SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Demolition has begun at Simpson lighting.

Foundations are being poured for Southline (but no concrete work at Publix yet)

LOTS of excavation underway at Camden and West

Colonial still creeps along (although the corner nearest Marsh rd appears to be complete)

Demolition has begun at Simpson lighting.

Foundations are being poured for Southline (but no concrete work at Publix yet)

LOTS of excavation underway at Camden and West

Colonial still creeps along (although the corner nearest Marsh rd appears to be complete)

It really is quite amazing how slow Colonial has been progressing. I feel like it hasn't changed much since July.

I drove by Colonial this afternoon and noticed lights were lit on the southern portion.  Pretty sure the southern 1/3 (next to Pepsi) is completely done and now open.  Sorry, no pics.  

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvb3JpZ2luYWwvM0FlU1guanBnFNAKFIoHABYAEgA&s=PITv9pY2X8tXrxrB-MDDSslJeGlPzT-tck06mE8_iQY

Kitchens look great.

I'm happy with the 3-4 townhome projects around SouthEnd. These are the kind of projects this neighborhood really needs. We could use a coupled dozen more.

Edited by Guest

Over the last week, I've driven down Remount past all the new apartment construction and noticed that the 3 Silos are lit up various colors at night (looks to be from the ground level pointing up -- red, blue, green, etc)... Anyone see this? Is this to be a permanent fixture? It actually looks pretty cool. 

Over the last week, I've driven down Remount past all the new apartment construction and noticed that the 3 Silos are lit up various colors at night (looks to be from the ground level pointing up -- red, blue, green, etc)... Anyone see this? Is this to be a permanent fixture? It actually looks pretty cool. 

yes they are permanent and they change colors randomly as well. 

Seen it and yes, to my understanding it is permanent.  They also finally filled the pool at Silos.  And I'm PRETTY DANG SURE THEY'VE GOT A BOCCIE BALL COURT!  lucky.

yep that sure is a bocce ball court. waiting for them to actually open up the pool area. it is still closed for now. 

I figured the tenants in those two shopping centers would look quite different once all of the apartments opened up but didn't think they'd bulldoze and am certainly surprised that there isn't a place for Healthy Home Market - great store and was a "stealth" place for high demand craft beer purchases.  I wonder when Marsh will redevelop the apartments behind the stores?

I suspect there is some factor that Marsh thinks Publix will severely weaken Healthy Home Market in this location, so they didn't want to take the risk of building around them.   But I also wonder if this publicly-traded requirement is from the banks as part of the sad new world of strict underwriting standards. 

In my view, the shopping center was really emblematic of the earliest time of auto-centric development, being neither good for pedestrians or auto-drivers.    I just hope that technically being in Sedgefield rather than SouthEnd prevents the land from having the better TOD standards. 

I have a hard time considering it gentrification for the high price hippie grocer to be closing so that the land can be densified.  It is a shame, no question, but this was inevitable like what happened to Reids.   Let's hope they parlay that into a NoDa store, which has always seemed more their demographic. 

I'm pretty sure that their location so close to New Bern Station keeps them in the TOD zoning. I think these plans are still valid?

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/areaplanning/transitstationareaplans/southcorridor/pages/new%20bern.aspx

They currently have B-2 zoning, so it's likely that the only thing the city will require will be to have the buildings up on the road with the parking behind. 

Not renewing Healthy Home Market was in all likelihood primarily due to the fact that they don't pay a lot of rent, which is why all of their locations are where they are. They are a single digit rent payer, so it wouldn't make sense to scrape the center and rebuild for $7/sf rent. 

Per CBJ, sounds like Marsh may include some of the apartment land (which is substantial in size) in the redevelopment. This also does not include the part of the shopping center south of Elmhurst across from the Pepsi warehouse. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/11/marsh-properties-planning-sedgefield.html

Regarding Publix, I found this advertisement for available retail space for the 'Shops At Southline' with 3 retail spaces available, the 2 largest fronting South Blvd.

I thought there would have been at least 4 spaces available; no doubt Marsh is seeing near-term opportunity with their Sedgefield property right down the street.

Side thought, I wonder if this is how the Scaleybark project will eventually come to fruition as organic-development eventually creeps that far down South Blvd.

• Like 1

Regarding Publix, I found this advertisement for available retail space for the 'Shops At Southline' with 3 retail spaces available, the 2 largest fronting South Blvd.

I thought there would have been at least 4 spaces available; no doubt Marsh is seeing near-term opportunity with their Sedgefield property right down the street.

Side thought, I wonder if this is how the Scaleybark project will eventually come to fruition as organic-development eventually creeps that far down South Blvd.

Flyer is missing 330 W. Tremont, Camden Gallery, Faison, Quarters SouthEnd, Park and Kingston and countless others. Also the Trolley no longer runs... Who created these maps... Accuracy will further help sell these spaces.

As far as there only being 3 spaces, it was always 3 spaces plus a Publix Cooking school. It seems they dropped the cooking school (or found a place within publix itself) and enlarged the retail spaces. This is going to be a very active part of town once everything is finished.

Edited by Guest