly it will happen and Charlotte will stand on it's own without the NC. Hard for people to change.

^^^

I'm not too clear on NC cities history, but at one point Winston-Salem was the largest and influential in NC until Charlotte took that position. Charlotteans' feelings regarding the stigma of "Charlotte, NC" is due in part of Charlotte trying to be world-class city. You can't be a world-class if you think others still have to think of which state you're also located in.

^^^

I'm not too clear on NC cities history, but at one point Winston-Salem was the largest and influential in NC until Charlotte took that position. Charlotteans' feelings regarding the stigma of "Charlotte, NC" is due in part of Charlotte trying to be world-class city. You can't be a world-class if you think others still have to think of which state you're also located in.

True and Charlotte is not the only city. Everyone has heard of Fort Worth but the media still says Fort Worth, TX. Population wise, Fort Worth has about a hundred thousand more people than Charlotte. When you look at the past, yes the Triad cities were on top because traditional manufacturing drove North Carolina's economy back in the day and the Triad was the manufacturing hub. At one point Winston-Salem was the largest city in NC and at one point Greensboro was larger than Raleigh and was the second largest city in NC. Its pretty clear Charlotte has now left the pack and I don't think any other city will surpass Charlotte in population anytime soon. At least not in my lifetime. It use to be the "5 major cities" in NC and now its Charlotte and the "4 major cities" lol

I've said it before in other threads, but I really don't think its anything more than a name that sounds like other places that forces "NC" onto the end of Charlotte.

Charlotte - Charleston - Charleston - Charlottesville

Ft. Worth - Ft. Wayne - Ft. Collins

Columbia - Columbia - Columbia - Columbus - Columbus

Edit: In fact I'd say it would be worse for the media to say just Charlotte, and leave it up to people to gather to assume what state their talking about.

Charlotte is pretty new, as ages of cities go. I know Charlotte is an old city. I am talking about the fact that Charlotte really exploded in growth in the last few decades. I was living in Ohio before moving to Charlotte in the early 80's. I moved because my significant other got transfered. I had never heard of Charlotte. I knew Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Wilmington. The only people who knew Charlotte were folks in the banking industry. Even then Charlotte was known for banking. My point being, it takes a while for a city to shed the addition of the state when written about. I grew up in Pittsburgh and still hear people call it Pittsburgh PA. Doesn't bother me. Slowly it will happen and Charlotte will stand on it's own without the NC. Hard for people to change.

Pittsburgh is pretty close. I am surprised that most people didn't know Charlotte from driving to Myrtle Beach or Florida, etc. When I was in school here in Charlotte, we had to know the capitals and largest cities in each state and things for which the state was known. Seems schools have dumbed things down considerably. As I said before, Charlotte is well known in Europe and in the U.K. where I spend my summers. I believe that it is Americans that need to evaluate the public school system. But, who didn't know that? I agree with you. I suppose that banking to us is like steel was to Pittsburgh before football fame. Does that means that next year, the Panthers will be the new Steelers?

Pittsburgh is pretty close. I am surprised that most people didn't know Charlotte from driving to Myrtle Beach or Florida, etc. When I was in school here in Charlotte, we had to know the capitals and largest cities in each state and things for which the state was known. Seems schools have dumbed things down considerably. As I said before, Charlotte is well known in Europe and in the U.K. where I spend my summers. I believe that it is Americans that need to evaluate the public school system. But, who didn't know that? I agree with you. I suppose that banking to us is like steel was to Pittsburgh before football fame. Does that means that next year, the Panthers will be the new Steelers?

As being from Pittsburgh, I am part of the Steeler Nation. I know we are an obnoxiuos bunch, but sometimes, these are the things you hang onto. I love Charlotte and will be back for good in a few years. I hope the Panthers are better than the Steelers were this year and win the Superbowl. Of course if the Steelers are in it, I will remain part of the Steeler Nation.

Back in the early 80's, the Jersey shore and Virginia Beach were the beaches to go to. The route through West Virginia was awful. So, I really do not recall coming thru Charlotte at all. I think I95 was the easier route at the time.

