Developer proposes office tower near Lake Eola

sunshine

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Provided they will really replace this with open greenspace I am all for the removal/destruction of the old homes. I have always enjoyed walking by them, however this is a trade-off that I think benefits downtown the most. That's just my opinion.

@praha, I completely agree with you regarding 512.Each time I run/walk past it, I envision a cozy destination restaurant with a patio out front and back. The way that portion of Lake Eola hugs the side of the property begs to be a dining space. Something like a Hillstone brand would do well there.

@praha, I completely agree with you regarding 512.Each time I run/walk past it, I envision a cozy destination restaurant with a patio out front and back. The way that portion of Lake Eola hugs the side of the property begs to be a dining space. Something like a Hillstone brand would do well there.

I like that idea, just not for a chain.

Hate to see old houses go by the wayside. Optimistic that someone might pick one up (quite literally, in this case). Although, it seems the city could recoup some of its exspenses by hanging to one or two of them (use for offices, or rent out for meetings, weddings, events, etc.).

Are there any other areas around the park that might one day be turned into additional greenspace? Or is the last tangible parcel?

Hate to see old houses go by the wayside. Optimistic that someone might pick one up (quite literally, in this case). Although, it seems the city could recoup some of its exspenses by hanging to one or two of them (use for offices, or rent out for meetings, weddings, events, etc.).

Are there any other areas around the park that might one day be turned into additional greenspace? Or is the last tangible parcel?

There is the old Masonic Lodge and the house adjoining it, both of which have some historical significance but not in great repair at the moment. There is a non-descript 2-story retail/office building on the corner of late 50s/early 60s vintage. Next to it is the Rosalind Club. There is also the surface parking area adjoining Fifth Third. Of these, all could potentially be converted to green space with Buddy as mayor (given his lack of interest in preservation) except the Rosalind Club (those ladies, most of whom have access to powerful FFO's in town, would start an upscale war). There are also two currently empty lots across the street on Eola Drive. Bel Fontaine, a late 50's 12-unit condo complex, could probably be purchased as well. None of this would be inexpensive and I don't think the city's finances are likely to make it happen anytime soon.

.... Although, it seems the city could recoup some of its exspenses by hanging to one or two of them (use for offices, or rent out for meetings, weddings, events, etc.)...

I spoke with one of our city commissioners last night and the biggest problem with keeping any of the houses is the expense to make them ADA compliant. At best we could keep 512 for park office use, but I would hope that it would not need to have road access.

I also discussed if there was any opportunity for a community garden, and we thought maybe there would be space to honor John Raleigh Mott, 1946 Nobel Peace Prize Winner, who lived at 528 E Washington Street.

I spoke with one of our city commissioners last night and the biggest problem with keeping any of the houses is the expense to make them ADA compliant. At best we could keep 512 for park office use, but I would hope that it would not need to have road access.

I also discussed if there was any opportunity for a community garden, and we thought maybe there would be space to honor John Raleigh Mott, 1946 Nobel Peace Prize Winner, who lived at 528 E Washington Street.

An excellent idea ( it's rather sad how few historical markers there are around downtown to note things like this). When it first came up about Mott, we were all a bit disappointed that his house was one of the least distinguished of the group. *sigh*

I like that idea, just not for a chain.

Sadly, chains are what seem to do well in Orlando. I agree that I'd rather see a smaller, independent restaurant go in. However, as mentioned, I'm not opposed to a familiar and quality "destination" restaurant going in there. Some local restauranteurs just fall short (e.g., Prickly Pear and Nick's Italian Kitchen) of the return service mark.

• 1 month later...

Wait - someone is building an office tower in Lake Eola Park?

Eola Capital threw up a trial balloon a couple of years ago to replaces the houses on E Washington across from the Eola playground with a highrise which would served as their headquarters among other things. That started a grassroots efforts to stop the tower and save the houses and/or use the space for expanding the park. We won and the city is currently deciding which houses to move/demolish and whether to close the street once that's done, thus expanding the park. After Buddy's fiasco with the Jaymont block we recently noted on another thread, he stayed on the side of the angels this time.

Eola Capital threw up a trial balloon a couple of years ago to replaces the houses on E Washington across from the Eola playground with a highrise which would serve as their headquarters among other things. That started a grassroots efforts to stop the tower and save the houses and/or use the space for expanding the park. We won and the city is currently deciding which houses to move/demolish and whether to close the street once that's done, thus expanding the park. After Buddy's fiasco with the Jaymont block we recently noted on another thread, he stayed on the side of the angels this time.

• 1 month later...

Eola Capital threw up a trial balloon a couple of years ago to replaces the houses on E Washington across from the Eola playground with a highrise which would served as their headquarters among other things. That started a grassroots efforts to stop the tower and save the houses and/or use the space for expanding the park. We won and the city is currently deciding which houses to move/demolish and whether to close the street once that's done, thus expanding the park. After Buddy's fiasco with the Jaymont block we recently noted on another thread, he stayed on the side of the angels this time.

I was hoping for the buildings :/

Archived