SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

New three story 15,000 SqFt office building going up on Dunavant, called Dunavant Place. Link to pdf flyer - http://nebula.wsimg.com/5306205901fcd11d3a03e6412b54ef42?AccessKeyId=A00BEEE47D3FD7C84295&disposition=0

Looks relatively attractive.  I still wish there was no side yard parking like the proposed office building on South, but this is still a decent first step in creating a more urban streetscape.

The lack of available, Class-A space in SouthPark might spur infill development in urban areas such as South End, Ligon says.

“We are seeing a dramatic increase in population from an affluent new resident class occupying the apartments along the light-rail line,” he says. “That is going to drive tremendous market demand for Class-A retail.

“I foresee Camden Road becoming the urban-shop district for Charlotte in the future, catalyzed by the population boom from apartment development along the light rail.”

Interesting... Hopefully they are right. This is why we are seeing the Home Economist Shopping Center go the way of old yeller.

A few ramblings about being in SouthEnd this weekend. 

• Faison's elevator shaft is almost topped out and it towers over everything in that part of the neighborhood including 1225 South Church, I saw it from upclose and from the ramp to Bank Of America Stadium. Retail space is more or less confirmed by the large concrete box inset into the building.

• Camden Southline and Publix are completely going to transform the neighborhood. The Parking Deck is going to be hideous from the south, but the building will have nice scale. Publix's subterranean parking deck is dug two floors into the ground. 

• Euclid Towns are done and look decent. SouthEnd could use more townhome projects like what is going on in dilworth.

• The small boutique apartments on Catherine are framed up to 3 floors.

• Junction is a disaster. The Buildings appear to be decent quality, and its an escape from the usual Urbana Designed SouthEnd Crap, but Garden Apartments are a waste for this land.

• Silos are okay, Nice to ride down Poindexter and have all that density around you. Just perplexing to look at what is on the other side of the street on Youngblood. Hopefully SouthEnd can expand further west somehow.

• Its absolutely depressing that Healthy Home Market is going away, what a great store. All in the name of progress, I suppose.

• SouthEnd has a long way to go for me. It feels so disjointed, we need to figure out some way to tie the rest of the neighborhood in with Camden and make it  more cohesive. These mega apartment projects just seem PLOPPED into Southend without much regard for the surroundings. Its great we are density but Density for Density's sake is going to come back and haunt us. Need to fix this before we destroy what could have been a great neighborhood. Need to get a masterplan adopted, implemented and enforced ASAP!!!!!

• Walked from Nan & Byrons to All American Pub, and it still feels a bit uncomfortable at night, despite this being one of the more urban sections of town. Need more lighting, more pedestrian scale, and more people.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, was a little naive recently about walking everywhere, but even when using the rail, the short walk from New Bern station to Triple C [for example] can be unsafe feeling.

Its very disappointing. I plan on moving back to Charlotte one day, and I plan to continue the lifestyle I lead in NYC. Looks like i'll have to wait years to come back to the South.

^ I understand what you all are saying and I shared that feeling the first few times I walked along the rail trail after dark. However, I now walk in the area between New Bern and Bland frequently after dark (sometimes with impaired judgement). Drunk or sober, it is completely comfortable for me now.

Additional 'eyes on the street' from Camden / West will be a big improvement to the vibe.

I agree, I've walked/biked the trail several times late (sometimes quite late) and never felt unsafe. 

I guess I'm just used to the comfort of being surrounded by 1000s of people at all times. LOL

I've walked the entirety of this area at different times prior, and never felt unsafe, until I guess I just got "lucky" finally, until then I was ignorant of some of the existing neighborhoods just west of the line - its one thing walking to NODA fully aware of what you might be up against, another to be completely surprised by large groups of aggressive youths.  That said, might have just been a one-off situation.

I've walked the entirety of this area at different times prior, and never felt unsafe, until I guess I just got "lucky" finally, until then I was ignorant of some of the existing neighborhoods just west of the line - its one thing walking to NODA fully aware of what you might be up against, another to be completely surprised by large groups of aggressive youths.  That said, might have just been a one-off situation.

