Developer proposes office tower near Lake Eola

sunshine

• 1 month later...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sad moment today as the "Eola 5" began significant deconstruction this week and it became painfully apparent today. Since I'm not old enough to remember the houses ever not being there, and I suppose because I walk past them so often, I felt their loss even more keenly than some of our other downtown treasures. Heaven knows Eola needs more room, but I'm not sure this is how I would have done it. A few protesters held vigil for a  bit but then headed over to Publix for the tomato picking protest. A busy Saturday for our downtown activists!

I completely agree, and I'd like to add to your list: 4) The property owners had the right to build whatever they wanted on that lot (i.e. a monstrosity of an office building) but instead chose to sell the property to the city.

The final result is the lesser of two evils and at least one of the homes will be saved for use as a park office.

• 1 month later...

I walked through the park today on my way home today - perfect weather. I was startled to see one of these houses already leveled.  These will probably be some of the last photos of the remaining structures.

8529032555_b1af9db7b6_c.jpg

8530143276_511cd8d589_c.jpg

8530142256_f7d177550e_c.jpg

8530142790_c93602a2d4_c.jpg

The empty lot where the fifth house stood, right at the corner of Eola and Washington.

• 1 month later...

I walked through the park yesterday during the Spring Fiesta, and it looks like all of the houses are down to bare dirt.  They have also taken out the huge oak that was on the north side of the existing lawn/park space.  I didn't take any photos, but this did a lot to change the character of that nice shady area.  Hopefully they'll conserve all of the trees they can for this project - it's a 60+ year investment to get a nice live oak!

I did too - the thing that stuck out was how it will potentially connect the farmers market area with the playground/Washington area without having to go over the bridge.

Are there plans for this area besides open space?

It looks like they are trying to salvage a garage and a concrete fence on the site.  Despite what space it may offer, it looks ghetto.  I think they also need to remove the powerlines and utilities going to the salvaged house.

• 2 months later...

Good progress is being made on the expansion of Lake Eola park.  I am happy to see the tied the new parcel seamlessly into the farmer's market/international bridge area and removed the fence in between.  This make the area look huge.  They have added nice wide sidewalks along Washington and Eola as well as another pathway bisecting the parcel.

gallery_19336_66_645349.jpg

gallery_19336_66_1144495.jpg

Maybe a silly question but why keep that end of Washington St? Cut it off at Eola Dr. I'm OK with a large walkway...one that a service/emergency vehicle could drive down if need be, but a road into the park feels odd? The only thing on the street is the park rangers office and I hardly think that they need to cut into the park with a street for that. Thoughts? Also it's the only street that goes into the park/block with the exception of the driveway/roundabout on Osceola. 

Maybe a silly question but why keep that end of Washington St? Cut it off at Eola Dr. I'm OK with a large walkway...one that a service/emergency vehicle could drive down if need be, but a road into the park feels odd? The only thing on the street is the park rangers office and I hardly think that they need to cut into the park with a street for that. Thoughts? Also it's the only street that goes into the park/block with the exception of the driveway/roundabout on Osceola. 

That road definitely needs to go.

I thought the same thing...no money to pay to remove it...except when I was over there it was all torn up and they were pouring new curbs! It's going to be really bad if they put asfalt down instead of brick. I think they could move the trash bin if need be :) And event unloading and loading might be needed but they can keep it a path that they could drive down if need be...I think they have that type of setup by the amphitheater. 

I can't believe that road is staying, and furthermore the last remaining house just looks out of place. I would have preferred for all of it to go and have a nice open look with more grass.

Not me.

I'm glad the old brick street & the old stucco house are staying.

I think they both add character to the area.

Archived