2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing against the woman. She may very well be a real achiever. However she has not proven herself to be anymore than what she is. That is she is the mayor of a 7000 person town she managed to get 48% of the election for governor of Alaska and honestly she is someone that McCain leers at while standing behind her. The fact that a 72 year old man picked her to stand by his side isn't a qualification.

There are two things that come to mind here from this conversation:

1. Our friends who support McCain claim this is a brilliant move on McCain's part to blunt the message that Obama gave to 38 million people on Thursday night. If his pick of Pulin was done for this reason, then he insults the country, his party, and Pulin and her family as well. The fact that he would squander such a decision on a political stunt puts into question McCain's judgment to lead the United States.

2. It also says that McCain and the GOP have no real agenda for bringing desperately needed change to America. The would rather have sideshows rather than tell us how they are going to reverse the damage of Bush/Cheney. Of course they have no plan for this.

Let's keep in mind this. The same people who are telling us that Pulin is good for the ticket are the same ones that told us the GW Bush would be good for the USA. I think that pretty much sums it up.

I have nothing against the woman. She may very well be a real achiever. However she has not proven herself to be anymore than what she is. That is she is the mayor of a 7000 person town she managed to get 48% of the election for governor of Alaska and honestly she is someone that McCain leers at while standing behind her. The fact that a 72 year old man picked her to stand by his side isn't a qualification.

There are two things that come to mind here from this conversation:

1. Our friends who support McCain claim this is a brilliant move on McCain's part to blunt the message that Obama gave to 38 million people on Thursday night. If his pick of Pulin was done for this reason, then he insults the country, his party, and Pulin and her family as well. The fact that he would squander such a decision on a political stunt puts into question McCain's judgment to lead the United States.

2. It also says that McCain and the GOP have no real agenda for bringing desperately needed change to America. The would rather have sideshows rather than tell us how they are going to reverse the damage of Bush/Cheney. Of course they have no plan for this.

Let's keep in mind this. The same people who are telling us that Pulin is good for the ticket are the same ones that told us the GW Bush would be good for the USA. I think that pretty much sums it up.

As someone who is somewhat left of center, I disagree with Palin on pretty much every issue. That said, I do find her personal story quite compelling and admirable, and I have felt that way since long before most Americans ever heard of her. She is one of very few conservative politicians I genuinely like on a personal level, if not a political one.

Because of this, I am not happy with McCain's decision to offer her this position, nor do I think she should have accepted it. For reasons that have already been amply discussed both here and in the media, I feel that this move is obviously a cheap stunt on McCain's part to blunt Obama's advantages. McCain doesn't know Palin well enough to determine whether she's up to the job of VP, and her hard conservative stances don't line up with the moderate image he likes to project. He only appointed her because he thinks she'll appeal to women, young people, and conservatives. However, I don't see her doing much to boost his numbers long term. I find it insulting to her that McCain would choose her for such superficial reasons.

Alaska is a conservative state. I and many other posters here might disagree with Palin on many matters, but she is a good fit for the people of her state, as her 90+% approval ratings demonstrate. She is certainly capable and deserving of a long and distinguished career in Alaskan politics, but by attaching herself at such a young age to what I believe will be a losing national campaign, she may be doing irreparable damage to her prospects.

^I do agree with you about Palin's story. She comes across as an everyday kind of woman who just happens to have the most powerful job in her state, and people are drawn to that (which is why Obama put such emphasis on his personal story during the DNC). Obama and Biden, and the Democratic establishment in general, need to ensure that they don't come across as sexist in any way whatsoever when dealing with Palin. That would turn her into a martyr for women and would hurt the Obama ticket.

Monsoon has mentioned this, and hopefully everyone knows he wasn't kidding: during Gov. Palin's acceptance speech, ol' Johnnie McCain was clearly gawking at her butt. My partner and I watched it together and we caught him staring at her butt three different times. And once it appears he was checking out her breasts as well!

