SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Unless Charlotte decides to build service alleys behind every block, we're going to get stuck with at least one mechanical/service wall on most new buildings. Sad to say, but that's just how this city was built. Maybe if it was done differently "right?" from the beginning - but there's your chicken or egg thing again? I'd say that egg was laid in 1770.

And just to clarify, there are aspects of the building that I do like. For example, I wish more office buildings would employ balconies like this one does. But in general it seems like the developer approached this with a suburban mindset forced into a urban location.

Edit- I'm a little confused now, are those vents HVAC related or louvers for the parking garage? If the HVAC is in the basement level, what's up on the roof?

Edited by tozmervo

There are about to be a lot of new people living in Southend...can't wait to see it. Now we need a bit more cafe, restaurant, and dining options!

I wish all of these thousands of new apartments would have had equivalent amount of retail and restaurant spaces opening at ground level. It seems like almost all of the apartments cut out or have very limiting space for retail space (10k sq ft seems to be a magical number). I love the design of Ashton and although its size is mammoth for its location I think it will fit in much better in a few years once there is more density and height. Still disappointed it cut its retail space. Millennium we will have to see but they are moving quickly, as last time they only had the steel up for the deck. Circle is a lot better than the original site plans. I think its scale works well, also, although it will be interesting to see how much street presence it plays and how well those "park alleys" work and how the gaps play with pedestrian activity along S. Blvd. It's likely the picture, but in the LYNX side where the townhomes (?) are for Circle seem to be really close to the LYNX and station. This isn't really a bad thing, just an observation- and I think this is the first project to be right at the footsteps of a LYNX station. As long as its not close enough to disrupt any pedestrian activity around the stations, I look forward to seeing more developments act directly with LYNX and its stations. It's going to add another perspective when traveling LYNX through S. End.

Edited by Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...

Circle is a lot better than the original site plans. I think its scale works well, also, although it will be interesting to see how much street presence it plays and how well those "park alleys" work and how the gaps play with pedestrian activity along S. Blvd. It's likely the picture, but in the LYNX side where the townhomes (?) are for Circle seem to be really close to the LYNX and station. This isn't really a bad thing, just an observation- and I think this is the first project to be right at the footsteps of a LYNX station. As long as its not close enough to disrupt any pedestrian activity around the stations, I look forward to seeing more developments act directly with LYNX and its stations. It's going to add another perspective when traveling LYNX through S. End.

Sorry, but its still a mostly gated residential development with minimal retail. I doubt it will do anything to enhance street activity other than put a sidewalk back where its been missing To be positive about C, the only redeeming quality of this building is that its next to the LRT station and that they didn't take out ALL of the retail like the Ashton did.

Does anyone know what is being built on the land between Lincoln, Church, and Winnifred? I saw a post several pages back about 1225 Church apartments being proposed but I think this fell through. Since then, I have heard that it could be 200 condos or 200 apartments and it might have some street level retail. I live at the Block at Church St. so I've been watching them tear everything down on that plot of land for weeks. I'm dying to know what's going across the street from me!

Edited by WonderWoman

Does anyone know what is being built on the land between Lincoln, Church, and Winnifred? I saw a post several pages back about 1225 Church apartments being proposed but I think this fell through. Since then, I have heard that it could be 200 condos or 200 apartments and it might have some street level retail. I live at the Block at Church St. so I've been watching them tear everything down on that plot of land for weeks. I'm dying to know what's going across the street from me!

WonderWoman, I love the name btw. For clarification purposes, are you sure u mean the land between Lincold Church and Winnifred? I was under the impression this was "THE" Land for The Block. Are you talking about the parcel accross lincoln from the block? I thought originally this was supposed to be an extention of the Block but they scrapped it because of the Market.

I posted the info about the apartments and as far as I know it is still true.

Chris Branch stopped selling the land to Ryan after Ryan was in technical default. He is now selling the land to an apartment developer (maybe joint venturing?). I'm not sure if the renderings I posted a while back are current, but the general plan is still apartments. They will go as you described, between Lincoln, Winnifred, Church and the Catholic Diocese.

When did you hear that the apartments fell through? Do you know who the supposed developer was? I can't think of their name off the topic of my head, as it's not a familiar name in Charlotte, but I'd recognize it if you said it.

WonderWoman, I love the name btw. For clarification purposes, are you sure u mean the land between Lincold Church and Winnifred? I was under the impression this was "THE" Land for The Block. Are you talking about the parcel accross lincoln from the block? I thought originally this was supposed to be an extention of the Block but they scrapped it because of the Market.

