SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I think that this info may have already been reported here, but I'll risk it.

I drove by Canden and West today and saw banners listing retail for lease. You can see the banner and retail layouts here:

http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photos/CIE/charlotte//Property/40752_86063.pdf

and the basic leasing info is here:

http://www.charlottecpe.com/cpelink/property.cfm?PID=40752#

I don't have a good feel for current retail lease rates but the $29-$32 per sq ft being asked seems kinda high for Charlotte.

Yeah, $18,000/month for a 600 sqft. store is a little crazy! That would not be viable for any quirky boutiques that I would hope would pop up there.

Retail prices are based on the year, not month. A 600 square foot retail space would rent for 16,800 - $19,200 per year with retail prices or $29-$32/sq ft.

Retail prices are based on the year, not month. A 600 square foot retail space would rent for 16,800 - $19,200 per year with retail prices or $29-$32/sq ft.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. In that case, a monthly rent of $1,400 - $1,600 doesn't seem that bad to me for 600 sqft. of retail at this location. But then again I have no experience in retail rentals, so I don't know if that is a realistic price or not.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. In that case, a monthly rent of $1,400 - $1,600 doesn't seem that bad to me for 600 sqft. of retail at this location. But then again I have no experience in retail rentals, so I don't know if that is a realistic price or not.

It's high. I think low to mid $20s is what they'll end up doing deals at. 

Sounds like the city, county and cccp have come up with $100000 to study /  plan / design the rail trail park.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/26/4265643/study-to-firm-up-plans-for-charlotte.html

Please tell me why this tiny (but very important) project might take 10 years to build???? What has happened to this town?

Edited by kermit

As bad as Junction 1504 is, it has created a large amount of pedestrian activity along the rail trail and Dunavant. Clearly Spectrum was not enough critical mass on its own. When Silos and Colonial finally open up the area is really going to be busy.

Sounds like the city, county and cccp have come up with $100000 to study / plan / design the rail trail park.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/26/4265643/study-to-firm-up-plans-for-charlotte.html

Please tell me why this tiny (but very important) project might take 10 years to build???? What has happened to this town?

Running out of money?

That is especially frustrating given the ENTIRE POINT of the strategy is to use the current trail that exists and find ways to reasonably embellish it, like adding seating or art or connections to businesses, etc.   The rail trail is already there. 5 years is something, "to 10" means it is never happening.  

Poindexter extension is now open. You can drive (or bike) from South blvd to Youngblood through the half finished Silos project. The rail trail on the east (e.g. South blvd) side is open to Poindexter so it makes a better (less trafficy) detour down to New Bern (via Youngblood) than the previous Remount-Youngblood jog. I am irritated that Silos is still dragging their feet on finishing the west side of the trail.

On a positive note, I had forgotten that the Silos pool is going in at the base of the three silos. They were tiling the pool today and it looks pretty good (for what it is). On a negative note, I think they might have a lousy construction manager -- few buildings are dried in (many doors and windows are missing) but the kitchen cabinets have been delivered to the site and are being warehoused in several open garages.

Colonial only looks to be getting further from completion. Based on appearances today I fear that they might only be stochoing the back side.

Silos is better looking than I thought....

TRAIN PIC!!

not too shabby, its shaping up better than expected. I heard Silos Expansion has started and Park and Kingston Apts snapped a couple pix of their building progress.

64260808_LW-yq5xfJhX6I1WayW5CxKiKRmVJvf0

A few observations from a lunchtime bikeride:

1) demolition at the old McCloud center / Silos addition appears to be complete (the debris looked to be gone)

2) Foundation pouring has begun at Southline (they are still excavating at Publix).

3) I _think_ I can see grading that has been completed for the Southline side of the blue line pedestrian crossing (its roughly located between Spectrum and 1504)

4) I saw CDOT folks discussing site plans (and access) with a group of developer looking guys at the empty parcel at the corner of Remount and South

5) No exterior work was evident at Colonial

6) Cottages at Euclid appears to be 75% complete (3 of 4 buildings are now open). While its better than what was there before, each of the townhouse structures reminds me of a mcmansion.

A few observations from a lunchtime bikeride:

1) demolition at the old McCloud center / Silos addition appears to be complete (the debris looked to be gone)

2) Foundation pouring has begun at Southline (they are still excavating at Publix).

3) I _think_ I can see grading that has been completed for the Southline side of the blue line pedestrian crossing (its roughly located between Spectrum and 1504)

4) I saw CDOT folks discussing site plans (and access) with a group of developer looking guys at the empty parcel at the corner of Remount and South

6) Cottages at Euclid appears to be 75% complete (3 of 4 buildings are now open). While its better than what was there before, each of the townhouse structures reminds me of a mcmansion.

What you don't have a Phone with a Camera?!?!!?! ;-)

Silos has its first occupants (I counted two occupied units this evening).

Now that its getting closer to finished my impression of Silos (and a non-architecture nerd) is that it is a pretty good project. It has a nice vaguely European vibe which blends nicely with what is left of its industrial surroundings.

Fountains also fits really well with its surroundings in scale and design.

Junction on the other hand....

Silos has its first occupants (I counted two occupied units this evening).

Now that its getting closer to finished my impression of Silos (and a non-architecture nerd) is that it is a pretty good project. It has a nice vaguely European vibe which blends nicely with what is left of its industrial surroundings.

Fountains also fits really well with its surroundings in scale and design.

Junction on the other hand....

Silos has a European vibe? These architects wouldn't know what European was if Gaudi resurrected from the dead and sat on their face!   :silly:

• Like 1

Whoever said this was an idiot. The facade is progressing and the brick (all the way around) looks pretty good. Unfortunately the windows suck.

Concrete work at Southline is progressing rapidly. At this rate it will be done before Colonial.

The rail trail should reopen from Poindexter ext to New Bern very soon (they were finishing curb work there today). It will probably be a while before the trail on the west side of the tracks is reopened from Remount to Poindexter ext (I suspect it will remain closed through stage 2 of Silos construction). The trail on the east side of the tracks (Goodbottle side) is open. I do hope that Silos will make it possible to walk from the trail back to Griffith when phase 1 is compete, that should substantially increase foot traffic around Triple C.

New Bern has become a busy pedestrian street thanks to Fountains supplementing traffic from the CHA facilities on Tryon. I have seen quite a few yuppsters walking to and from the grocery store recently.