Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

28 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

I just discovered this forum today.  What an amazing place.  Looking forward to contributing down the line.  For starters, I give you this:

IMG_0011.JPG

What used to be a trash dump in the back of the JW parking lot, is now at least something.  Note the chainlink fencing is being replaced with black iron looking fencing.

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing and WELCOME to urban planet 

10 hours ago, ah59396 said:

You got some guts.  I ride my bike through there and am fairly certain I'm about to be murdered on a regular basis.

I live in the area, I realized, for the most part, the outdoor drug deals are fading away, and what's left are the people that just enjoy hanging out on their block. Plus, there's a leveling effect that comes from walking and saying hi to folks as opposed to just riding through, which I used to do on the reg and always felt like an interloper.

A lot of it is a cultural barrier with a natural racial component. Belmont has more home ownership than Villa Heights, etc, so I feel in the long term it has a better chance at true integration as opposed to the typical displacement patterns, to a certain extent. At least that's my take.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I live in the area, I realized, for the most part, the outdoor drug deals are fading away, and what's left are the people that just enjoy hanging out on their block. Plus, there's a leveling effect that comes from walking and saying hi to folks as opposed to just riding through, which I used to do on the reg and always felt like an interloper.

A lot of it is a cultural barrier with a natural racial component. Belmont has more home ownership than Villa Heights, etc, so I feel in the long term it has a better chance at true integration as opposed to the typical displacement patterns, to a certain extent. At least that's my take.

I hope you're right.  I ride the whole city and feel comfortable throughout virtually all of it.  The only place I ever feel kinda sketched is at that pod of buildings in Belmont (the rest of Belmont doesn't give me that feel) and in front of the small strip mall in Grier Heights.  Mostly just due to the large number of people standing basically in the roadway, staring at me like I stare at filet mignon.  Also, I'm not claiming these people are zombies or cannibals, I don't think they are actually going to eat me.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Mostly just due to the large number of people standing basically in the roadway, staring at me like I stare at filet mignon.  Also, I'm not claiming these people are zombies or cannibals, I don't think they are actually going to eat me.  

No, only your soul. 

Also, us white men on bikes can look pretty nerdy in our active wear without even trying.

The loitering issue is why the neighborhood's putting on a weekly block party at Allen St and Belmont Ave. Mostly trying to give the block a better reputation (even some older residents aren't a fan of that block's regulars). Kickoff event is Saturday May 14th at 10:30a!

Edited by SgtCampsalot