Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

On 11/29/2015, 8:07:26, kermit said:

Its three vehicles coupled together. The Blue Line is currently limited to two vehicle trains. Here is a three car train in Denver:

While this upgrade will certainly be helpful on game days I really do think it would have been better (and possibly cheaper)  to run additional frequencies instead of increasing capacity. Shrug...

I doubt it's cheaper to run shorter trains more frequently. You'd need more vehicles and more drivers to operate them. Still, I'd rather there be higher frequencies for all transit in Charlotte.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

I doubt it's cheaper to run shorter trains more frequently. You'd need more vehicles and more drivers to operate them. Still, I'd rather there be higher frequencies for all transit in Charlotte.

Yea, I should have been more specific. When accounting for the capital cost of platform extensions and electrics it might be cheaper to to just hire more drivers and run higher frequency small trains (the Blue Line retrofit is going to cost about $40 million -- that would hire a lot of drivers). High frequency small trains and low frequency large trains would likely use the same number of vehicles, so that part of costs is likely a wash.   

[having said all that I do understand that money for capital expansion is more heavily subsidized by the feds than operations costs]

17 hours ago, tozmervo said:

A handful of BLE photos - Parkwood Station (split platform), 25th St Station (center platform), progress on the new 36th St overpass, and the massive columns around Craighead Rd.

2015-12-06_15.16.27.jpg

2015-12-06_15.17.55.jpg

2015-12-06_15.23.38.jpg

2015-12-06_15.23.45.jpg

2015-12-06_15.27.15.jpg

2015-12-06_15.27.22.jpg

SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! God wish they'd go ahead and open this thing up in phases. Having a train to NoDa in time for the AllStar Game would be huge.

This is hilarious! http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/56274373-story  

a local TV station is beotching about the Blue Line not having enough capacity. Somebody sent them phone video of (not so bad) crushloading following the Billy Joel concert. Its quite a change for a local media source to flatly say that we don"t have enough transit.

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

a local TV station is beotching about the Blue Line not having enough capacity. Somebody sent them phone video of (not so bad) crushloading following the Billy Joel concert. Its quite a change for a local media source to flatly say that we don"t have enough transit.

Hahaha. More like every weekday at 5:30

The BLE will likely help a lot of it, as I believe a lot of it is people park-and-riding in to avoid traffic.   So there will be certainly some that will do that at northeastern stations and get on trains going in the other direction.  

TV News will always find a negative angle of everything, but it at least we are only a couple years away from increasing our capacity and mileage. 

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Some of my most enjoyable experiences in Washington DC, Boston, etc, have been cramming onto a packed train. The camaraderie is unparalleled! 

I am always amazed at the "coordinated chaos" of the subway when I am in NYC or Chicago. It can be overwhelming or odd from an outsider perspective (like me!). It's just amazing to see the social contract or code that people simply follow. For example, it blows my mind how efficiently a chaotic mass of people can enter/exit a subway car in like 30 seconds. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get left behind or stuck in. 

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Ahh yes, the same news outlets that would probably complain if we build new transit/light rail lines saying we don't have the money. 

• Like 1

Please...Try carrying three bags of groceries AND a crap ton of heavy stuff from IKEA in one of their big blue bags on the MTR in Hong Kong during rush hour. I was never lucky when I lived in Hong Kong. Whenever I seemed to be riding the train carrying things that were heavy, it was packed.

Regardless, nice to see people complaining we need more transit.

2 hours ago, queensguy06 said:

In that last picture, what is going on to the left there?  Looks like there will be a set of rails branching off on the other side of the fence?

That will be the North storage yard for the vehicles. Its not small, you can see cat poles extending ever further towards the NS yard.  

Given the size of this yard, plus the existing service facilitiy at New Bern, I am puzzled that they needed a separate storage facility for the streetcar at French st for Phase II.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, dubone said:

Yeah, i realized it a while back, but my default expectation was like yours.      It is going to the station that has artistic canopies that look like sheets swaying on a clothes line.   It is my station, and I like it.  

This is my station.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  It is my life.  I must master it as I must master my life.  Without me my station is useless.  Without my station, I am useless.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

This is my station.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  It is my life.  I must master it as I must master my life.  Without me my station is useless.  Without my station, I am useless.

What is your major malfunction? 

Edit: and Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1