Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

It's remarkable how different N. Tryon is looking with the light rail.

I'm holding out hope that someday, someone might build some street front retail in the parking lot where Kohls is. They could build something two levels with the 2nd level being street level and the 1st level having their storefronts facing the parking lot.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Niner National said:

It's remarkable how different N. Tryon is looking with the light rail.

I'm holding out hope that someday, someone might build some street front retail in the parking lot where Kohls is. They could build something two levels with the 2nd level being street level and the 1st level having their storefronts facing the parking lot.

I would love to see front-facing retail at the corner of N. Tryon and JW Clay, at the northwest corner. Maybe anchor a grocery store like a Publix.

Apologies for the ignorance, but can someone explain to me exactly how connectivity at the 25th street station is going to work? Right now 25th breaks as it goes over Little Sugar Creek and there is that scary @$$ junk yard near there. How is it planned to connect the station to N Davidson seamlessly? 

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Apologies for the ignorance, but can someone explain to me exactly how connectivity at the 25th street station is going to work? Right now 25th breaks as it goes over Little Sugar Creek and there is that scary @$$ junk yard near there. How is it planned to connect the station to N Davidson seamlessly? 

The city has purchased the necessary ROW to build a bridge and extend it to Brevard. Also there will soon be a mixed-use(ish) development on the south side of 25th at Brevard.

23 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The city has purchased the necessary ROW to build a bridge and extend it to Brevard. Also there will soon be a mixed-use(ish) development on the south side of 25th at Brevard.

I'm more concerned about getting to Davidson. As it stands you'd have to walk down Brevard to Jordan Pl and then backdown Davidson to get to Free Range and stuff. Seems ridiculous. They need to bridge over little sugar creek. Plans for that? Or did you mean Davidson instead of Brevard? (Kind of assume based on your bridge comment). 

Edited by Jayvee

27 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I'm more concerned about getting to Davidson. As it stands you'd have to walk down Brevard to Jordan Pl and then backdown Davidson to get to Free Range and stuff. Seems ridiculous. They need to bridge over little sugar creek. Plans for that? Or did you mean Davidson instead of Brevard? (Kind of assume based on your bridge comment). 

The street is going to go from N Davidson to Brevard, with a bridge over the creek and connections to the greenway from the street. 

You can see the Brevard side's part of the road on this site plan for that one development

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

25th St Station is in a bit of an odd spot.  So close to Parkwood and no access from Tryon.  

25th St connects all the up into Villa Heights, over to The Plaza, so it makes sense to me. A 16th St station would have been nice, but they figured having a direct connection up to the hill on Parkwood was smarter than making it exclusively easy-access for Optimist Park (also there were apparently issues with the grading from coming down from the bridge over the CSX line, not flat enough for a station); though I still feel like something closer to 16th would have been worth it, just for the N Tryon connection.

Parkwood and 25th are about as close as Carson and Bland. Would be nice to see similar density then as South End, but Optimist Park can only support half-circles of TOD, given the rail yard.  And the creek eats into the develop-able area as well.  At least, the Greenway could add to the Blue Line as a near-term catalyst to sooner transform what limited land area there is.

25th Street Station is the opposite of odd.   The transit-oriented development potential is the highest around that location.   They're not planning to serve the transit needs of trailer container and truck parking lot businesses, they are looking at that whole zone as the primary redevelopment zone as the area transitions from industrial intermodal transportation businesses to urban mixed use.   This will clearly be the most comparable to south end density growth in NoDa, as the area around 36th is very limited in area.  (Hopefully NoDa will pull better aesthetic designs, though). 

They originally had the station at 28th, but shifted it south a bit to be in the middle of this clear redevelopment zone.     Villa Heights will clearly also attract investment and this is their station.  25th will be bridged soon and with it turning into Everett Place, connections are far shorter into Villa Heights with the 25th street location.  

1 hour ago, dubone said:

25th Street Station is the opposite of odd.   The transit-oriented development potential is the highest around that location.   They're not planning to serve the transit needs of trailer container and truck parking lot businesses, they are looking at that whole zone as the primary redevelopment zone as the area transitions from industrial intermodal transportation businesses to urban mixed use.   This will clearly be the most comparable to south end density growth in NoDa, as the area around 36th is very limited in area.  (Hopefully NoDa will pull better aesthetic designs, though). 

They originally had the station at 28th, but shifted it south a bit to be in the middle of this clear redevelopment zone.     Villa Heights will clearly also attract investment and this is their station.  25th will be bridged soon and with it turning into Everett Place, connections are far shorter into Villa Heights with the 25th street location.  

Villa Heights will be the Bushwick of Charlotte. Its always been amazing that Noda has had so much going for it, but 20 blocks of land between it and uptown has been so downtrodden. I just hope gentrification doesn't completely destroy the neighborhood.

^ regardlss your definition of 'gentrifier,' Villa Heights was 'gentrified' (from a housing price perspective) five years ago. 

In Charlotte, investors (not hipsters) generally blaze the gentrification trail.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1