2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm gonna be the party pooper here apparently, on the surface it is light and fun, but also can't help but notice the undercurrents of a hip-hop parody or something. Maybe that's the point, but the makers of this didn't also accidentally put Hillary's head on a black body and Obama's on a white body. I could be reading too much into it but it's noticeable.

Obama and I are about the same age and I spent the first few years attending segregated public school here in the USA. By segregated, Blacks could not attend them simply because they were Black. They had to go do a different school just for them. This was put forth by the White establishment at the time. Believe me when I tell you that if Obama had been in my school district he would have been attending the school for Blacks because he would have been classified as being Black. And we don't even want to go to what was said about White women who had Black husbands in those days and their offspring. It was awful. When Obama and I were kids, such marriages were even illegal in places like Virginia.

The fact that now, 4 decades later, such a person can claim the nomination for the presidency of the United States is a historic event. Whether he actually calls himself African American or not is irrelevant because we all know what this really means. If you guys don't think this is a historic event, that of course is your right, but I would suggest that you study a little more modern history before you make that call.

^I don't disagree with you at all. This is why if someone wants to call himself African American they can. Most people don't know their own complete ancestry let alone that of others. BTW, the term African American is not an official scientific designation of human race, since you brought up science, so it's really a moot point anyway.

BTW this is off-topic to this discussion.

Back to the discussion of the political race.....

If any of you saw Obama's speech and the setting it was in you will understand when I say the GOP probably regrets scheduling their convention directly after this one. Even arch conservative Pat Buchanan said this was the greatest political speech that he has ever seen. (and he has seen many) The McCain campaign apparently didn't know how to respond to it as they released a pretty short nebulous response to what Obama had to say. This is a sign of a badly organized campaign.

I wish I could get a photo of the aerial of mile high stadium of 84,000 people who came to hear what Obama had to say.

Without a doubt this is the greatest speech Obama has delivered. He had emotion, he connected and he used the Bill Clinton check list strategy that Bill used in 1992. There is a movement going on that nothing will stop. Millions a new registered democrats in support of Obama. The African-American vote this November will break all records since black people were allowed to vote. There is no way this election is going to be like 2000 and 2004. Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States.

The news is saying this constantly and so is everyone else, but no - he is perfectly biracial, half black, half white. End of story. If we insist on calling him an African American based on the fact he is half black then we can and should be equally referring to him as "white".

The reason we don't is because race is a largely a social construct. He's got more melanin in his skin than many Blacks I know that are the progeny of a Black mother and Black father. Furthermore, it's obvious that he's much more in touch with his African side than his white side (married a "sistah," attended a Black church, worked in the 'hood, etc.). Technically (biologically), we can call him biracial. To me, and to most others, he's solidly Black from the standpoint that matters, which is socially. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The speech was wonderful, but it was the total package that did it for me. The entire thing was just simply indescribable. That crowd just looked like America, and that couldn't have been lost on anyone that was watching. I don't think there's anything the McCain camp could say that would diminish such a historic, awesome moment for this nation.

This is the first time I've ever felt so strongly about a candidate. In fact, I feel so confident that Obama would be a phenomonal president - and at the same time, feel so negatively about McCain - that I went out two days ago and registered to vote for the first time. Let me tell you, after tonight's speech I feel even more confident in my decision to back Obama. I will be there Nov. 4th with a smile on my face to give him my vote. And to be honest, I think that the presidental race really isn't all that close. I think the media is trying to paint it that way to garner ratings. I would also like to plea with anyone who is reading this who isn't registered yet (namely young people like me) to go out and register and back your candidate. Regestration is easy. Just google "register to vote in *insert your city's name here*" and most city web sites let you download the PDF file to fill out and mail. Presto!

Also, does anyone else think that Joe Biden will be a good champion in the white house for public transit? He is an avid rider of his city's local light rail. Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

This is the first time I've ever felt so strongly about a candidate. In fact, I feel so confident that Obama would be a phenomonal president - and at the same time, feel so negatively about McCain - that I went out two days ago and registered to vote for the first time. Let me tell you, after tonight's speech I feel even more confident in my decision to back Obama. I will be there Nov. 4th with a smile on my face to give him my vote. And to be honest, I think that the presidental race really isn't all that close. I think the media is trying to paint it that way to garner ratings. I would also like to plea with anyone who is reading this who isn't registered yet (namely young people like me) to go out and register and back your candidate. Regestration is easy. Just google "register to vote in *insert your city's name here*" and most city web sites let you download the PDF file to fill out and mail. Presto!

Also, does anyone else think that Joe Biden will be a good champion in the white house for public transit? He is an avid rider of his city's local light rail. Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

i just rec'd this in an email from a friend...would love for it to be true...

A Republican source confirms that John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate. Campaign officials, however, remain mum this morning. Latest developments:

http://link.chicagotribune.com/r/5FXEVW/Y8...GS1T/9H87V/6C/t

I guess if he were choosing her it would be to enhance the 'issue' of drilling in ANWAR?

i don't know this person, but here is what the email said about her...*I hope this is true.. She's got issues with firing of state troopers and pipe line stuff in Alaska..**

They were speculation on this choice earlier in the day, and Scarborough and Buchanan both said that someone that has been in office less than 1.5 years just isn't going to work. It diffuses any claims that McCain has made against Obama about in-experience. On the other hand, it is a roll of the dice because they know they can't win by going after the 2004 base which is much much smaller now. It's a gamble and McCain has a very small window to take advantage of it.

Ironically enough, the GOP finds itself in the position of having to consider changing the date of their primary because Bush is supposed to be on the stage that Hurricane Gustav is projected to hit New Orleans. A reminder they don't want to come back up.

Might as well get this over with: like Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, was Gov. Palin chosen as McCain's running mate because she possesses the XX chromosome? Why else would such an unknown person be chosen as VP contender?

This isn't really unusual for Republican presidential contenders. In 1968, Richard Nixon chose unknown Maryland governor Spiro Agnew as his running mate. Even after 40 years, the reason "to appeal to border state voters" makes absolutely no sense to me. Nixon basically held Agnew in contempt and rarely let him in the White House.

And who can forget George H.W.Bush's choice of unknown Sen. Dan Quayle in 1988? Young, unknown and goofy as all get out, Quayle ended up being a national joke. One is left wondering if Quayle's filthy rich grandfather set up a secret Swiss bank account for H.W.Bush in return for putting his silly grandson on the ticket......and yes I know I'm conspiratorial minded.:) especially when it comes to the Bush family. Why else did Bush put the Indiana senator on the ticket. Indiana was already in his back pocket.

Alaska is already in McCain's pocket. It'll be fascinating to find out the real reason Johnnie McCain put Palin on the ticket....but it might end up that her gender was the primary reason.

It'll be fascinating to find out the real reason Johnnie McCain put Palin on the ticket....but it might end up that her gender was the primary reason.

"might?" This is going to be hilarious. It's almost as if McCain needed an escape plan and figured Palin was the best choice to make that happen. Let the amusement begin as we watch McCain fumble even greater into absurdity.

McCain is patronizing women. Alot of women will be upset about that. They wanted Hillary, not just any woman. But this is a bizar pick for McCain and he is sure to lose quite a few votes from his conservative base.

But McCain kinda wanted to take the luster out of Obama's canidacy as him being THE ONE making history.

McCain just took away his biggest argument about Obama's experience. McCain has nothing else to run on LOL. McCain already has one foot in the grave and if something happens to him, She would be president. McCain is underestimating not only Obama but hes understimating women.

Archived