Its always the aggressive youths. Kids are crazy, hormones are scary things. I have no problem with sketchtastic adults usually, as I'm bigger than 9 outta 10 of them, but groups of teens, thats another story. 

There is a thing going around in Jersey City where kids randomly try to knock out strangers by surprise punching them in the face, a couple of people have died. 

Its always the aggressive youths. Kids are crazy, hormones are scary things. I have no problem with sketchtastic adults usually, as I'm bigger than 9 outta 10 of them, but groups of teens, thats another story. 

There is a thing going around in Jersey City where kids randomly try to knock out strangers by surprise punching them in the face, a couple of people have died. 

This is happening in other places as well. It's been all over the news for a couple of weeks now. The only reason I am commenting is so people don't just think of it as a Jersey thing. Everyone should be aware of their surroundings...even here.

This is happening in other places as well. It's been all over the news for a couple of weeks now. The only reason I am commenting is so people don't just think of it as a Jersey thing. Everyone should be aware of their surroundings...even here.

Yes but please take it all with a grain of salt, as this is the media fear-mongering storm of the moment. There are a number of radical right wing talk hosts who saw an opportunity to foment some racially-motivated outrage and they're keeping the conversation going well past its basis in reality.

To get back on topic, I feel pretty safe in the areas hugging the lightrail line at this point, but it is a very harsh transition as you approach the housing along Tryon. With all the apartments and offices slated for the area though, there will be a lot more eyes and feet on the street soon enough. 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

The "Happy" Mullen State Farm agency has moved out of the street-front space on Summit beside Escape Salon near Dharma Lounge. Hoping that this space becomes a boutique or something. The last thing SouthEnd needs is another salon or law office, and this would be a great spot for street-front retail.

The "Happy" Mullen State Farm agency has moved out of the street-front space on Summit beside Escape Salon near Dharma Lounge. Hoping that this space becomes a boutique or something. The last thing SouthEnd needs is another salon or law office, and this would be a great spot for street-front retail.

Definitely, especially since we've seen a little more take than give IMO with retail developments in what should be the most retail-supportive spot in southend. The trading of Niche for a women's boutique that never seems to have anyone in it, the loss of Modern Lighting and Canine Cafe for construction offices (I'm super bitter over that one still), trading of American Apparel for a fabric store, etc. However we have recently gotten a shoe and underwear store in a slightly more difficult spot on the other side of the building, and Boulevard was a great addition, so maybe there is some momentum forming. 

tbf, modern fabrics is a great store and a pretty unique draw.

Yeah, I agree, I just see it as a net loss since it used to be like 2 blocks away and now there's no AA. If that and Niche were still around with the other new options nearby, we could have a pretty good little critical mass of clothing boutiques that fit the area.

Sorry just realized this should be in Southend Living thread anyway, dunno if someone wants to move it. 

Modern Fabrics is pretty cool. I just wish they'd take down the remnants of the American Apparel sign. Anyone that knows AA knows what used to be there because of the signs, and it just reminds me of a failed store. Besides, it am sure that they don't know what "vertically integrated manufacturing" is and many of the fabrics are not "American" and certainly aren't "manufactured in downtown." All they did was remove the words "apparel" and "LA" from the signs. Seems cheap and shoddy to me.

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/blu-ecigs-relocating-to-south-end.html

E-cigs seem pretty "Southendy" to me.  1100 South Tryon is a visible location and I'd like to see a good sized logo on the building.  Anyone know if occupancy of one floor of this building will get a company logo on the face?

looks like 1100 was given the ole' Southendification Redesign that we all loath so much.

BEFORE

cambridge-charlotte2.jpga-four-story-apartment-Lucy-Wei-Jing-22.

AFTER

Like we needed more red brick and biege stucco. I preferred the dark stucco and hardiplank look, personally.

I was wrong. This is the new version. YAY they made it better.

Edited by Guest