This is really tacky, sleazy stuff........

Gov. Palin deserves better than to be leered at by a 72 year old geezer like McCain.

There is a big rumor on the internet now that Palin's youngest child is not her's but is in fact the child of her 17 year old daughter who got knocked up (remember presumably she was never taught about proper birth control) and then disappeared during the pregnancy. Palin then took the child as her own to cover it up. It is hard to imagine that a 43 year old woman would decide to take on a pregnancy at that age, knowing the risk to the child.

It isn't all that unusual for women in their 40's to try and have a child. My aunt, who is about Palin's age, and her husband recently tried but unfortunately, she had a miscarriage. There are definitely risks that go along with pregnancy at that age, such as Down's Syndrome.

Just two years ago Palin was mayor of a little hamlet in Alaska and now shes ready to Vice-President of the United States of America? People keep on saying that Palin has 90% approval rating as governor but what the republicans have not told you is that that approval rating of 90% has dropped to 67% in Alaska due to a scandal in which Palin is under a probe investigation for abuse of power. Palin fought corruption but she may very well be a part of the corruption despite her image of a "sweet hockey mom" that eats moose burgers. Obviously Alaskians know what going on up there and they now have their doubts about Palin. I think Palin could potentially become a liability for McCain once this unfolding drama in Alaska reaches the masses. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile it appears that republican Karl Rove is making the case that Palin is not ready to be VP

Is it me... or did John McCain pick Tina Fey as his running mate?

Someone's really got to notify NBC so they can reap that one... a plot on 30 Rock.. Tina on SNL as Palin, Jay Leno jokes...

Obviously John McCain has not vetted Sarah Palin. My prediction is that she will be a nightmare for the repbulicans as she faces being part of a corrupt cover-up. Its interesting that 87% of Alaskan polled thought Palin was lying in the state trooper case thats going on in Alaska. There are inconsistancies in her statements. This is an ethics fiasco. Consider the number of problems: 1. she allegedly abused her power as governor to fire an ex brother-in-law, 2. then she lied about excercising influence or even ever mentioning the affair, 3. then she fired a 2-decades-plus public servant apparently b/c he didn't want to unethically fire the trooper, and 4. then she lied about why she fired the public servant, claiming it had to do with alcohol issues. Talk about a nightmare for the republican ticket, forget about her not being qualified for the job.

This one is funny, one of Dobson's Focus on the Family's cronies asked for their followers to pray for rain during the DNC convention when it was in mile high stadium. How Christian of them? Specifically he wanted people to pray in great numbers for rain of "biblical proportions" to occur just before Obama's speech. He also said that it was God's decision to determine if it should happen however and that he would be OK with whatever God decided.

As we all know Obama's speech went off without a hitch, gave an excellent message and was watched by 10s of millions. Now however hurricane Gustav threats to bring rains and destruction of "biblical proportions" to the USA and will disrupt the GOP convention. I wonder what Dobson's group has to say about this? LOL

(and I won't even get into the part about how religious zealotry has cause most of the problems in this country)

Has the GOP changed? I don't think so.

Obama has proven himself by creating an organization that effectively neutralized one of the most power political machines in the country and got almost 19,000,000 votes in the process. He did this over a period as long as Palin has been in office. If that isn't executive experience I don't know what its. This commentary BTW comes from Joe Scarborough, a Republican, on MSNBC who doubts her credentials for this office.

In comparison, Palin's credentials are beauty queen, mayor of a town of 7,000, and she managed to score a little less than 112,000 votes in the AK election for governor in 2006. And this was even a majority of the vote either. Alaska has fewer residents than most mid sized cities in the USA. The Mayor of Charlotte, I would say, has had more to deal with.

If you are going to lecture on facts, then this is what they are. It can be spun as something greater "executive experience", but I rather have Obama facing the Russian generals than this lady. The GOP will try to spin this like you have but its basically a distraction from the fact they can't run on any of the issues.

