Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

• 2 months later...

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They released the road restrictions to vehicles and pedestrians today, and I have to say, it goes way above and beyond what I was expecting. Good thing I don't live at Tryon House anymore, as I wouldn't be allowed access to it for days!

I had wanted to maybe ride my bike up there and check things out, but it looks as if that will be impossible. I had no idea that conventions were this barricaded off. Also, with West Morehead and part of 277 being closed for a few days, our office might have to shut down, something we were not expecting.

http://www.charlotte...strictions.html (scroll down the right column for the maps)

I heard from someone in the know, that in the event of a hurricane on track for Tampa the RNC would be moved to Charlotte. They would move it here because we would be the only other city in the nation prepared to host a convention.

I would not want to be in charge of having to coordinate that!

I've been concerned about this for some time now. Charlotte should be bracing itself for "the perfect storm" of protesting for the DNC. Home to the largest american bank (bank of America) and larrst energy company (duke) ON TOP of having POTUS and company in town is going to bring the nut jobs out of the wood-work. I've got a buddy who works for CMPD that had an opportunity to go to Chicago for the G8 summit who simply told me he felt they were grossly unprepared. We could potentially be looking at DNC '68 type protesting. I hope it goes smoothly.

Yep.... Charlotte's yearning desire to eat at the adults table is about to come true.

We are about to be served up a BIG plate full. We'll see how it gets digested!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

While I'm here, more interesting stuff. If you are familiar with the Epicenter and Trade st, there is that ugly area near the base, under the train tracks that looks like an ever-present construction site. Well, they jazzed up all the pillars down there and slapped some snazzy super large DNC decals that actually look really good. I'm almost hoping they just leave them there. It "un-dull-ifies" the area and gives it some colour. ANyways, I like it.

Some announcements of "A-list acts" (if you will) have to started to trickle out... One of those, is a Foo Fighters show at the Fillmore for the "Rock the Vote" campaign the night before Obama's speech. The announcement of the show was made yesterday, tickets went on sale this morning at 10am. They were sold out at 10:02am. Granted, it's a ~2,000 person venue but they usually play arenas (they played at TWCA back in November). Unbelievable to me. I'm sure it's not the only event that probably sold out fast, but not sure I've seen anything like that before. I was logged on Ticketmaster's web site a few minutes before and struck out. Thankfully one of my buddies did manage to get two tickets (purchases were limited to 2 per person and you need to pick them up at will call with the CC in hand). So I will likely be going with him.

I heard from someone in the know, that in the event of a hurricane on track for Tampa the RNC would be moved to Charlotte. They would move it here because we would be the only other city in the nation prepared to host a convention.

Have you heard anything more, now that there is the possibility of tropical storm/hurricane Issac may aim directly at Florida??

Has anyone noticed the proliferation of new cameras, mostly over intersections, that have popped up in recent weeks? Not just uptown, look at the East/South intersection for an example. I also noticed today what look to be white sensors of some kind over many of the stoplights, at least on Tryon, in uptown. Anybody know what those are, and if the cameras are a temporary measure for the DNC? I can understand the precaution of course, and am just curious. Although I do hope that they come down after the convention since its somewhat eerie.

Has anyone noticed the proliferation of new cameras, mostly over intersections, that have popped up in recent weeks? Not just uptown, look at the East/South intersection for an example. I also noticed today what look to be white sensors of some kind over many of the stoplights, at least on Tryon, in uptown. Anybody know what those are, and if the cameras are a temporary measure for the DNC? I can understand the precaution of course, and am just curious. Although I do hope that they come down after the convention since its somewhat eerie.

The cameras are highly portable, some may be moved and some may not. Not sure about the white sensors, but the cameras are made to read and track license tags through the city. It's part of the Federal grant for DNC security and CMPD gets to keep them.

Just saw a little Secret Service advance work on Carson Blvd: two black Chevy Suburbans followed by a Presidential limo - complete with Presidential seal - followed by two more Suburbans. They turned from southbound South Blvd. onto Carson, then turned onto southbound S. Tryon St.

I know some of you care, so here you go..

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/27/crist-readies-democratic-convention-speech/

It's only a blog, but just states "Charlotte". Not "Charlotte, NC".

Frankly I don't give a hoot. They can call us "Charlotte, NC, USA, NA, EARTH" for all I care. But anyways, there it is. Just plain old Charlotte on it's own.

Archived