Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quietly, :whistling: i think urbanplanet would be a great name for a restaurant...or at least a trendy store (might be biting off of urban outfitters), but i was of course thinking it would be more upscale. i definately think that we currently :wacko: have more than enough steak eateries in the area. :wub: and since i am a big fan of seafood...(input Homer Simpson :shok: gurgling sound here) UrbanPlanet Jewels of the Sea it will be!

Quietly, :whistling: i think urbanplanet would be a great name for a restaurant...or at least a trendy store (might be biting off of urban outfitters), but i was of course thinking it would be more upscale. i definately think that we currently :wacko: have more than enough steak eateries in the area. :wub: and since i am a big fan of seafood...(input Homer Simpson :shok: gurgling sound here) UrbanPlanet Jewels of the Sea it will be!

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I think this tower will introduce a new kind of diversity to Columbia's skyline, I wish it were just a little more architecturally adventurous, like this 22-story glass tower planned for Buckhead in Atlanta (only with a more pedestrian-friendly base):

phipps_1.jpg

phipps_2.jpg

That rendering doesn't say 'come in' to me. The rendering for Columbia's new tower does. The glass doesn't look as reflective. Also, I think the Atlanta rendering is too busy. One day more people will appreciate the exquisiteness that is to found in simplicity. Those are the buildings I gravitate toward and gaze at the longest.

The rendering we've seen is very basic; I'd like to see more extensive renderings before I draw any conclusions about City Center. I've liked the other two projects by Holder and I love the rendering for Assembly Station so I'm withholding judgment until I see better renderings.

That rendering doesn't say 'come in' to me. The rendering for Columbia's new tower does. The glass doesn't look as reflective. Also, I think the Atlanta rendering is too busy. One day more people will appreciate the exquisiteness that is to found in simplicity. Those are the buildings I gravitate toward and gaze at the longest.

Krazee is right. The street level design is critical. The building above it can be ugly as sin but if it functions well at the street, it will serve the urban environment well and improve its surroundings. Fortunately this building is not ugly, even if it appears to be somewhat generic at this point.

I refer back to the city's urban planner's response:

The project was in the newspaper prior to the presentation. Because it was informational, no action was taken; however, a subcommittee will be held at the City Planning office on Thursday, December 13th at 9:00 a.m. to discuss the project in anticipation of a January request for Certificate of Design Approval and Certificate of Site Plan approval. The meeting is open to the public, as there will likely be a quorum of the DDRC; however no action will be taken at the subcommittee.

Archived