I agree that our school systems are failing us. Knowledge of geographic locations are foriegn to the young. Anyhow, congratulations to Charlotte for winning the DNC Convention. Time for this squeaky clean city to add more polish and show themselves (boast a little) to the rest of the country and the world.

Edit: left off the world

I think there should be a centrally located DNC countdown clock. Or something to garner civic pride.

A city supported installation would be politically tricky. A nominating convention is as partisan as it gets.

There has been admirable unity among all the elected officials regardless of party.

I am a pretty partisan Democrat but would appreciate the impact of an RNC.

The local host committee will probably do promotional events to strengthen local interest when it gets closer.

They need thousands of volunteers already.

Now that we have all sobered up it seems clear that the DNC is unlikely to bring significant infrastructure improvements to town. However, the DNC does (I think) increases the probability of us receiving a chunk of the reallocated Florida HSR money. The image of active HSR construction during the convention may influence some decisions....

(disclaimer: I promised myself I would not let Ray LaHood toy with me again after the last round of reallocated HSR money)

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2011/02/16/florida-governor-rick-scott-rejects-funding-for-tampa-orlando-intercity-rail-project/

There is an article in the Observer today that talks about getting the parks built in time before the convention. Apparently, it's definitely being thought of, but we'd probably need someone to come in and help pay for it. Also, there is mention of a new hotel too. Anyone know where or what this one is?

There is an article in the Observer today that talks about getting the parks built in time before the convention. Apparently, it's definitely being thought of, but we'd probably need someone to come in and help pay for it. Also, there is mention of a new hotel too. Anyone know where or what this one is?

I think the hotel they alluded to is Hotel Sierra (at the end of Brevard). If I had to choose one project for them to "find money for" I would choose Brevard St. conversion. Romare Bearden Park will be great, but it is not in the core of the action (it could be used as a media staging area too - making it less noticeably desolate). Brevard is in the core of the city - an under developed couple of blocks in the middle of the action.

^ agreed about Brevard street. That's a plan that I'd hate to see fall by the wayside and this seems like the perfect opportunity to get the ball rolling. Are there specific plans for new retail buildings along Brevard yet? Some 3-6 story buildings COULD be finished and open in time. I also can't understand why those couple of storefronts at Brevard & 3rd have sat vacant for so long.

Are there any other projects that will be done or underway by the time of the convention just as a matter of coincidence? I was thinking that the large redevelopment at South/Euclid CHA site might be under construction then. Probably some of the Southend apartment and office projects that are on hold, and I'm crossing my fingers for that Southend hotel as well. Maybe the Levine building between the new UNCC building and lightrail path? I think it would be a good impression to have a crane or two up when the convention is here.

I think the hotel they alluded to is Hotel Sierra (at the end of Brevard). If I had to choose one project for them to "find money for" I would choose Brevard St. conversion. Romare Bearden Park will be great, but it is not in the core of the action (it could be used as a media staging area too - making it less noticeably desolate). Brevard is in the core of the city - an under developed couple of blocks in the middle of the action.

They actually say two hotel developers, so I took it as two new hotels possibly being built.

I also can't understand why those couple of storefronts at Brevard & 3rd have sat vacant for so long.

I blame the NSRR property across the street. This site is now the only full block of surface parking along the LYNX within Uptown. The parking is likely a long-term lease, and the RR is unlikely to sell. Rubbind salt in the wound, Brevard doesn't even have full sidewalks along this block. I can only hope the County's tax assessment went up on this highly underutilized block and that the City may be able to condemn for sidewalk as part of their streetscape project.

No.

Read this part one more time :)

And Tim Newman, chief executive of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, said at least two hotel developers are exploring the possibility of building uptown before the convention starts on Labor Day 2012.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/17/2068746/some-see-new-parks-hotels-pre.html#ixzz1EECM6fCY

I don't want to get too excited but I would be very very happy if 2 hotels came to fruition. Especially if they were on Brevard.

Archived