Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Interesting chart on downtown landuses from the NYT. Charlotte’s numbers seem a bit out of whack to me, I would not have guessed there was that much residential. I am also guessing that the ‘other’ category is mostly stadia. (The data are from Costar (Their data tends to be sloppy) and uses their boundary for downtown, I do not know how that boundary matches the inner 277 area).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/07/07/upshot/downtown-office-vulnerable-even-before-covid.html

D94B13B6-1C7B-4234-94CD-4EE807A97C1B.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I'd love to know what counts as Washington's "downtown"

I was thinking the same thing.  Probably K St and Pennsylvania Avenue from near Farragut West area to Foggy Bottom.

It totally makes sense to me that San Diego is at the bottom of that list with mostly residential.  I go to a gym downtown -- East Village area -- and there are towers all around, but almost every one of them is residential.  Same thing with Little Italy on the other side of downtown.   While there are office towers in the core of downtown, most jobs are up in the UTC area in northern San Diego, not downtown.

Charlotte seems about right to me when you consider First Ward (Garden District), Third Ward and Fourth Ward.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Probably K St and Pennsylvania Avenue from near Farragut West area to Foggy Bottom.

It totally makes sense to me that San Diego is at the bottom of that list with mostly residential.  I go to a gym downtown -- East Village area -- and there are towers all around, but almost every one of them is residential.  Same thing with Little Italy on the other side of downtown.   While there are office towers in the core of downtown, most jobs are up in the UTC area in northern San Diego, not downtown.

Charlotte seems about right to me when you consider First Ward (Garden District), Third Ward and Fourth Ward.

I am also curious to what they are considering Charlottes DT. Is SouthEnd thrown in there? What are the boundaries. 

52 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am also curious to what they are considering Charlottes DT. Is SouthEnd thrown in there? What are the boundaries. 

Per Co-star's website, CBD is everything within the 277 loop, with the exception of the industrial properties off Clarkson leading into the Pipe and Foundry property. SouthEnd is a different sub-market. 

https://www.costar.com/about/SubmarketMaps.aspx

http://gateway.costar.com/imageviewer/GetImage.aspx?webpimage=subMktMaps/9/CBD_off.jpg

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kermit said:

Not specific to Charlotte but Emily Badger has an excellent column on “the end of cities” prophecies.

To illustrate the absurdity of the ‘end of cities’ mantra she points out that no one in the UK or France is suggesting that the pandemic will be the end of London or Paris. This perspective is a uniquely American one.

its a great piece and well worth burning one of your free NYT articles for.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/upshot/covid-cities-predictions-wrong.html

The end of cities concept never made sense. People live in cities for the variety of options. Even in a mid size city like Charlotte, the amount of things you can do with in a 5 minute drive is staggering. Suburban life gets monotonously boring, especially if you are single or in a non child relationship. (Not for everyone of course). Rural life can be filled with daily activities, but you might have to drive 40 minutes to a grocery, so its not for everyone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

The 1.7-acre site on two parcels contains an old car shop, surface parking lot and a vacant storefront that used to be Fourth Ward Bread Co. It has a façade that some neighbors have expressed interest in preserving in the design of any new building

What do we think UP? Place your bets on the developer saving a legit brick storefront. Haha. I think we all know the answer to that one. *starts humming Another one bites the dust*

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What do we think UP? Place your bets on the developer saving a legit brick storefront. Haha. I think we all know the answer to that one. *starts humming Another one bites the dust*

image.jpeg

I know Charlotte wants to hold on to some sort of heritage, but I see this as a fairly slight and plain 2-story brick box with some ornamentation in the front.  If a developer can replicate some of that ornamentation and the materials, while giving us a fully filled-in block and a building that frames the street-scape, then I'm not looking to complicate the builder's life or the economics.

• Like 1

Given this is in the Historic District and both the demolition of all existing structures and design of any new structure must be approved by the HDC, there is a chance it will be preserved, though I don't know how the current commissioners would feel about a Facadectomy.  The trend in recent years nationally in historic renovations has been against Facadectomies.  I actually suspect the commissioners would stipulate the entirely of the original building be preserved, which as you can see from aerial's is 80-100' deep, if any is to be kept.

If that's the case, they would propose replacing it, as there would be no economical way to incorporate the entire structure.

I know of 2 facades in downtown Norfolk, VA that have been incorporated into new development in the last five or so years. One was for the new Hilton hotel and the other was for a mid-rise apartment building. I believe both projects are better for keeping the facades.

I like this facade in Charlotte and hope it can remain.

• Like 2

I'm suspecting the proposed development on that site will have the look and quality of the Fifth & Popular condos to mesh with the 4th ward vibe.

A little off topic of above (but still Graham st)...you know the most discreet block on that st is the Bethune School (10th & Graham) which I pass almost daily but it's just so random and I never really pay attention to it.  I bet a lot of ppl haven't noticed it either.  It's a massive block and is near the potential silver line station...just thinking if that area were to be redeveloped, would make that intersection feel a lot safer and friendlier for foot traffic.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2