Project Skyline

g-man430

I think we'd probably come much closer to figuring out the company that already has a presence in the state than we would the Florida company. The in-state corporation is much bigger potatoes anyway (although the hundreds of millions of dollars the Florida company is investing is nothing to sneeze at either).

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we'd probably come much closer to figuring out the company that already has a presence in the state than we would the Florida company. The in-state corporation is much bigger potatoes anyway (although the hundreds of millions of dollars the Florida company is investing is nothing to sneeze at either).

This could be a dead-end though. What is to keep a FL corporation from creating a new SC corporation? It could just be that the SC corp. is merely to set up this project under SC laws. The funding could still be via the FL corporation. There are very few, if any, true SC companies capable of something this big.

^If you're talking about companies based in SC, I would agree, but what I gathered from the article was that the SC company has a presence within the state, not that it's necessarily based here. But I do see your point.

I guess it's possible that a FL company could be setting up HQ's here, as well as a company that has operations within the state, but not it's HQ's--resulting in two corporate HQ's.

I've actually heard the same rumors as G-man, and they are coming from some pretty credible people. I'm pretty sure the News has heard them too, and is working on a story right now to trump ours that will get to the street Thursday afternoon.

^^^I want to know which company will be moving their headquarters here and where it will be located. My top pick is downtown at county square or gateway site, my second pick is the southern connector, and my third pick is somewhere along I-85 or I-385. Maybe that word "skyline" does have a meaning, especially if the headquarters were to be built at county square.

One key element to keep in mind is that the total capital investment, which is an incredible amount of money, would be spent in anticipation of much greater profit in the end. This means that they have a specific reason to include the mixed-use components which include attractions for the public (hotels, businesses, & etc.). They don't plan to invest this much capital without a solid assurance that they will reap much more profit in return. This is why I think either the corporation(s) is/are huge, or the development is geared toward attracting more visitors and/or businesses.

Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be something in the sports industry? Whomever mentioned NASCAR earlier (it was back at least a couple pages in this thread) may have been onto something, considering one of Greenville's primary magnets at this time may very easily be the automotive industry. Being positioned along I-85 between Atlanta and Charlotte, plus near mountains and big lakes has to add to the appeal, I would imagine. While it may not be NASCAR itself, one could easily assume that something in the motorsports industry would warrant the large-scale "mixed-use" development that is being proposed, including the $115 million worth of infrustructure improvements over time. I have also considered that this could be a completely different sport altogether, although that is even less likely.

Still hoping for something massive downtown though, which reminds me that John Boyanoski wrote a blurb in the TBA a couple weeks ago about a Florida developer planning a new mixed-use development along the Reedy River in the West End area. :whistling:

^^^Can agree with most of that, but not all of it. Very few times are multi-county parks actually on or near the border of both counties. John Boyanski heard the same rumors I did from very credible sources. It would most likely go downtown and that's why the county is so involved, because it involves county square moving into a new tower. The 1st project does have to happen, but doesn't have to max out for the 2nd or 3rd one to occur. They all have to work together at once. One can't start without the other.

If this project is about county square moving, etc. then this is a whole lot of nothing. But, it would make sense for the county to buy into and try to sell the public on a multi-billion dollar project with millions of public dollars just to relocate. I am in hopes that this is a real accomplishment like BMW or the South Financial Group Headquarters. We don't need to give big tax benefits to something like the Verdae development which stretches out for years and years as normal market growth demands it. We want big tax benefits to go to something that absorbs vacancy and creates demand, not something that steals existing demand leaving vacancy behind and local businesses struggling. If you wouldn't move from a a state away to work in what's being created, then normal market growth and a few small incentives will take care of it.

To greenvillegrows, it's not just about county square moving. John Boyanski said it would consist of three different sites throughout the county and a large corporate headquarters. Butch Kirven told WYFF that the company looking to put their headquarters here has excellent financial status, a great track record, and is something Greenville and the entire upstate will be proud of if it goes through. Proof of that: http://www.wyff4.com/news/13244057/detail.html

Anyone thought about the possibility that could be a typo? An extra zero could have easily been accidentaly added. 30MM still seems a stretch, but could actually be feasible (and don't forget, he said it would be going for 15, so "half price" could actually seem plausible). I don't think anyone would type 300MM on purpose witha straight face. I am not sure a parcel that size on the edge of DT would go for 300MM in any city in the country (maybe NYC).

Archived