Yes, I am talking about the huge plot of land between Lincoln, Church, and Winnifred and Carson, I believe, is on the North End. The Block is between Lincoln, Church, Winnifred, and Bland, so I can see why there may have been some confusion. I am talking about the land North of The Block at Church Street. It was originally supposed to be an extension of The Block but the The Boulevard Company decided to sell the land to someone else. I have asked everyone, including the construction workers who tore down the trees and warehouses over there, what is going up but I keep hearing different responses. If anyone knows anything, I would love to know what is in fact going up! For right now, though, I have an amazing view of Uptown so I think it would be great if it was something very flat, like a nice big dog park :-).

Edited by WonderWoman

I posted the info about the apartments and as far as I know it is still true.

Chris Branch stopped selling the land to Ryan after Ryan was in technical default. He is now selling the land to an apartment developer (maybe joint venturing?). I'm not sure if the renderings I posted a while back are current, but the general plan is still apartments. They will go as you described, between Lincoln, Winnifred, Church and the Catholic Diocese.

When did you hear that the apartments fell through? Do you know who the supposed developer was? I can't think of their name off the topic of my head, as it's not a familiar name in Charlotte, but I'd recognize it if you said it.

One of the sales reps at The Block said the apartment complex originally proposed wasn't happening but she didn't know any more than that. Also, a neighbor of mine found some blueprints or something somewhere that caused him to believe it would either be condos or apartments in the range of 200-250 units with some retail space which differs quite a bit from the original apartment renderings for 1225 Church. A construction worker asked his foreman for me and he told me it would be 200 condos. So, I don't know what to believe at this point! I have no idea who the developer is. Condos wouldn't make much sense to me since there haven't been any announcements or presales before breaking ground. Apartments don't make a whole lot of sense, either, because there are tons of other apartment complexes being built within the immediate area. It's gotta be a park ;-)!

Edited by WonderWoman

Buiding permits submitted in September say 200 apartments, 3,200 sq. ft. of retail.

To most construction workers, condos/apartments are used interchangably.

The renderings I posted were for 400 units and some retail. There were 2 separate buildings (one fronting Winnifred and one fronting Church. I don't know if this is being phased and the renderings still apply or if it was redesigned (shrunk).

400_Apartment_Multi_Family_for_Urbana_Architectural_Group.jpg

So Local doesn't look any closer to opening even though their website gives October as the opening date. And there's now a real estate "for sale" sign by this building on Remount. I was really looking forward to Local - does anyone know if their opening was axed for economic reasons?

• 2 weeks later...

I see LOTS of EIFS on that design. The scale is good to me, though. I somehow prefer these 4-8 story buildings over the townhouses that Ryan would have put in.

The CBJ confirms that he got financing to move forward with the first phase (200 out of a total 400 units) at 1225 S Church.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../17/story1.html

It also reconfirms the foreclosure of the Broad Street land, and the postponement of the Colonial Project (at Poindexter and South), and the Post project at Remount and South. All of these are generally known facts on this board, but I figured I'd resummarize here since it is confirmed in the news.

Ashton and Circle will be completed in 2009 at a total of 610 units. In 2010, 601 units will be completed in Millenium and Spectrum. All four of those are already under construction.

Ladies and gents, we have a job sign & rendering to boot:

IMG_7727-1.jpg

The ground floor and sidewalk seem really... suburban. It is interesting, though, that they chose to use the light rail side of this project to advertise it.

Also, classic LS3P. Not only do we get a round tower, but a fin, too!

Ladies and gents, we have a job sign & rendering to boot:

IMG_7727-1.jpg

The ground floor and sidewalk seem really... suburban. It is interesting, though, that they chose to use the light rail side of this project to advertise it.

Also, classic LS3P. Not only do we get a round tower, but a fin, too!

I hate to admit but I don't hate it. i dig the density and the look isn't too suburban. I just wonder how you sell condos without a skyline view. The office tower completely makes skyline views nearly impossible.

Edit:

http://www.harrisdevelopmentgroup.com/prop...tails.cfm?id=78

Looking at the way the tower is oriented many people will see around the office tower and have a pretty good view of downtown.

Edited by Guest

My beef is that the sidewalk/plaza just seems like wasteland, and all that concrete along Carson blvd will be in perpetual shade to boot. It's like they just decided to just pave over the land that was left over after determining a building footprint - it has no integration into the street at all. We've already got plenty of that uptown without adding to it in South End.

Additionally, it looks like both entrances/exits into the deck are off South Blvd. That stretch of South already gets messy with people tearing out of uptown in the evening (just try crossing at Bland and count how many people run the light in a desperate attempt to get back to the suburbs as fast as possible). I wonder how they plan to contend with cars making a left out of the complex.