SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Oh yeah! Forgot to post permits were issued for that. Exciting. 

This is part of the land the atlanta beerworks people bought, so interested to hear their plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a middle eastern run Li'l General store for years and had the most a-MAY-zing adult magazines. They were all out and available for perusal. It was dimly lit inside and looked ready to be taken out by some troubled characters with a gun but the operators were quite tough looking themselves and I am sure were ready and eager to test their aim. Plus they all wore the most choking amount of cologne. I paid for my gas and escaped as soon as I could. I bought my mower gas as it was walking distance from the house. Glad it is gone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone remind me what retail is going here? 

I haven't heard of any tenants lined up yet, but there is one unit with a rooftop so expect a bar/restaurant there. I'd assume other smaller footprint national chains there (Smoothie King, etc).

53 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Harris Teeter signage is up! Last photo is progress of the Bainbridge apartments on the opposite corner.
172a35135c8f41361887d0840195ca28.jpg5bea169b222c2c9a178d46a9f2f20240.jpga2433f426d3250407140a586a46ebba1.jpgb239e552a7b7f19c934c959749ebe093.jpg08129dff894e3db64f0bf3d2e19152ee.jpgd3c5570fd26e77613d976e855b25b181.jpga4b4da66e8cb43b53316ad4a9fffedf2.jpg5b49e4435911c497f71acd77aae1d3e2.jpg

You know, I was really happy with the quality of this project for 90% of the time. However, I think I thought it was 85% completed the last time around, when in reality the exteriors were around 98% completed. I think this project really really fell short on quality. 

2 hours ago, sclark said:

Can someone remind me what retail is going here? 

I'm sure you will here this in the news tomorrow, since its now about to be public on UP but the only signed retail tenant right now is Holler and Dash a biscuit spot out of Alabama

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Its retro and that is what it looked like when Harris and Teeter supermarkets merged. I have seen something like that in old ads. 

I've never been a big fan of their current logo, but it's certainly an upgrade from that "generic gas station" look

• Like 1

Its retro and that is what it looked like when Harris and Teeter supermarkets merged. I have seen something like that in old ads. 

Sometimes retro is a great idea. When this is the piss poor result... not so much. I'm really unhappy with this project after being super happy for so long. Maybe some signage and awnings will dress it up some... if atherton turns out like this I'll be pissed.  

That Art Deco/Googie building in Plaza Midwood is actually kind of interesting, and the scale of the one on providence and queens is at least proportional, and the look sort of charming, but they failed on the mid century modern/modernist vibe completely.

I guess this is what HT looks like now that they are all Kroger.

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Sometimes retro is a great idea. When this is the piss poor result... not so much. I'm really unhappy with this project after being super happy for so long. Maybe some signage and awnings will dress it up some... if atherton turns out like this I'll be pissed.  

That Art Deco/Googie building in Plaza Midwood is actually kind of interesting, and the scale of the one on providence and queens is at least proportional, and the look sort of charming, but they failed on the mid century modern/modernist vibe completely.

I guess this is what HT looks like now that they are all Kroger.

My biggest issue is the color of the brick. If it were more yellow or lighter colored, while textured, i think it would look much better. Hopefully the accents break it up a little bit. It doesn't even look like it was value engineered, it looks like HT wanted to put a suburban store in an urban market. 

6 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

HT design fail.  Clumsy, ill-proportioned, poor choice of materials... you name it.

Small Windows, detail-less flat brick walls, poor placement and organization of too many facade treatments, and clunky features, just killed this project for me.

1 minute ago, AP3 said:

Honestly, it looks better in person.  The retail fronting South has some decent texture to the façade.

looks like a fairly well designed low slung, suburban industrial/commercial complex. Needs so much help. But what can I say, a lot of people are failing at this faux-modernist faux-midcentury aesthetic. 

30 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Honestly, it looks better in person.  The retail fronting South has some decent texture to the façade.

I'll echo this as well.  It's miles ahead of most anything else on S. Blvd and looks better in person than in these photos.  Maybe that's a testament to the craptiness of all the other projects on S. Blvd, but I'm totally okay with this one.  Especially considering what it replaced.  I also find the pedestrian scale pretty great.  It's a very approachable building. 

So that's gotta be worth something.  Considering this is generally my critique of every project in the city:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I'll echo this as well.  It's miles ahead of most anything else on S. Blvd and looks better in person than in these photos.  Maybe that's a testament to the craptiness of all the other projects on S. Blvd, but I'm totally okay with this one.  Especially considering what it replaced.  I also find the pedestrian scale pretty great.  It's a very approachable building. 

So that's gotta be worth something.  Considering this is generally my critique of every project in the city:

I live across the street, and am very excited with how approachable it is as well.

• Like 2