The "brilliant strategy" in picking Palin was this. McCain had really wanted Lieberman for the job as did his confidant senator Lindsay Graham of SC. Both felt that Lieberman would have been best qualified for the job and it would have shown that McCain was gutsy enough to have made a move like this. It would be a good move and a statement to have picked the DNC VP candidate of 2000 for the job. McCain, also a loser in the 2000 race, would have made the statement that he was indeed doing something different, reaching across the isle and might be turning a new page in America.

However the religious nutcases vetoed that move because Lieberman is a Jew and is not against abortion. So McCain went with Palin to appease them. He never met the woman, had one interview, and then agreed to put her on the ticket. If not there was the threat of the religious vote, and hence the election. It's the same reason that Mitt Romney was not picked and why last years presumptive Rudy Giuliani got crush in the GOP primary. So in essence McCain didn't hold to his own convictions when it came to his VP pick. He caved to a special interest.

I said in 2006 the GOP was left with nothing but Dixiecrats and the Christian religious extremists. This pretty much proves it. It will be more of the same if they are elected but fortunately it seems that most of America has figured this out.

I haven't seen this on any official reports (like the AP) lately but I have heard that the bulk of the GOP's convention activites are suspended until further notice due to Gustav.

They will meet on Monday, but only to take care of some official business, like receiving the report of the Credentials Committee, establishing a quorum, and electing officials. The rest of the activities, like the speeches, will be suspended until further notice.

I'll report more once more info comes out.

EDIT: Fox News confirms it.

The Republican National Convention has suspended all but the most necessary activities to constitute a convention Monday and then will adjourn until further notice, John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee announced Sunday.

No evening session will be called and no speakers will offer speeches on Monday night.

This one is funny, one of Dobson's Focus on the Family's cronies asked for their followers to pray for rain during the DNC convention when it was in mile high stadium. How Christian of them? Specifically he wanted people to pray in great numbers for rain of "biblical proportions" to occur just before Obama's speech. He also said that it was God's decision to determine if it should happen however and that he would be OK with whatever God decided.

As we all know Obama's speech went off without a hitch, gave an excellent message and was watched by 10s of millions. Now however hurricane Gustav threats to bring rains and destruction of "biblical proportions" to the USA and will disrupt the GOP convention. I wonder what Dobson's group has to say about this? LOL

(and I won't even get into the part about how religious zealotry has cause most of the problems in this country)

Has the GOP changed? I don't think so.

">

For your amusement: http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/8/31/94510/3773

Various quotes from religious conservatives blogs regarding the pick of Palin, as essentially a bad idea because her leaving the home and her family to become VP is a slap in the face against families and God's will. Throw in some misogynistic comments along the way based on Bible verses.

And then there's this embarrassment, which was best summed up by someone on another msg board I frequent:

Not only did she travel for work, her water broke in Dallas, she gave a speech, she hopped a plane to Alaska, had a layover in Seattle, then flew to Alaska, then drove an hour from Anchorage to Wasilla to deliver the baby. Eight or more hours passed between her water breaking and her going to the hospital to deliver her child. A child she KNEW had Down's Syndrome.

I think McCain would have been much better served and better off if he had gone with his gut and taken Lieberman. If he had done that people would be talking about his plans and platform instead of focusing exclusively on his VP. Note the same isn't going on with Obama's pick of Biden.

McCain uses Palin as a token. Well here you have it folks. We now know that the sole reason for McCain picking Palin was to lure angry Clinton voters. Quote from FOX News

"Sources close to McCain told FOXNews.com on condition of anonymity that the campaign hopes to capture former Clinton supporters still disheartened over her loss to Barack Obama. But while Palin is an anti-abortion Republican, Clinton is an abortion-rights supporting Democrat"

What wreckless judgement to put the country in further economic jeopordy by playing political games with the presidency. He picked Palin like some john that picks up a hooker off the street and he didnt use protection

Archived